FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAIO nappy pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIO nappy pattern
    Posted: 24 June 2008 at 1:24pm

Hi all

I've decided to make my own nappies for #2 (no you haven't missed an announcement, I've just decided to start sewing now while I have time, energy and money).

For Michaela I used flats and overnaps and I really don't want to go down that road again, although I'll have them there as backups I'd really prefer to use MCNs next time round.

I've found patterns on TNN for pocket naps but also want to make AIOs (am thinking if I have a mix of flats, pockets and AIOs I should have all bases covered).  Anyway I'm sure I can google and find a gazillion but I'm being lazy and wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of an AIO pattern.

Edited by MrsMojo
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 1:50pm
Just use a pocket pattern but sew in the absorbency material and close the pocket opening
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 2:14pm

Ah, I had wondered if that would work.  I guess I could also sew in the absorbent fabric and leave the pocket open for adding a booster in case I get a big wetter. 

I'm getting pretty excited (how sad is that... no baby on the way but excited about making MCNs - my nephews wife is preg atm so I can do gifts too if I manage to make some nice ones).  There's heaps of fabrics and I'm having fun finding ones I want to use.  Currently I'm trying to find some tartan fabrics appropriate for nappy making (my DH's family is Scottish on both sides and I have Irish heritage so I though tartan would go down well).

Two more question do you think I should use an overlocker or is my normal sewing machine ok?  Where can I get size labels? (these aren't necessary but will make things easier for me when I get around to using them).

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 2:22pm
Size labels - greenbeans, i've seen some in a local sewing shop around here as well.

A normal sewing machine will be fine but that does depend on the fabrics you use, PUL and microfleece are fine without overlocking.

Be careful with using cotton fabrics on the outside, they tend to wick quite badly since cotton is absorbent after all. It might not be so bad with a newborn as they get changed often. A friend of mine made her own naps and put all these nice cotton fabrics on the outside and they just get wet really fast starting around the legs and it just seeps out.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 2:31pm

I'm thinking I'll probably use pul for the outer layer (maybe some microfleece too), on one of the sites I saw you can get cotton pul, I assume that's not bad for wicking... or is it? 

I thought I might start with a greenbeans DIY fabric pack so I'll have everything I need to start with and if I then decide sewing naps isn't for me I haven't spent too much and won't have tons of left over fabric.  It's soooooooo tempting to go crazy with fabrics tho, there's so many funky colours and patterns available, heaps better than the plain cream overnaps I had last time.  I might have to make #2 matching bibs too so I can get a nice variety of fabrics without any wastage.

Thanks again for your help. 

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 2:46pm
Cotton PUL IMO is ok but not great. It will last a couple of hours but not much longer than that in my experience before it starts wicking. But then I also have a heavy wetter.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 2:47pm
I personally found cotton PUL yukky! Itis crinkly and noisey comparedwith nice soft PUL.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 3:01pm
Do you guys prefer pul or microfleece on your bubbas?  I won't even go into the myriad of other fabrics I can get as I'm really just going to stick with basics.
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

Do you guys prefer pul or microfleece on your bubbas?  I won't even go into the myriad of other fabrics I can get as I'm really just going to stick with basics.

PUL is a waterproof fabric and usually used as an outer layer, whereas microfleece is used as a stay-dry inner layer next to baby's skin. Pocket nappies will use both fabrics and then the insert go into the pocket made between the two fabrics. Does that make sense?

Vic xx
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 4:48pm
Complete sense thanks Vic but I've also seen some naps with fleece outers (assume they have a waterproof lining).  Any comments on those?
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 4:57pm
You've just asked all the questions I've been meaning to ask! I'm thinking of making some medium ones - will get through winter with sposies and when the weather's a bit better, and baby's a bit bigger, will go to MCNs. Even though I know they're cheaper than sposies long term, it still feels like a bit to lay out, so hopefully making some will work!

Where do people buy PUL?? What does it stand for? I always think of it as something cold and rubbery - am guessing it's not - is it more like the fabric on Happy Heinies/Honey Child????
Mum to two wee boys
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 5:24pm

We use fleece outers, if you soak just the fleece in fabric softner every now and then it stays water proof, I just usually change the insert that I lay inside unless its very wet or pooey. Wouldn't work as well for AIO naps though as you want the insert to aborsb as much as poss not be waterproof. I just get normal polar fleece for the outside and microfleece for the inside.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 5:27pm
PUL - polyurethane laminate... its basically a film that is put against a fabric (usually polyester fabric, sometimes cotton) to make it waterproof.

Most nappies on the market have a PUL outer - like honeychild/happy heinys, both of those are PUL
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 6:02pm

Hey Flissty,

I'm going to pick up a DIY kit from www.greenbeans.co.nz to get started with, it has all the fabrics you'll need to make about 3-4 nappies and the cost is $20-25.  You can also buy fabrics from trade me and www.scamps.co.nz.  I also found a few aussie fabric stockists but haven't got their addresses. Found them through the aussie nappy network.  I found the patterns for nappies on www.thenappynetwork.org.nz.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 6:33pm
Thanks MrsMojo. There's a whole world of fabric out there that I didn't know existed (and I'm a fabricoholic!)
Mum to two wee boys
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 7:50pm
I hate cotton PUL it leaks all the time
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 8:33pm

Originally posted by Flissty Flissty wrote:

Thanks MrsMojo. There's a whole world of fabric out there that I didn't know existed (and I'm a fabricoholic!)

Lmao... me too.  I can't help myself.  I've always been this way I truly beleive that fabric makes a huge difference to patterns, just as shoes make the outfit (mm...shoes, always make me smile).  I even spent more on making my bridesmaids dresses than I did on my own because I fell in love with some gorgeous lace (at $100 per metre) and had to have it.  I refused to sew it though, I was way too scared I'd stuff up and have to shell out to buy more.  Luckily my mum is a great sewer.

p.s. cotton pul is now off my fabric list - thanks all for your feedback.

Edited by MrsMojo
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 9:55pm
I have wigglebums with cotton PUL I think, and a tweedle nap, and I LOVE the wigglebums... don't get leaks with them. The tweedle I don't like so much more because of the cut than anything, still doesn't leak.

Post Reply Post Reply