FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1 year olds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 year olds
    Posted: 01 September 2007 at 9:57pm
3 things..

Firstly, will your 1 year old play happily on their own?

Secondly, are they grumpy a lot of the time? (most of the time even?)

Thirdly, what does their schedule look like (awake times, naps times etc)?

Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Sponsored Links

Mazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2007 at 10:51pm
DD turns one halfway through this month, so I think I can answer this - my first post in Toddlers! Eek!

1. Yup, at some point each day I try to get DD to play by herself and she will do so pretty happily for a decent amount of time.

2. Depends. She has her bad days, but also some good days. Overall, I wouldn't say she was grumpy a lot of the time.

3. We've got a good schedule going at the moment (although I have probably jinxed myself as I type that - it changes regularly!)
6am wake up, breast feed and play while I get up
7.30/8am breakfast
9.30am nap
10.30am awake and morning tea, play afterwards or we go out
12/12.30pm lunch (sometimes push out to 1pm) then more play or afternoon outing
2.30/3pm nap
3.30/4pm up and afternoon tea/play
5.30pm dinner
6pm bath followed by wind down with dad
6.30pm breastfeed and bed by 7pm

HTH
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2007 at 10:52pm
Hmmm well Im gonna answer 'generally' because of course there are always days that are exceptions to the rule where she does the opposite but generally....

Yes Addison plays by herself, she loves to potter around outside or inside, especially in our new house we have a cupboard in the lounge which she loves taking her books or things she has stolen out of the cupboard and just going in there and playing. That said there are days where she wont get off my knee and I cant even go to the toilet without her wanting to sit on my knee.

No she isnt grumpy that often, she is starting to get frustrated that she cant say what she wants but is pretty good at pointing and grunting till you get it right. She does have a wee temper on her like her mother though and knows what she wants. she dropped her drink cup the other day so i picked it up and she snatched it out of my hand and put it back on the floor then knocked it over again the little monkey.

Normal schedule, awake between 6.30 & 7.30am, if we are home she will have another sleep around 10am for and hour and then again at about 3pm. If we are out she will normally just have one sleep around 1pm. Tea is at 5pm at the latest and it had better be on the dot or she gets grumpy. Then bath and bed by 7pm if not a bit earlier.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 9:29am
my boys have past the one yr stage but gabriel could and would very happily play by himself and i think he prefered it. toby on the other hand...because he has an older brother he will play with him but very rarely at one did he play by himself.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 1:50pm
Well Jack is 19 months so this is me trying to remember a few months back

No Jack has never been good at playing on his own inside. Any time he has found something to do it is usually something he shouldn't be doing. Outside tho he can play on his own for hours.

Jack is now hes really either hot or cold. Happy when someone is playing with him and grumpy if things don't go his way or I can't understand what he wants. This is now tho I can't remember at one. I do remember tho most of the grumpyness was usually due to hunger or tiredness. Now its a different story.

Jack would get up at 8ish have breakfast then nap around 10 then lunch then nap around 2 then tea around 6 then bath and bed at 8 (he wouldn't always sleep thru tho)
Now his routine is
Wake up around 7 has breakfast and a play and then snack around 10, nap at 11, lunch when he wakes up at a bout 12-1, then play and wee snack around 3, tea around 5 and bed around 7
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 6:13pm
Caitlin plays on her own mostly, I try to do stuff with her but she just prefers to explore how things work etc on her own than having her Mummy cramp her style Perhaps that's the only child thing coming through already?!?!

We're very lucky to have an absolute joy of a daughter. When she is grumpy though she turns into the "she devil" and lets everyone know about it! But there is usually something that has caused that like teething, a cold or over tired.

Routine for us has just changed in the last couple of weeks as she is trying to drop her morning sleep.
7am wake up, then bath/shower (or take her to Mum's if it's a work day), then brekkie. She used to have her morning nap at around 10.30 but she just keeps on going now until after lunch, then has an hour or so nap, then keeps ging until bedtime at 7
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 8:46pm
Ashlee also mostly plays on her own and is happy to do so! She's a really, really happy and easy-going, friendly little girl (which I'm sure she gets from her daddy). We're lucky in the fact that if she's crying or grumpy, there's a definite reason and it's easily sorted so she's not grumpy too often.

Her routine is changing at the moment. She's down to (generally) one longer sleep about lunch time, instead of 2 smaller sleeps (morning and afternoon). Breakfast about 7.30ish, lunch about 12ish, afternoon tea, and dinner at 4.30ish. She'll have a bath and bottle before bed at 7 and a couple of pieces of different veges if we have dinner while she's up. We don't do everything to the minute, so times can vary day to day by up to an hour, but the general pattern stays the same.
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by baalamb baalamb wrote:

Ashlee also mostly plays on her own and is happy to do so! She's a really, really happy and easy-going, friendly little girl (which I'm sure she gets from her daddy). We're lucky in the fact that if she's crying or grumpy, there's a definite reason and it's easily sorted so she's not grumpy too often.

Wow I seriously,seriously can not imagine what that would be like. It must be soooooooooo wonderful. Elle can be happy but is mainly grumpy and easily set off so although we do our best to enjoy things it is very hard work as almost everything is accompanied by grizzles. Cuddles etc are an absolute no go...I just get bashed and yelled at!

Amazing how different they all are. Elle still has 2 naps of 1.5-2 hours and can't stay up for more than 3 hours at a go.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 9:21pm
Taine is a wee bit older than the rest but has always been into pottering about by himself. Jake needed us (well, wanted us) more than that as the same age. Taine is quite happy doing his own thing. When he's teething though he becomes clingy at times.

He had been having two sleeps but now only one - if we are lucky. Wakes at 6/7am, sleep at 1, bed at 6:30/7. then screams awake and 8:30 and climbs in with me. grrrr. but tonight we are up to 9:21 and no sign. just jinxed myself I'm sure.
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2007 at 9:21am
At one McKayla was happy to play with herself for a few minutes but she had to see me. I couldnt dissapear into the bathroom or anywhere. (but we moved countries so I think that had a lot to do with it)

Nope was only grumpy if she woke up and still tired or slept for too long. But she was a happy baby from birth. She did start getting really frustrated as she wanted to do stuff herself and had trouble doing some of it but didnt wanted our help.

Her routine was get up at freaking 5:30 or 6. Have boob. Have her porridge at about 7 or 8. Then it was active active active. Help mommy in the house then dance around ect. Until 10. Have boob have a half an hour nap. Then play play play. Lunch at about 12. Then boob at about 1. Play play play. 3 it was boob and a nap. 5 boob again and 6 supper. 7 hubby bathed her and she had boob. Active until 10. Had boob and went to sleep.

Dont even dare put her down earlier even if she is tired. She would have screamed and pulled hair and bite you if you tried.

KiwiWonder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiWonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 3:05pm
Sometimes. Depends on LOTS of things - time of day, what her day(s) been like, who's around, where she is, etc. Generally she does ok for about an hour in the mornings and gets progressively worse as the day goes on. By 3 - 4pm most days she's a clingy toad.

Again, it depends. Some days she's an absolute angel and very happy - others, it doesn't matter WHAT you do, she's not happy. For her, it seems largely connected to her eating and sleeping - if she's gotten a crummy sleep for whatever reason, she's a LOT worse to deal with, and it's not easily fixed by another sleep (she's stubborn and doesn't 'like' day sleeping) ETA - she's almost always grumpy/clingy/tantrumy/whingy around 4pm until dinner time, just an extension of 'arsenic hour' from her baby days I guess... though strangely we get it far worse now than we ever did then.

We're all over the place here, and I've been trying to sort it out, and it's not working. Speaking very generally, she wakes around 7 - 7:30 but is happy to play / chatter in her cot until around 8 (tho lately both have been earlier ) I get her up around 8, give her boobie, and sometimes a small finger-food type snack. She eats 'proper' breakfast (most commonly porridge) around 9:30 most days. Her naps are everywhere tho - some days down as early as 10:30 and other days not until 1pm or so. I think she's transitioning from two sleeps to one, but none of her sleeps tend to be for more than an hour (which drives me completely mental! ) and again we often leave her in her cot to chatter / play for maybe 15 minutes, very occasionally she'll fall back to sleep in that time :D Most nights she eats dinner around 5:30 and is in bed around 6:30, but again this depends on how she's coping and how much sleep I managed to trick her into during the day

Edited by KiwiWonder
Margo
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 3:10pm
I'm wondering if she gets a good amount/quality of sleep at day and night? But it would appear that she does... 1 1/2-2hr naps x2 is what Briona was doing from 12-18mos btw.
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

I'm wondering if she gets a good amount/quality of sleep at day and night? But it would appear that she does... 1 1/2-2hr naps x2 is what Briona was doing from 12-18mos btw.

Absolutely. She is a fabulous sleeper! Our hard work in the early days has paid off. She does 2 naps, and lately they have been 2 to 2.5 hours each + 12 to 13 hours at night. Ahhh...sleep is a wonderful thing She can only last 3 hours up but that is ok...it will extend in good time.
Mazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 8:50pm
Man, can you guys send some of those good sleeping habits my way? DD only has two naps a day, one for maximum of an hour and the other I'm lucky to get half an hour out of her. She's not really tired the rest of the time, but man I wish I had more of a break! She only goes from 7pm - 5.30am at night as well, and doesn't always sleep through.
Mum to two gorgeous girls!
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 10:18pm
Well...
1stly - Vincent often plays on his own. Loves exploring and standing at things.

2ndly - He's a very happy baby. Always has been. Only grumpy when over tired, tired, or hungry

3rdly - Routine? What's that? My work is up and down, not every day the same.

Been getting up around 8 lately, having a breastfeed and plkay in bed with me, then up about half na hour later, get dressed etc then breakfast. Up maybe 2 hours then asleep for approx 2 hrs? Up again and depending on my work in the avo, may nto have another slepe, but will eat on adn off during the day, have dinner with teh kids i looka fter around 6ish and mroe when we get home 6.45ish. Off to bed depending on his sleeps during day. If had an afternoon sleep, between 8.30 and 9.30 otherwise down about 7. May get up again about 8.30, but back in bed for night by 10 at latest. Doesn't slepe thru yet, but we are slowly getting there i think

kellverona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellverona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 5:36pm

Originally posted by FionaS FionaS wrote:

3 things..

Yes Jaxon loves his own playtime.. Hell sit there for ages playing on the floor with his toys.

No hardly ever grumpy, only when hes hungry, or has dirty nappy or tired or lastly teething or unwell.. The usual

Jaxon goes to sleep every day at 10am till 12pm then again at 2.30-3 until 4.

Sleeps through most of the nights apart from the odd night hell wake crying.. (nightmares I think) or if hes unwell hell wake.

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 9:09pm
so hwo do u master the night routine?

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 9:17pm
Do you mean the bedtime routine?
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 1:28pm
yea lol thats the one
can i ask, what does SAHM mean?

Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 2:28pm
At one, Emma Rose did not play on her own in the traditional sense -- meaning, she wouldn't sit down and play with her toys happily. She was just starting to crawl around so would go from object to object, with the attention span of a gnat. She didn't much like to be left on her own and would holler for me when I was out of sight. She didn't start playing more independently until around 15 months. She was never one to lay quietly in the play gym either!

As for being grumpy all the time, decidedly not -- unless there was a reason, such as teething or a cold. She has always had a bit of a temper but it is easily assuaged. However, a cousin of mine was classed as a "high-needs baby" and was grumpy all the time from birth up until about nine months, then again from 15 months to almost three. So it might not just be a difference in temperament.

At age one, her schedule looked like this:
8-8.30am wake, breakfast
8.30-9am to 10.30am play, bottle
10.30am to noon sleep
noon lunch
12.30pm-2.30 or 3pm play
2.30-3pm to 4pm sleep
4pm wake, bottle
4.30pm to 5.30pm play
5.30-6pm dinner
6.30pm to 7.30pm play
7.30pm bath
8-8.30pm bed

Of course, that is the idealised schedule -- it was never actually like that to the letter! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>