FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for new mums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for new mums
    Posted: 23 August 2007 at 12:08pm
Was the birth of your first child as bad as you expected it to be??? Whether you had a c-section or a VBAC.

Just thought I'd see what you all thought in hindsight. It's so hard to know when it's your first time how things will go - so was it better or worse than you thought it'd be?

I know some joked (in the August thread anyway) that you'd just cough & bub would pop out! Yes they did have a funny sense of humour.

My first experience was worse than I thought it would be. Rico was sitting positerior & after an hour of pushing he wasn't coming, so ended up with a forcep delivery after they turned him.

I remember thinking in ante-natal classes that I wouldn't need any of "that pain relief stuff". Well I tried it all!! Gas wasn't good, pethidene - CRAP! So epidural it was, & OMG greatest thing invented!
My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 12:20pm
Well, am not a new mum, but i had it pretty easy with #1, after Paris i remember thinking "is that all? that's not so bad"

lol, I soon shut up after #2, that was everything and worse than i had imagined would happen 1st time round but never did..
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 12:41pm
I'm nosey too

My first birth was far worse than I thought it would be. I thought I'd go into labour, it would hurt but I'd be able to go into the bath and still maintain 'control' of the pain. And then the baby would be born! Unfortunately I only got to the in the bath stage and then my waters broke, I started haemorraging (the placenta pulled away), I entered transition, and I got really scared. I was so relieved when I had the epidural and then it was all over (c/s) but it took me quite a bit to recover, especially cause of the blood loss.

So baby #2 comes around and I try for VBAC. Was in early labour for over a day (posterior baby) and pushing seemed to take forever and wasn't comfy even with the epi lol. And I needed an episiotomy.

Baby #3 comes around and I prepare myself for a birth and labour like #2 but actually, it went far, far better. Finally a birth that went better than I expected!
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 1:13pm
I was preparing myself for to be worse than what I thought it would be but it was pretty much how I thought it would go pretty straight forward here.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 1:18pm
When Sam turned breech and I knew I was going to have a c/s, I made sure I was fully informed and went in knowing exactly what was going to happen but trying to keep in mind that it sometimes doesn't happen the way we plan it. It went really well, my recovery was alright except for excessive bleeding, then vommiting after my surgery which was probably the worst pain of my entire life and I was convinced that my stitches had ripped open. (after much convincing, I could safely see that they were infact fine!)

But before Sam turned breech I was absolutely dreading giving birth naturally.
ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 1:42pm
I was really disappointed with my labour, only because after about 20 hours of labour and getting myself pretty much fully dilated without intervention, I was told I would need an emergency c-section! And when they first put the epidural in, I could still feel every contraction . That, and the fact that my stupid body wouldn't go into labour on its own and I had to wait 12 days post EDD before they would induce me. So, no, I wish things had gone better...

Edited by Shell21

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 2:40pm
I thought Jacks labour was pretty well although it took about 6 hours to get from 9cm to 10 cm but I'm glad i was allowed to do it on my own without intervention. I was really proud of myself for managing such a long labour with only gas

Capreces was a lot faster and straight forward but way more intense and I feel kinda disappointed in myself cos I really wanted to go no drugs but asked for gas. As far as babies falling out tho Caprece nearly did it was only 6 mins of pushing
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 2:58pm
Well, while mine was nothing like my birth plan (natural labour etc) I love my birth!

I had to have an emergency c section after 2 days of induction - it failed. I had pushed for an hour and 3/4 and Lily hadn't budged, so I was trialled Ventouse - but she was way too far up. She was big head, chin up, posterior so wasn't coming out!

But I loved my c section experience! I found it really fun and I recovered really well so had no issues with it.
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 3:03pm
My waters broke a month too early so I gave birth way before I expected to. And it went better than I had thought - I was ready to take drugs and have c/s if needed but managed OK on gas and it was vb. I'm hoping the next one will be even better

Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 3:05pm
Mine, too, was completely different from how I had envisioned it. I was the one person in my antenatal class who wanted all the drugs, all at once, in the parking lot of the hospital. But I ended up giving birth with no drugs or medical intervention at all, just a TENS machine, aromatherapy, a spa pool for early labour, and homeopathy. I remember wailing when the midwife told me it was too late for an epidural. I'm still not quite "over" the birth experience -- it was quite a shock to my system, especially how intense the pain could be.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 3:05pm
Well Andrew was kinda what I wanted - at the antenatal class we were asked to describe our ideal birth - mine was fast (about 5 hours) no issues and no problems and no pain relief. I kinda got it apart from the no issues (I had pre eclampsia), and it was 4 hours long start to finish (once it started). Josh I was expecting the same (as it was an induction again) but it was a little different and I was a little disapointed.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 3:28pm
Unfortunatley mine was more traumatic than I ever imagined. Its going to take me a lot longer, and more therapy to help me come to terms with it.
MelanieAndBree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 4:26pm
Im preparing for the worst! lol
Melanie.
Mum to Briahna Robyn, 3yrs
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 8:11pm
*Kicks Melln out of this thread until after Sunday so she doesn't freak out*
fadeless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fadeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 8:29pm
I had planned a lovely homebirth for our first haha how wrong i was!!

Annoying midwife who at 10 days overdue after a NST at the hospital said we have to get the OB to book you in to be induced, because baby still isnt engaged there is a high chance of an emergency c/s. I refused i didnt want it and she basically told me i had no choice about it. Well waters got broken, epidural in and laboured on my back, posterior baby and she got distressed then c/s. It was an ok recovery i hated the hospital and was glad when home, then my milk didnt come in and DD screamed constantly for 3wks until she was put on formula.

#2 born 13mths later, long labour which consisted of constant monitoring (and internal monitoring) because of previous c/s. Wanted so badly to get in the pool wasnt allowed. Baby posterior, stalled at 5cms for 6hrs got the epidural at 3pm and was going to having another c/s at 5pm, i had to wait because baby wasnt distressed and there was heaps of ladies waiting to have c/s. Got to the operating theate and OB checked me i was progressing so they all left me to it and had dinner, epidural wore off i went into transition and it was agony as they wouldnt let me stand to push. 2nd degree tear and episitomy and 9lbs baby!

#3 changed midwife, 18 days overdue, 7hr labour at home in a birth pool with only doppler used for monitoring, born on our bed, easy as!

Wow that was long sorry

Edited by fadeless
DD 9 ~ DD 8 ~ DS 7 ~ DS 5 ~ DS 2 ~ DS 14mths ~ DD 3mths
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 9:17pm
jacks birth was as easy as it gets. elective c/s at 39wks because he was breech. born 5lbs 12oz and perfect! apart from his dislocated hips from spending too much time up the wrong way   my recovery was super speedy! i wasn't planning on having a c/s, but by the time i got to 36wks i was getting a little scared about delivering a baby! so when i was booked for a c/s i was a little relieved

charli....desperately wanted a vbac! i was in established labour for 4hrs and got the urge to push. no drugs needed, it was all so easy and i wondered what the fuss was about    i had planned to use the birthing pool but had to be monitored constantly because of the first c/s so that went out the window. after 1 1/2hrs of pushing, charli was getting distressed and she was posterior with chin up tried using forceps (after i had a spinal) but didn't work. my mw was so awesome, she knew how much i wanted a vbac so let me keep pushing and trying until the very last minute in the operating room

so yeah, neither of my births were what i planned and charli's was alot worse than i expected because i really thought i would be able to push her out. it's something i don't think i'll ever come to terms with.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Italiah Italiah wrote:

I know some joked (in the August thread anyway) that you'd just cough & bub would pop out! Yes they did have a funny sense of humour.

my mum has always told me "there's nothing to it, a cough, grunt and a fart and it's all over!"

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 12:17am
Nope, my first birth experience was far better than I imagined it would be. I was terrified, especially when I found out Maya was posterior and big. But even tho the labour was 41 hours from start to finish with 17 hours of clinical labour and 8 hours of continuous syntocinon, and I did feel overwhelmed and like I couldn't cope (until I had the epi) the birth itself was great and I was really proud of myself.
The gremlins birth was even better, I refer to it as the eye of the storm, the brilliant, calm experience sandwiched between an absolutely dreadful pregnancy and two absolutely horrid refluxer newborns.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 10:51am
Well not a new mommy anymore. But will still tell you my story. (suppose to be studying for that learners drivers test to get my NZ one. )

I wanted a natural waterbirth but got scared during the pregnancy. So wanted an elective cecear which my gynae didnt wanted for us. She didnt even talk about it and said only when she deems it neccesary will we talk about it. So yeah. I thought it might be painfull and I will be tired afterwards but it cant be that bad otherwise you will only see moms go through this once.

I did ended up having a cecear due to all kinds of other circumstances. I was so scared of having draining pipes ect which I never had. I am getting scared for the next one hearing people getting staples and stitches as I didnt have any of that.

I really wasnt in much pain afterwards. My back was sore from the failed spinal attempts and that was all. My FIL didnt believe anyone that I had a cecear as I was walking quite well the next day. He didnt even believe that I given birth at all.

Post Reply Post Reply