FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe new breastfeeding ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new breastfeeding ads
    Posted: 31 July 2008 at 10:38pm
What do you think of them?
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 10:40pm

Like the cervical smear ads I think they need to put white people in them too. I did a small bi%ch about them a few months ago. They need to have all cultures in them.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 11:49pm
I think they're OK. Not sure about the '6 months' thing, I know a lot of people say thats a magic time etc, but shouldn't it be as long as you can?

For me they just brought up feelings of inadequacy, but that's got more to do with my failure to breastfeed (I physically can not breastfeed) rather than the ads. I'm just a sensitive wee soul as I don't fail at anything, but I did at that (silly woman!)

I'm glad they don't show anything though, or show the baby feeding. I think the way they do it (with her just fixing up her top) is good. And its not because I don't believe in breastfeeding, just don't think it's everyone's cup of tea to see it IYKWIM.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 8:28am
Originally posted by mummy_becks mummy_becks wrote:

Like the cervical smear ads I think they need to put white people in them too. I did a small bi%ch about them a few months ago. They need to have all cultures in them.

um, am i going colour blind? i thought she was white. hubby said, yeah she's white - white trash!!!

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:09am
They are ok, but it makes me feel really stink that I cant breastfeed caden anymore.

I think they push breastfeeding too much and it makes mothers that cant breastfeed feel like they are failing their babies or doing something wrong by formula feeding....... we all know breastfeeding is best for baby in "most" cases, but its not in mine and a lot of other peoples.

I dont know, I guess Im a bit like emz, quite sensitive to things like this.

Edited by CadensMum

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:14am
I only caught the end of one, but I have to admit I thought "why do they need an ad on tv for breastfeeding?!"... I think everyone knows it's best (well, the majority of people). And yeah I feel for people who aren't able to do it for whatever reason, especially if they're feeling stink about it - this must be a pretty hard week being reminded about it constantly.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:14am
At the risk of being shot down in flames.....I am over the whole breastfeeding thing being pushed at people non stop. Everyone knows breast is best...anyone having a baby has this promoted to them by their MW, then the hosp and plunket so give up on the TV ads and put that money into actually helping those that want to feed but are struggling.

Rant over

BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:19am
hear, hear, Peanut

I've only caught the tail end of one, so I can't pass judgement on the ads themselves.

But, as Peanut said, we all KNOW it's best. But some women, for multitudes of reasons, just can't breastfeed. They WANT to, and would've done so if they could, but they can't.

I'm all for the promotion of breastfeeding, but I think there are other ways, mediums, to do it.

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:32am
I'm sorry but I'm a breast basher and damn proud!

Theres formula ads so why not advertise and promote breastfeeding too?

I also disagree with those of you that say EVERYONE KNOWS breast is best, I know several young mothers or pregnant females that don't plan to breastfeed or were very quick to stick their kids on a bottle - not due to them being unable to breastfeed, BECAUSE their friends bottlefed, they wanted to go back to drinking/clubbing asap, cracked nipples hurt too me (harden up guys!) they didn't want it to risk losing their shapely breasts...you'd be surprised at some of the excuses I've heard!

I personally think breastfeeding isn't promoted nearly enough, if it wasn't for me reading my parenting magazines, books, the net etc whilst pregnant I wouldn't have been as clued up as I am/was when Lucas was born, some of us don't have the luxuries of a decent midwife who explains these things. I went through several midwives whilst pregnant, none of which asked me whether I planned to breastfeed or went into any detail about it. Heck after Lucas was born I had to BEG an on call nurse to help me get him to latch because no one had offered.

Whether you breastfeed or bottlefeed its always going to be a sensitive subject, I get a bit pissy when someone says they bottlefeed but thats because I'm all for breast. I imagine the same goes for those who bottlefeed - they get annoyed when someone mentions breastfeeding for whatever reason.

I say if they advertise formula, then its only right that they advertise breastfeeding too.

I HAVE NOT seen these ads yet, but hopefully will do soon. And whats so wrong with them picturing a mother breastfeeding? Its a natural thing between mother and child, God if I'm out somewhere (specifically when the boy was a young baby) and he's hungry I'm not going to think about the people around me, my kids wanting breast so I'm going to give it to him. Get over it already!

ETA: I think that if the health benefits of breastfeeding were maybe promoted a bit more then maybe, just maybe more females (specifically younger mothers because that seems to be the trend I see) would actually consider breastfeeding for longer!

Edited by Mum2Lucas
Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
Bubnumber2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:33am
I don't have any particular problem with them, but to be honest I can't see a lot of point to them either.
I mean, how many parents/parents to be are out there that DON'T know about this 'breast is best' thing? I know ever since getting pregnant with my first, I've gotten the info coming in from all directions...whether I wanted it or not.
I find it difficult to believe that there are people who don't know about it, therefore I see little benefit to the ads.
On the other hand, it's not something that I'm going to worry about it...if there are ads for breast-feeding, then there are ads for breast-feeding. It's not too big of a deal really.

Is this a funded health ad? Why are there no ads prompting older/at risk men to get their prostates checked? Or are there? I've never seen any.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:37am
I know several young mothers or pregnant females that don't plan to breastfeed or were very quick to stick their kids on a bottle - not due to them being unable to breastfeed, BECAUSE their friends bottlefed, they wanted to go back to drinking/clubbing asap, they didn't want it to risk losing their shapely breasts...you'd be surprised at some of the excuses I've heard!

I've known people to choose bottle for these reasons also, but are television ads going to change that? It seems that they have a particular attitude towards it right from the start.
Does that mean they don't KNOW about it, or that they just aren't interested?
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:42am

I often miss the point and may have this time as well but I dont see the big problem with them.  To me they are just trying to normalise BFing and point out that it is a good thing and it isnt always easy (and WE all know that, even the FFers know that BF is good).    I take it that it is saying we should be thinking about giving it a go.  As Steph said, there are people out there that dont consider BFing at all ( and I am pretty sure all of you that cant BF still considered it and wanted to) but some people never wanted to for ignorant/selfish (?)  reasons (like wanting to drink, lose their shapely boobs etc).  These people need encouragement and thats what I felt these ads were about.

I also think that is the point of the breast is best campaign.  I dont (and I may be naiive here) think it is to jam it down our throats but more to reverse the message of generations that formula was better.  Maybe Breast is ok...is more accurate but it doesnt rhyme as nicely.

and I agree...I would like to see some men sitting around talking about getting their prostates checked...hehehe.

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:47am
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

I often miss the point and may have this time as well but I dont see the big problem with them. To me they are just trying to normalise BFing and point out that it is a good thing and it isnt always easy (and WE all know that, even the FFers know that BF is good).    I take it that it is saying we should be thinking about giving it a go. As Steph said, there are people out there that dont consider BFing at all ( and I am pretty sure all of you that cant BF still considered it and wanted to) but some people never wanted to for ignorant/selfish (?) reasons (like wanting to drink, lose their shapely boobs etc). These people need encouragement and thats what I felt these ads were about.

I also think that is the point of the breast is best campaign. I dont (and I may be naiive here) think it is to jam it down our throats but more to reverse the message of generations that formula was better. Maybe Breast is ok...is more accurate but it doesnt rhyme as nicely.

and I agree...I would like to see some men sitting around talking about getting their prostates checked...hehehe.

Well said, well said.
Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
Deez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:53am
I dont have a problem with the ads! They promote formula on telly why not BFing?

I dont think these ads were made to make women who cant BF for medical reasons sad or bad about not been physically able to BF, but for those women who can and choose not too think about their decision seriously.

Lycan and Peyton = Moon and back!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:00am
I also think that is the point of the breast is best campaign. I dont (and I may be naiive here) think it is to jam it down our throats but more to reverse the message of generations that formula was better.

I agree, at least when it comes to these particular ads.

I think the bigger problem perhaps, is that you get people, often strangers even, who feel it's their business to judge your choices. I think this is largely why formula feeders can feel these things are a bit too personal for them.
I changed to formula after a few weeks, I had multiple reasons to do so and I feel no need to justify these reasons to anyone...but there are people who expect you to.
I've known a stranger to come up to a friend of mine, who was bottle feeding her baby in a public place and call her a selfish bitch and bad parent...for not breast-feeding. I mean really, what business is it to anyone else?
In my own experience, I had a midwife who told me (when I was still breast-feeding but considering swapping) that she felt sorry for 'those babies who have mothers who feed them that awful crap'. I suggested formula once, and got told not to be stupid.

But then on the other hand, my Aunt said she got told by a stranger that she was 'disgusting' for breast-feeding her 10 month old baby, and she should have stopped at 6 months. It would seem there are ignorant and interfering people no matter what side of what argument you're on. Fact of life I guess. I just dislike the fact that people can expect someone else to justify themselves, just because their ideals differ.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:08am
Sorry, that post was a bit off topic.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Mum2Lucas Mum2Lucas wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm a breast basher and damn proud!

Theres formula ads so why not advertise and promote breastfeeding too?

I also disagree with those of you that say EVERYONE KNOWS breast is best, I know several young mothers or pregnant females that don't plan to breastfeed or were very quick to stick their kids on a bottle - not due to them being unable to breastfeed, BECAUSE their friends bottlefed, they wanted to go back to drinking/clubbing asap, cracked nipples hurt too me (harden up guys!) they didn't want it to risk losing their shapely breasts...you'd be surprised at some of the excuses I've heard!

I personally think breastfeeding isn't promoted nearly enough, if it wasn't for me reading my parenting magazines, books, the net etc whilst pregnant I wouldn't have been as clued up as I am/was when Lucas was born, some of us don't have the luxuries of a decent midwife who explains these things. I went through several midwives whilst pregnant, none of which asked me whether I planned to breastfeed or went into any detail about it. Heck after Lucas was born I had to BEG an on call nurse to help me get him to latch because no one had offered.

Whether you breastfeed or bottlefeed its always going to be a sensitive subject, I get a bit pissy when someone says they bottlefeed but thats because I'm all for breast. I imagine the same goes for those who bottlefeed - they get annoyed when someone mentions breastfeeding for whatever reason.

I say if they advertise formula, then its only right that they advertise breastfeeding too.

I HAVE NOT seen these ads yet, but hopefully will do soon. And whats so wrong with them picturing a mother breastfeeding? Its a natural thing between mother and child, God if I'm out somewhere (specifically when the boy was a young baby) and he's hungry I'm not going to think about the people around me, my kids wanting breast so I'm going to give it to him. Get over it already!

ETA: I think that if the health benefits of breastfeeding were maybe promoted a bit more then maybe, just maybe more females (specifically younger mothers because that seems to be the trend I see) would actually consider breastfeeding for longer!

But it is promoted, by your midwife, the hospital and plunket!! what more do we need.
Like I said, I personally dont like them, cos I cant breastfeed, therefore it makes me feel stink.

Thats all

edited for spelling

Edited by CadensMum

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

At the risk of being shot down in flames.....I am over the whole breastfeeding thing being pushed at people non stop. Everyone knows breast is best...anyone having a baby has this promoted to them by their MW, then the hosp and plunket so give up on the TV ads and put that money into actually helping those that want to feed but are struggling.

Rant over

Well said!

I've had random strangers ask me if I'm breastfeeding my girls. WTF? To me that's a personal decision that I don't think is any of their business. Then again I've also been asked if my girls are as a result of IVF

When a friend of mine had twins, she expressed when they were in neonates. She never intended on BF'ing as she had feeding issues with her first first child and having twins is stressful enough without trying to BF 2 premature babies.

The hospital staff pulled her midwife aside and demanded to know why she wasn't forcing the BF issue more.

Personally I think the Breast is Best campaign is already 'in your face' too much.
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Deez Deez wrote:

I dont have a problem with the ads! They promote formula on telly why not BFing?

They promote BFing in the hospitals, plunket and LMC offices, why not Formula?
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:18am

Basically Random strangers need to learn to keep their traps shut on a number of things dont they? 

I wonder if we feel the breast is best campaign is in our faces because its where we are at.  I wonder what other non mothers have noticed.  Its really hard to be objective when you are in the midst of it all (thats me speaking about me, not criticisng others). 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>