FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhating my child! :(:(:(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hating my child! :(:(:(
    Posted: 28 April 2008 at 2:23pm
I feel extremely terrible for saying this but i have to get it out! - Im hating (ok maybe a bit strong of a word but...) Bailey right now!!
I have never felt like i have any kind of bond with him and iv noticed things going from bad to worse lately so i have been trying to make a big effort to form something but its really hard when hes such a punk!!!!! - he swears at us!! yells at us, throws a mega tantrum for EVERYTHING!! from going to the toilet, getting dressed, listening to us, being nice, he never eats his tea and its a 3 hour battle every night!! , he doesnt like his brother and its always hurting him by pushing him over, kicking him, hitting him, he wont let Astin play with ANYTHING (not even astins own toys!), hes even been telling the teachers at daycare that we dont feed him, we dont love him because he has to stay in his room all the time! (he has time out in his room) a few of our friends are his teachers so they pick it up straight away and tell us....some days can be good but the minute i do something like change Astins nappy - Bay spazes out and starts throwing things and swearing!!, his fav thing is to yell horid things as soon as he sees me on the phone!!! ...

Of course i LOVE him!! to bits!! hes my baby boy!! but i really dislike him right now!!!....will his mood end!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! its started around 3 and has progressively gotten worse!
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 3:28pm
i cant help except to say pick your battles. maybe if you stopped say the dinner time battles then it may help in some small part. so perhaps let it go for dinner (am using this as an example) and instead of making him eat his tea just concentrate on getting him to sit at the table with you.   (thats the rule in our house, i dont care if you dont eat but you sit at the table with everyone till we have all finished). and maybe pick one behaviour like the swearing and really concentrate on that one. Cause lets face it we cant change all their unacceptable behaviours at once... (ok so i may be pinching a bit from diane levy, but it made sense to me ).

Oh and hugs and sympathy too...it can be hard when they just dont seem to be cute and adorable till they are fast asleep!      

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 4:04pm
I don't have any good advice. But I sure wouldn't sit there and battle with any child for 3 hrs to get them to eat their dinner. I like Deb's idea of just getting him to sit nicely at the table. Plus if he's hungry he will eat.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 6:08pm

Yep pick your battles. I have this often with Andrew and some things I just let go and some things I do battle.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 6:43pm
My daughter has stopped eating much at dinner time and she just doesn't get anything else - she can eat the dinner if she gets hungry later.
I figure that she eats enough during the day, and with daylight savings, she is getting tired by dinnertime (I sometimes feed her earlier, but it is a pain making two dinners).

Does Bailey take his lunch to daycare? I put all the veges and fruit in DD's lunchbox and she'll eat them. Some things she likes atm are mandarins, half a banana, grapes, celery with peanut butter or cream cheese, mini muffins, bits of cheese and pineapple (on sticks). If we have schnitzel, she will have bits of cut up meat too.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 8:01pm
We don't make dinner time a big deal around here. But once they are down from the table, that's plenty of dinner (and everything else until breakfast) for that night.

I'm not big expert but if I was in your shoes I'd be looking at two things for Bailey right now: one is to put some pretty firm boundaries in place for swearing, yelling, hitting. Whatever the main problems are. Perhaps start with two of them. And put him in time out every single time that offense occurs. If you haven't been consistent with it, he'll try you all the more but you've really got to win it while he is a preschooler.

The other thing that I'd be working on is to make sure he gets 1/2 hour of your attention each day. Do something 'big boy'ish with him like lego or playdough or something that Astin can't play with, and do it when Astin is in bed. Hopefully having some undivided attention will help settle him.
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 9:10am
Originally posted by meow meow wrote:

Does Bailey take his lunch to daycare? I put all the veges and fruit in DD's lunchbox and she'll eat them. Some things she likes atm are mandarins, half a banana, grapes, celery with peanut butter or cream cheese, mini muffins, bits of cheese and pineapple (on sticks). If we have schnitzel, she will have bits of cut up meat too.

no they cook the meals for the kids and we just check the food chart to make sure we agree with the food> Iv spoken to the teachers about his eating and they all said that although he is a little on the fussy side and they have had some battles with him - he is otherwise good and eats his fruit and veges!!
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 9:23am
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

I'm not big expert but if I was in your shoes I'd be looking at two things for Bailey right now: one is to put some pretty firm boundaries in place for swearing, yelling, hitting. Whatever the main problems are. Perhaps start with two of them. And put him in time out every single time that offense occurs. If you haven't been consistent with it, he'll try you all the more but you've really got to win it while he is a preschooler.

The other thing that I'd be working on is to make sure he gets 1/2 hour of your attention each day. Do something 'big boy'ish with him like lego or playdough or something that Astin can't play with, and do it when Astin is in bed. Hopefully having some undivided attention will help settle him.

We are super consistant with his behaviour by putting him in time out for 5 minutes (usually his room but he has a corner in all our friends houses too!! because he plays up so much!) and he looses a sticker on his good boy chart...his good boy chart has some opposites of his behaviours on it so he gets a sticker if he helps his brother, turns his light off when he gets up in the morning, gets dressed without complaining, no swearing for the day, AND he has a seperate vege chart (bcos this is one of our big battles) which has a pic of 8 different veges and he gets a sticker each time he eats one.

Astin sleeps around 3-4 hours per day so in that time (usually the afternoon sleep after Bay finishes school) i do fun things with Bay - we play with his trains, hotwheels, camping with his tent in the lounge, do his letter book, playdough, marble runs etc and last week i took him to the movies to see Horton hears a who.......

But alas his beviour is still getting worse so im not sure what else to do

He asked us for another brother the other day so we told him that we were thinking of having another baby to which he answered "good!! i want another brother and not a FAT one like this one! so can we send Astin back?", i answered "NO! we will keep Astin too! so whats wrong with your little brother? he loves you", bay answered " hes too fat!, im going to play in my room" and that was the end of that conversation!!

Im definately going to try the no fuss tea time tonight!

thanks heaps ladies
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:04am
Ooooh, charming child! My Maya has her moments like that too, and it is sooo hard to stay objective! I must confess I did have a wee giggle at the "Astin's too fat" comment - that must be coming from daycare. It's funny the things kids talk about amongst themselves, Maya came home once and told me "X isn't my friend coz her breath is smelly". Delightful, how did I raise such an awful cat!
Sounds like you are doing the right things re: consistent consequences, but I agree with Teresa - these are battles you need to work thru while he is a preschooler coz the older they get, the smarter they get and they figure out that mum and dad don't know everything. I think just keeping on with the consistency is the important thing, but there's something to be said in picking your battles like Bizzy said too.
Maybe think about what things REALLY matter (ie. hitting, physical violence, swearing?), what things matter a little (ie. maybe getting dressed etc.) and the things that don't matter so much. Then focus on the ones that are most important so he doesn't feel like he's constantly being told off/put in time out coz that can be demoralising for a child and instead of encouraging them to behave better, it makes them feel like they'll never be able to behave well enough so they might as well not bother.
The things that really matter, where safety is concerned and where you really want to stamp out unacceptable behaviours like throwing things and swearing, use time out every time without fail. The things that don't matter so much, maybe look at other ways of approaching them, for example:
agree that meal times don't need to be a battleground - you choose WHAT he eats and WHEN he eats it, he chooses IF he eats it and how much. After a couple of nights of refusing dinner and being pretty hungry by breakfast you might find he starts eating a bit, then more.
With the getting dressed, again, not neccessarily worth the struggle. I took Maya to daycare in her pyjamas once coz she played up about getting dressed, she thought she was the coolest coz she 'won' - till we got there and all her friends were like "why is Maya in her PJ's, that's just silly!" Never had that problem again funnily enough!
And the little things that don't matter so much, let them go. You can't sweat the small stuff, you'll go mad!
Anyways, hope this helps, it's not much different to what anyone else has said, but having survived the preschool years to tell the tale with Maya the only other thing I can add is hang in there, coz this stage will pass eventually too, its just making sure you get thru it without letting him form any lifelong bad habits!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Maybe think about what things REALLY matter (ie. hitting, physical violence, swearing?), what things matter a little (ie. maybe getting dressed etc.) and the things that don't matter so much. Then focus on the ones that are most important so he doesn't feel like he's constantly being told off/put in time out coz that can be demoralising for a child and instead of encouraging them to behave better, it makes them feel like they'll never be able to behave well enough so they might as well not bother.

ah, yes thats what i was trying to say but you nailed it...

oh and dont forget too to praise any good behaviour you catch him at, like nice playing or even manners...

hope the no fuss dinner worked for you!!!

Edited by Bizzy

BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:22am
oh Emma!! im soooooo doing the "going to school in pjs thing"!!!! especially bcos he usually gets down to the undies and then the screaming begins so undies to school!! or the prospect of it might be great
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:24am
oh and re the clothes, does he pick his own clothes?

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 1:39pm
when I'm having clothes problems (more often than not lately) I find letting him choose helps, like Biz said, except I am an anal control freak, so I pick two things and let him choose one, IE 2 pairs of undies, then 2 tops, 2 pants etc. he likes that. Jake that is. He likes that.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 2:15pm
I like it Amber! He'll only go to school in his undies once!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

I like it Amber! He'll only go to school in his undies once!

Bahaha! i dunno - Bays one stubborn child if ever there was one! lol

Deb - yip we let him pick his clothes because like you said - it really helps!

We had a very BIG PROBLEM today that im not sure what to do!!! - i left the room for a bit to do something while Bay and Astin were playing then heard Astin making a funny noise and went in to find Bay on top of Astin holding Astins nose shut with one hand and the other hand tightly over his mouth!!! i quickly told Bay to get off him and asked him what he was doing but he just babbled on!!!!! WTF!!!!....We went shopping an hourish after that and DH and i made a huge effort to get him to help us choose the groceries etc and bought him a big boy bottle because of course hes feeling left out but WOAH!! what do i do!!???
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 7:17pm
Oh gosh Amber, thats doesnt sound good at all. Sorry havnt got any advise, but seems like the other ladies had good tips. Hope things improve for u soon.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 7:35pm
amber, gabriel has tried to choke not only his brother but also his dad!!! and they are prob close in age...so could be related to that.

BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

amber, gabriel has tried to choke not only his brother but also his dad!!! and they are prob close in age...so could be related to that.

Gosh i hope its just an age thing then
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:02am
it sound like it to me... we have a very aggressive child here at the moment...lots of NO, not listening, hitting, throwing toys, caught him the other day with a big stick poking it at edens face!!! (not sure if he was trying to get her with it or the hood on the capsule tho)
its hard but i think being consistent and picking the main behaviours to concentrate on help.

how did your dinner go the the other day?

Edited by Bizzy

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 8:30pm
The other thing is, he might not be being deliberately malicious (or he might, I don't know). I once caught Maya lying on top of Mercedes under the playgym when Mercedes was only a few weeks old. Maya was nearly 4 so waaay old enough to know better, but I don't think she meant to hurt her, she was just seeing what reaction she'd get from me.
Do you think it's worth discussing your concerns with your GP? He or she might be able to provide a different perspective coz there might be something else up that is making him act up.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>