FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAm I washing correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I washing correctly?
    Posted: 05 April 2008 at 9:09am
I was putting my nappies through the wash this morning and started wondering if I was actually doing things right? I have a 10yr old Simpson washer and I put my nappies on a short rinse cycle first, then add my detergent (usually Eco Store but at the moment soap nuts) and set the machine to a warm, gentle Delicates wash cycle. The cycle has a rinse at the end, but should I be doing an extra rinse at the end? I don't have a setting for a double rinse, I would have to physically turn the dial at the end of the cycle. And if I use soap nuts does this still require an extra second rinse at the end. Also, is it right to be doing a Delicates cycle (which seems shorter) or should I be doing a Normal cycle?

Your thoughts & tips would be greatly appreciated! I'd hate to think that after more than a year of cloth I've been washing them wrong all this time!

Vic xx
Sponsored Links

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 9:51am
I have a Simpson washer that is about 10 years old as well.
I just do the rinse first and then use a warm wash on the longest cycle (super wash with soak).
The nappies always come out clean and fresh, so it seems to be working

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:34am
i do a prewash, then add detergent, and continue with a normal wash in cold water. every so often i do a 2nd rinse with hot water.

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Mum2Sam Mum2Sam wrote:

I have a Simpson washer that is about 10 years old as well.
I just do the rinse first and then use a warm wash on the longest cycle (super wash with soak).
The nappies always come out clean and fresh, so it seems to be working

I have a Genesis 511 and have just had a look at my Super wash cycle and there's no mention of a soak??

Vic xx
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:39am
I'm lazy and don't have probs with my nappies and this is what I do: throw everything in and do a normal cold wash. That is it. No extra rinses or anything and I never have probs with build up.
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:54am
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

I'm lazy and don't have probs with my nappies and this is what I do: throw everything in and do a normal cold wash. That is it. No extra rinses or anything and I never have probs with build up.

That's really interesting Stacey because when I first started with cloth that's what I was doing with my Fuzzi Bunz - just throwing them in a normal cold wash, no pre-rinsing or anything - and I never had any problems with smells for the first 6mths or so. It wasn't until I switched to a warm wash and pre-rinsing that I started having issues . . .

Vic xx
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 12:57pm
I wash them in a warm long wash. Just chuck them in click on heavy duty and leave them to it. I honestly don't have enough time to be going back in there 3 times just to wash one load. We haven't really had any issues with leaks from build up either (although we have only being doing it for a few months).
ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 1:03pm
I'm the same Stacey, just throw them in, normal cold wash, no extra rinse, never had any problems...

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 1:31pm
just discovered my machine actually has a nappy wash cycle!!   must look into what it does

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 3:03pm
I just don't see the point in warm/hot wash. It's a waste of power to heat the water especially when cold does it fine. Never have any stains or anything because warm/hot water actually makes stains worse. No smells. I've had to use one bottle of dettol inwash stuff but that was when I was uber lazy and forgot about some nappys in a nappy bucket.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 5:29pm
I wash in warm cos i find cold leaves them smelly.
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 3:48pm
We've got an F&P top loader (about 10 years old too) and I just use the normal wash but with a hot wash.

I figure the hot water kills a lot of the germs and I occassionally use the dettol in wash.

To get rid of that musky old smell with your inserts, line dry as much as possible or a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the last rince cycle
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 3:56pm
I throw them all in and do a warm wash. Add tea tree oil but I am starting to get sick of the warm urine and tea tree smell so would love some other suggestions of what I can add.

Also what can I do to stop my night nappies (foxy) from smelling in the morning. Should I add extra inserts. He NEVER leaks but they are soaking and I use the trifold and an extra hemp insert.
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

Also what can I do to stop my night nappies (foxy) from smelling in the morning. Should I add extra inserts. He NEVER leaks but they are soaking and I use the trifold and an extra hemp insert.

I use Foxybots overnight too and I agree that they smell quite strong in the morning but that has always been the case with Leo's night nappy whatever the brand! It's just because they are wetting so much and wearing it for so long. As long as they're not leaking I wouldn't think there was any need to add extra inserts. I use a Nix-Kidz hemp fleece trifold with a Foxybots hemp/mf trifold on top.

Vic xx
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 1:38pm
I've heard lavender is quite nice but my sister (an aromatherapist) said you can pretty much use anything. Some babies might react to citrusy smells tho she said.

Post Reply Post Reply