FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwell here I am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: well here I am
    Posted: 22 May 2008 at 11:55am
My DH finally dragged my sorry butt off to the doc's this morning and I've had confirmed what I've denied for months. I have PND.

I felt soo embarrassed going in there - like she'd just think I was a big sook and tell me to harden up - lol! I have no idea now why I thought that. She was awesome and really helpful.

Now I've spoken to her and DH about it all I can see in retrospect I was far from alright. Infact when she asked me to rate my emotions on a scale of 1 - 10 I started crying because I realised that I can't remember the last time I felt anything above a 6.

So I've taken my first pill and I'm sitting here feeling much better - not from the meds (I doubt they work that fast) but just that I can stop living in denial about the whole thing.

And I must send much love to my dear husband who has not only put up with this for months and months but also had enough courage and love to MAKE me go to the doctor even though I was adamant that I was fine

Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 11:58am

Don't feel embarrassed about it at all.

It should take about 2 week for the neds to kick in and then you will wonder why it took so long for you to go and get help.

It took me a while to go too after everything that happened my house.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 2:14pm
2 weeks! Thanks for the head's up - I didn't know it would take so long. The Doc probably said so but TBH I wasn't taking much in.

I should clarify lest I cause any offence - I'm not embarrassed at all by it but I was embarrassed before I went in because I thought I wasn't 'bad enough' and so the doc would tell me to stop wasting her time if that makes sense.

Yeah I'm already wondering why I waited so long. 20/20 hindsight aye?

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 2:40pm
big hugs bobbie.. ! not sure what to say but glad you and DH had the courage to get help..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:12pm
Hugs Bobbie I'm glad that you feel some relief already and good on DH for encouraging you to goto the dr.

I hope the meds help you get it all sorted quickly.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 5:58pm
Im sure we all feel like that! I certainly felt that I wasnt depressed, that I should just be able to cope like everyone else seemed to be.
Good on you for going.
Plunket may have a pnd support group, ours does and its good to see that your not alone! Also I found that talking a counsellor really helped too. Get someone to help u out a bit and take baby for a walk or something while u have a wee break if poss. Also get yourself a big pot of fishoil capsules! They help too!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 7:47pm
Big hugs Bobbie! No shame here, as you can see you are certainly not alone! Good on you (and DH) for getting help!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:31pm
Big hugs Bobbie - I don't suffer from PND, but good 'ol 'regular depression' (I was diagnosed at 14, my father also has a history). I know how hard it is to take that first step, so be proud of yourself.
Danash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:53pm

Bobbie, what a wonderful husband you have.  Glad you are now on the way to the up and up.   

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 5:23pm
Out of curiosity what does the doc ask you so y know if you have if or not?
AN E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AN E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 6:28pm
Big Hugs

I'm always here if you need a talk or a break away from things.
So glad you have taken that all important first step
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 8:34pm
thanks guys,
I feel so much better just being in here and writing.

Terri it's weird because I thought it would be like a questionnaire thing but DH did most of the talking and I just kind of confirmed things and I guess the doc got what she needed from that. Also I don't actually remember a heap of the conversation - lucky DH was there.

The only question I think I actually got asked as such was to rate my self on a scale of 1-10 where 10 was really happy and 1 was really sad. But she took notes about other stuff we said. I think it would vary from case to case because of what I have read about PND symptoms I didn't have some of them.

But also the catalyst for me being taken in was the fact that the other morning I was too overloaded to do anything including picking Rowan up and I was at the point where I was too scared to leave the house.

The meds I'm on are making me feel like I have MS

Edited by Bobbie

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 9:57pm
I found I had nasty nausea with the SSRI's, other people have said they found it improved after a couple of weeks so hopefully yours will improve soon!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:25pm
yeah i found that too, i felt a bit like i was nauseous and lost my appetite completely, and had all sorts, but as i said in another post, they do tend to be while you're getting used to them and then they become less frequent. Good on you for going and getting help. And yeap it sooo feels so much better once it's out - before then it feels like a terrible secret you're keeping to yourself in case someone thinks you're completely doo-lally (in case you haven't noticed this is my favourite word)
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:27pm
*giggle* at Janine - I will forever associate the word doo-lally with Ayja, I must have seen you post about her being doo-lally at one point or another
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:55pm
Big hugs Bobbie I'm glad you're getting it sussed and go DH.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
porcelina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porcelina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 6:22pm
Yay for you and having the courage to get help!!! Well done!
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 2:47pm
Hmm I went to coffee group this morning and could only stay an hour as I was getting totally wound up and stressed. I'm not sure what was up with that.

Also I got offered contract work for 3 weeks (work from home) yesterday and I had to turn it down as I knew I couldn't do it at the moment - I'm pretty bummed as I've been wanting an opportunity like that for ages. Hopefully it will come up again.

But I'm smiling at the 'doolally' comment - what a great word

Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 3:27pm
That's a bummer Bobbie. Did you let them know that you might be interested in doing the contract work from home in the future?
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 8:09pm
Cut yourself a lot of slack, Bobbie, it's a hard time so saying no to stuff is definitely ok. Hopefully the opportunity will come up again at a better time though!

Star for your DH for being so good for you and getting you some help. Doesn't it feel good to know that he's got your back? It's nice to know that you have someone to lean on that will support you and do what's best for you.

How are you finding things now?
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>