FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMedical students and deliveries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

What I want to know tho is why are so many OB's male? What would give a guy motivation to become an OB and spend half his life with his head/hands up womens jacksies?

Umm... Emma, think about what you just said, and then think about all the 20-25yo men you know... what do they spend their social life doing? So why wouldn't they want to become an OB?
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Sponsored Links

chuffed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuffed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 4:27pm
I had a student dr with dd (1st child) in UK and it was great. She was the only constant right through the labour and she was there for about 20hrs. By having a student there the midwives, dr's etc were more likely to explain everything better which meant we had a good understanding of what was happening.
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 4:49pm

Yeah I dunno why a guy would want to do that job either. 

I had a a student midwife there for Ella's birth - turned out well, because she was there for my midwife appts through my 3rd trimester (so I had gotten to know her a bit), and acted more as a support staff to my midwife at the birth, freeing her up to attend to me more.  She was great there - not obtrusive at all, and just really very helpful.  Then again, I struck it lucky with her - I imagine she'll be a very good midwife. 

Andie
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Andie Andie wrote:

Yeah I dunno why a guy would want to do that job either. 

I used to work at NWH and I once asked a young med student (male) that exact question - he gave quite a profound answer about being bale to be actively involved in bringing a life into the world, rather than just treating illness or preventing the loss of life. Which I think is a neat way of looking at it.

Still - its kind of like dentists / podiatrists too - I always wonder why you would want to spend your entire career with you hands in someones mouth or touching their feet!!!

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 7:06pm
It's something I've often wondered too. But then I suppose I should be rather thankful since there aren't many women in that profession, so at least the men keep the numbers up! Maybe the women are having their own babies lol
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 8:56pm
lol.. maybe women are sick of the sight of "jacksies" as Emma put it. Guys.. on the other hand.. would probably never tire of it. PMSL.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 9:27pm

So true Emma. In Palmy they are all men apart from 1 woman and she hasn't had a baby so has no idea what it is like being 37 weeks pregnant and have a toxic body and think that its ok to make you stay pregnant for at least another 3 weeks. All the men have children thou.

My BIL is a nurse (only took him 6 years and that was full time study) and he couldn't pass his maternity placement here in Palmy as noone wanted him to observe (I don't blame anyone thou) as they didn't feel safe with him (to which I don't blame them again - tall, long straggly blonde hair, looks really dodgy - would you want that in the delivery room with you), so it took him a placement out of the region to pass it.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 11:38am
I had a student mw (or doc?) at Hannah's birth... well actually, she might have arrived with the OB *just* after I pushed Han out. I'm not at all worried about students. Had a med student present at my IUD insertion too... turned out she was in a class with one of my friends so I embarrassed the crap out of her by having a conversation about him while she was 'examining' me. hehehe I wonder where my humility went??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 11:39am
Maybe next time I give birth (disclaimer: not any time soon) I will invited around 10 of them in... that should atleast help the cause!
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2007 at 1:49pm
Lol nikki I had a student when I got my IUD in too and she was standing there holding my hand talking to me and then would lean over and have a wee look, man it was embarassing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2007 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by RachandJack RachandJack wrote:

Lol nikki I had a student when I got my IUD in too and she was standing there holding my hand talking to me and then would lean over and have a wee look, man it was embarassing.

Yeah well, she was just looking. Mine was a bit more hands on than that! hehehehehe

I'm super glad it wasn't my friend tho. He'd just finished his OB/GYNAE module. Now that'd have been seriously embarrassing.
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2007 at 11:58am
I had a student doctor in the room when I was trying to push Joshua out. He was awesome, and I'm glad he was there. When it transpired that I needed a c-section he was the one who reassured me that all was ok, that I'd done really well but now I had to let the Dr's do the work.

I'd have another one if I was to have a VBAC ever.
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2007 at 1:06pm
My m/w asked yesterday if her student m/w could attend our birth. I have agreed to it as I have met her and she is such an awesome and inspiring women that I immediately had a repall (sp?) with.

Anyone who can assist me through labour/birth is more than welcome to be present, but then again I am not a private person at all and have very little embarrassment with anything to do with my body, so I am pretty open to anything really.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2007 at 1:14pm
Yay, good on you Peachy! I think from remembering, a student midwife has to be present at approx 20 births before the end of their 3rd year. Doesn't sound like many but i imagine it would be hard to get those numbers.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2007 at 12:24am
I wouldn't have a problem with a midwifery student attending. As for a medical student... well, I guess since I study at the med school, that is my main motivation for not wanting one there (I might know them, and I wouldn't want that!) I don't think my DH would want a male student there, not for our first child at least. I wouldn't mind having one present after we have our first child and if I didn't know them.

I had to go to hospital recently after a fall, I had some bleeding etc. and I had a med student looking after me to start with. I was really p*ssed off about it because firstly, no one asked me if he could be there. Secondly, he was such a dufus. Seriously, no personal skills at all. He had to ask me about ten times how far along I was, and he made a huge deal about how the gynae couldn't find my cervix during a smear (he was really shocked about it, actually it's pretty common... anyway he made me feel really retarded like I had some screwed up "bits" or something). He talked about it for like 5 mins. And after he finished questioning me (which was very difficult because he didn't seem to listen to anything I was saying), he went into the hallway and talked about me really loudly to a nurse. I'm pretty sure most of the corridor would have heard him talking... anyway, he was saying that he doesn't think there is anything wrong with me since I have no pain anymore. I was like "helloo??" the whole reason I went to hospital is because I was in so much pain I couldn't sit or stand, I told him that... but somehow he took it to mean that I had no pain!? Anyway, he really REALLY put me off.

I was just about crying in frustration when I heard him talking in the hallway, I had been waiting for a while and then to hear him say that... I thought they would just discharge me or something.

Luckily the Reg didn't even care what he had to say, and she admitted me, gave me pethidine and lots of scans, and found out that my placenta had been bleeding and that was causing the pain. The Reg didn't seem to like the student very much at all, so maybe I was just unlucky and got someone incompetent?

I fully understand the need for learning etc. especially since I want to go into Medicine. But it is scary sometimes how little preparation that some students get. My med student flatmate is always telling me scare stories though, which probably puts me off as well

As I said though, I wouldn't mind having students present at my second birth, provided I was informed of the role they would play. And I would be even happier if it was a midwifery student, or a student that wanted a career in ob/gyn, because they are the ones that want to have a career from babies... whereas most of the med students are just on their ob/gyn run and just have to fill a quota of births.

If you get a good student, it's apparently really good because they act as another support person, making you more comfortable, holding your hand if you need it, etc. which can be useful (especially if your partner is late getting to the hospital or if you don't have anyone there to support you other than your midwife).

Sorry about my long rant

Edited by Janey77
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
LMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2007 at 4:58pm
I think that they all have to learn somewhere. WIth the birth of my twins i had a young training doctor who was with me from the time i went into the delivery suite form the ward and he stayed in the theatre with me (i had to have an emergency c-section) and he stayed with my boys when they went to the neonatal unit. Not a straight forward case for him to go through but probably an awesome learning experience full of so many different things - blood transfusions, central lines in the neck , c-section and right at the beginning just standard antenatal stuff.
If people dont let the training staff in to see what happens - whether it be good cases or bad - then they are never going to learn properly. They dont have to be hands on and you can always say that you have had enough of them there.
I just think back to job interviews where people wont employ you because you dont have enough experience - its the same type of thing How are they suppose to learn if nobody will give them a chance
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2007 at 6:17pm

I wouldnt mind having a student or even students present at the birth, it also wouldnt worry me if they were female, male or transgender

Ive had male doctors perform smears etc so I dont really see the big deal.....

after reading the posts I just asked DH if he would care if a male student was present to which he replied ... why would i?  its not like you are going to be at your most attractive, and I have a feeling the last thing the guy is going to be thinking about is sex! lol.

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
jldev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jldev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 3:51pm
I had my first baby Georgia 9 years ago so the memories getting vague but I certainly do remember being in the delivery suite, when there was a knock on the door and it was a doctor with a group of med students wondering if they could come in and watch! As if, and my lovely midwife did not even have to ask me before she declined their request. However, with my second and third deliveries I don't think I would have minded having ONE med student there but never a GROUP!!   
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

after reading the posts I just asked DH if he would care if a male student was present to which he replied ... why would i?  its not like you are going to be at your most attractive, and I have a feeling the last thing the guy is going to be thinking about is sex! lol.

lol so true
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2007 at 12:09pm
One of my MWs was just qualified so she went through the whole pregnancy with me and was also in the theatre for Caitlin's birth.

I didn't have any issues with that because she was lovely and there was only 1 of her! lol
I totally agree that medical professionals have to learn somewhere, but they also have to remember the womans dignity. 1 or 2 students would be ok but certainly not a crowd of them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>