FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTattoos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tattoos
    Posted: 29 August 2007 at 9:27am
Ok, so from the title you'd probably think that i'd posted in the wrong forum.

However, In a couple of months, (which is coming by so darn quickly) Baby would have been due. Am planning to go get that butterfly tattoo that i thought of on baby's due date.

So what's the process? do you go to someone with the idea of what you want first and get em to draw it up? I know what i want, but am having trouble visualising it. I need to make sure it's good enough to remember our angel and celebrate our kids forever, I have never been able to think of what i would want for a lifetime up until i lost baby, so I need to know it's going to be done well, designed well.

Who is best to go to? are there any really reputable ones around that people know of. Remember I am in palmy.. am not sure that mike would travel too far for me to get it done, am not sure.

How do i go about this?
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 9:29am
Oh, and also, where is the best place to get it? I had thought of my shoulders, but am unsure if i want it seen on my wedding day with my strapless dress, although writing that seems a little bit stupid when it's something so special, I should be proud to have it seen.

Where's good to get them?

hailstones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hailstones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 10:36am
My advice is ask around - ask people you know who have tattoos, word of mouth is often the best way to find the best tattoo artist.

Then when you decide on the place to go - go in and talk to the tattooist, explain what you want and ask them to draw it up for you, or often you can look through their books and find something similar to what you want and get them to adjust to exactly what you want! then take the sketch home and put it somewhere (like on your fridge) that you can look at it constantly and decide whether its exactly what you want, after all it'll be with you for a lifetime and you want to make sure its exactly what you want. Its a good idea to also look at some of their pics of the tattoos they have done to check out their work.

Some tattooist may ask for a deposit if they are drawing up an original (my friends BIL is a well known tattooist in Dunedin and does this), mostly because they often will draw up something and people will take it away and get it tattoo'd somewhere cheaper.

Also check out their Studio - Does it seem hygenic etc.

For place to get it - its really up to you. Lower back is always nice - even above the hip on the back - that way you can show it off if you want, or cover it up. But small tip - bony areas , or areas with 'soft' skin (like around the ankles) hurt more.

ETA - I think its an absolutely lovely idea!!! Hope to see some pics when you do get it done!

Edited by hailstones

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 8:49am
Thanks for all that info hailstones, is really helpful. Had a tlak to some workmates lastnight and got the name of a great place here in palmy, very well known and hygenic etc. Will have to go and book though as is usually booked fairly far in advance.. only hope that november 21st isn't booked already.

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 9:59am
It might pay to go in earlier and get them to draw it up for you. Often they will get your idea and then do a couple of designs for you to choose from so if you want to get the actual tattoo done around a certain time you want to have the design done, plus that gives you a chance to mull over the design. I had an idea of what i wanted and then when I actually got in there and talked to them thier ideas were a little different but really made the tattoo from a basic design to something beautiful (if i do say so myself)
I got my last one (the stars one with kids names in them) down my spine, you can see the top of the stars depending on what tops i wear and I have one on my lower spine which you can only see if i bend over so those are both descrete places but can be shown if you want them to be.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 12:17pm
I think i have decided on the design, sat and had a think about it this morning and originally had a design i have liked for years, to go along the lower back, already has celtic designs and butterflies involved, am simply planning on turning the celtic designs into a plant/vine type thing with certain flowers at the ends, and of course the butterflies will be monarchs instead, with a wee chrysalis somewhere. but definately will be taking my ideas and hoping they can turn them into what i can see in my head.

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 4:01pm
That's a lovely idea..
I'd like to get one but I'm chicken

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 7:22pm
I hope you are going to the one on Taonui street. he fixed my tattoo after someone else in town botched it (ask me for who!?) and did my mum's and her partner's.   He has a huge one so obvioulsy wanted someone who knew there stuff. one word of warning, although probably won't apply to you, the kanji meanings they have in their books is wrong.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 10:31pm
If you are planning on getting it on your lower back just a warning people now call them Tramp stamps. I have on there and was gutted to find that out.

I think its a really lovely idea.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 11:49pm
liz yep i am going to that one.

Rach.. i did not know they are called that but have decided too bad.. that's where i'm getting it.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 9:57am
lol rach i didn't know that either and i have one there

from what you've described janine, it sounds beautiful

Post Reply Post Reply