FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked2 questions about BG naps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 questions about BG naps
    Posted: 01 June 2008 at 5:58pm
So please bear with me!

1) What is the best booster for them? At the moment the newborn inserts are enough of a booster as well as the normal microfibre, but should I get hemp/bamboo? I want the cheapest one possible!

2) As mentioned on another thread, if the inserts wet and he hasn't pooped, could I just change the insert as we use liners and the actual pocket is never wet to touch anyway? What do you think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 6:02pm
I use a cotton babies microfibre and then a hemp insert. I picked up the hemp ones of TM and they werent too expensive.  That lasts us 3-4hours+
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 6:04pm
hemp is great if you start needing more absorbtion. Bamboo is good too but the prob with bamboo is that it takes a lot longer to dry which won't be so great over the colder months.

For me personally once a nappy has been used I don't reuse it even if the fleece feels dry. It's just icky to me and I'd imagine it would probably get a bit smelly after a while.

Edited by kebakat
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 6:10pm
Cool, so hemp it is!

Thanks Stacey, yeah was just wondering what the deal with that is. I just realised that it makes no sense to me anyway as I'd end up with heaps of pockets and no inserts for them (duh)
nicolaann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicolaann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 6:12pm
I just use 2 BG microfibre inserts with Alex, and it lasts him a good 4 hours. He is not a heavy wetter though. I bought some great hemp inserts off TM too, they weren't expensive, and work well.

I don't re use nappies either, but if they are not wet, and you are using liners I guess you could. It's a personal decision I guess!!
Nicky, Mum to Alex (5) & Sophie (3)
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 6:37pm
I'd also recommend some hemp boosters - TM is a great place for them, much cheaper than from online stores. Or if you have access to a sewing machine you could buy the fabric and make your own.

I've never reused pocket nappies by just changing the insert, I only do it with the D'lish because the inserts are snap-in so they are what get wee'd on first. But I do know someone who re-used her Fuzzis by airing the outer while her baby had nappy-free time on the floor and just replacing the inner once. It's up to you,

Vic xx
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 8:42pm
If my kids poo as soon as the nappy is put on I change just the liner but if they have been in it for a while I change the whole thing. I wouldn't really want to be putting my hand in the pocket to put the new one in cos the PUL would be a bit wet from wees.

Cloth flats make quite good (cheap) inserts too. I have cut a few in half and use half and they last just as long as a mf one.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 12:23am
Yeah I do that with pooey naps too if he's just been changed.

Had a look on TM and there's not many around (or maybe I'm blind!) but will keep looking. And thanks Rach for the tip about cloth flats, I have a few of those so could cut some in half. Ta
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 8:42am
Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

Had a look on TM and there's not many around (or maybe I'm blind!) but will keep looking. And thanks Rach for the tip about cloth flats, I have a few of those so could cut some in half. Ta

The other thing you can do if you can't get any hemp boosters is just use some microfibre cleaning cloths! You can get them really cheap at somewhere like Mitre 10 Mega or Supercheap Auto in the cleaning section in bulk packs! I do this to boost my nappies for daycare and they're great cause they dry in no time. If you want just a couple you can also get them at the supermarket - Signature Range do a 3 pack of pink ones and Scotch Brite do a single blue one (altho this is the most expensive at about $4-5 each).

Vic xx
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 9:31am
I bought hemp and micro fleece from Bumbles and have made my own inserts - really easy, just cut and overlock.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 11:00am
Originally posted by kiwivic kiwivic wrote:

Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

The other thing you can do if you can't get any hemp boosters is just use some microfibre cleaning cloths! You can get them really cheap at somewhere like Mitre 10 Mega or Supercheap Auto in the cleaning section in bulk packs! I do this to boost my nappies for daycare and they're great cause they dry in no time. If you want just a couple you can also get them at the supermarket - Signature Range do a 3 pack of pink ones and Scotch Brite do a single blue one (altho this is the most expensive at about $4-5 each).

Vic xx

I think they work out to be around $2 each at mitre 10
 Post Reply Post Reply