FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula not enough?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula not enough?
    Posted: 25 August 2007 at 11:53pm
Sam is just not satisfied by formula, since his 12 week growth spurt he is just hungry, hungry, hungry, non stop all day until he goes to sleep at night. He is still sleeping through the night and sleeping 2+ hours twice a day but when he is up he is looking around for food the whole time. I give him his bottle (usually 150mls is all he will take), and he is ok for a little while, maybe half an hour, then he wants more, so I give him another 100mls, which he takes, then an hour later he starts crying and trying to eat everything that he sees, like his hands, his toys, me. He wanted the seahorse from his playgym so badly that he pulled it clean off. So I make another 100mls to see if he will take it and he doesn't want it, but for a couple more hours he makes hungry signals the whole time, until such time that he has some room in there for more. It's quite tiring and I'm going through a hell of a lot of formula at the moment.   A tin usually lasts just on a week, but I'm over half-way through a new tin in just over 2 days.

What should I do? I'm trying to hold out till 4 months before introducing solids but this is getting ridiculous. I know it doesn't have to do with their size, but he's 8KG and 67CM, which is in the 90+ percentile on the charts, so he's pretty massive. I don't want to overfeed him, but I don't want him to go hungry either.

Any advice much appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 12:24am
Renee, he doesn't have a problem with wind does he? Might sound like a stupid question but I know Sam makes all the hungry signs/noises between feeds and sometimes it is wind. Granted it is near impossible to get that wind out of her

Also the eating hands/toys is quite normal. Sam does what DH calls her Mako shark impression when she gets them near her face! The look of determination is hilarous!   You should have seen her tonight with a cold teething ring! She darn near inhaled it!

We got told by Plunket that they are ready for solids when they start waking up through the night hungry. If he is still sleeping through then he is probably ok.

Sorry, I was probably no help at all, I just wanted to reassure you that he is normal. Perhaps a few new toys or activities during the day when he is awake? I know I have recently resorted to taking Samantha for walks to keep her occupied otherwise it seems like all she does is want to eat or sleep some days!

Hope you get it sorted soon

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 7:53am
Well there is a 12wk growth spurt so persevere, I know it's tempting to introduce solids early but it is usually better on their system to wait... at least 2-3 more weeks .
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 8:45am
i would say too if he is sleeping thru the night he is fine. they all put stuff in their mouths, its how they learn more than with their hands. and yes it could be wind, maybe just a tiny bit stuck in there even.

the sooner you introduce solids the more work you are making for yourself - not to mention their little internal organs arent quite ready yet.

give him some teething rings or stuff with different textures for him to chomp in.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 11:33am
It doesn't sound like hes hungry he might just be getting bored if hes grizzly or just want to chew on things. They get to a stage where they can't quite play with toys but are bored doing what they do so you could try maybe going for walks or jolly jumper (can't remember how old they need to be).
Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 12:57pm
You can buy a hungry baby formula so they get that little bit extra, I am unsure what it is called but a ring around the supermarkets will cure that.
Also, do I remember that Sam has reflux? He is 3 months now and can probably start having some baby rice in his forumla instead of Gaviscon, might be a bit heavier? It is not an ideal for every Mum that wants to hang on for the 6 month mark before starting solids though so think it through.
I think your best bet would be to contact your Karitane Nurse through Plunket and get her to come and see you.
It does sound like more than a growth spurt though.
8kg's at 3 months is AWESOME! Olivia never got to that weight till she was 7 months old!!
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 1:36pm
Thank you all.

Peace, I thought Sam might have reflux a while ago, but it never eventuated into anything and he's a really happy boy. I will call the Karitane nurses and see if I can see one as I only saw Plunket twice. :(

I want to wait a couple more weeks before introducing anything else. A midwife friend of mine suggested 16 weeks as an ok time, and that's only two weeks away, so I think we can hold out.

Might have to find some more toys for him to play with!
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 3:13pm
renee my boy is exactly the same! as hes not even 2 months yet!! Astin is a VERY hungry boy and i always give him his medicine after his feeds, i give it to him via a med spoon and he almost swollows the spoon whole!!! he takes it like it is solids so i dont think i will be far off starting him! but i will discuss this with plunket on wednesday.

and OMG! astin is already 7kgs!! so not far behind sam!! geez my boy is huge!!
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Sterryn Sterryn wrote:

We got told by Plunket that they are ready for solids when they start waking up through the night hungry. If he is still sleeping through then he is probably ok.

This is interesting! Kaleb stopped sleeping through (and would take a good sized bottle overnight) but Plunket never mentioned this to me!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 5:09pm
Amber there's a growth spurt at 8 weeks too It's too young for their bodies to process solids yet (unfortunately).
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 7:18pm
yeah i know that plunket says that it is too young but my hubby and his sibblings were started really early so i dont have a problem with starting him a bit early. Bay was started at 3months.
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 8:38pm
Renee, Ashlyn was a very hungry baby & I felt all I was doing was feeding her, when I mentioned this to my plunket nurse at the time she checked which formular I had her on, it was Heinz Nuture Blue which is a whey dominant formular & she suggested trying the purple can of the same brand which is a casien dominant formular which worked a treat for her, I think it is a heavier formular, hope it all works out for you soon
Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 9:24pm
Whey and casein are the two main types of protein found in milk. Breast milk is whey predominant and cow’s milk is casein predominant, whey formula is processed by babies bodies at a much faster rate. Casein formula is a little harder to digest so moves through babies gut a bit slower. I know that S26 is casein predominant and Karicare is whey predominant. Good thinking Kez
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply