FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtantrum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 11:11am
May I ask why you are "concernedmum"

My daughter throws tantrums that last usually 4 hours, I have a 6yr old as well and am pregnant.
5 hours of tantrum is not easy and any advice is appreciated.
What fallen was suggesting was a way to snap her out of it I don't think the shower is anymore 'child abuse' than leaving them in their rooms to calm them selves down.
Sponsored Links

concernedmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concernedmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 11:57am
i am "concernedmum" cause i think as mums we all have some concerns about some thing or another ... why are you "jjands"?

distraction, diversion, time out (for mums and/or kids), hugs, ask - tell - act, finding out the real problem, one on one time, ruling out medical problems .... all much nicer and acceptable ways of dealing with a tantruming child.

Edited by concernedmum
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 12:46pm
I had to laugh at the shower idea! Very novel!
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 1:34pm
concerned mum,
Please remember you also have days when things don't go right re: your post
I have failed as a mum!
I scream, i smack, i yell, i berate, i threaten, i swear, i call them names...and most days i dont like them or me. i dont want a third, didnt even want a second.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concernedmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 1:59pm
arent you clever doing a search!!!

I'm not on trial or accusing you of anything. merely stated that to me dousing a 5 yr old in cold water fully clothed sounded like child abuse! is it not akin to throwing a child into a tub of cold water for soiling themselves... and if said child had an undiagnosed ear infection (for example) then the cold water of a shower would certainly not improve matters... only perhaps make them scared of showering!

if you choose to throw your child in a cold shower to stop them screaming that is your decision... i however dont agree with it.

tantruming children are not easy... nor is finding a method to deal with them...but once you do find it then it does become easier! I know!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 3:22pm
i disagree. My four year old has never had a tantrum where he has been unconsoliable as you have described. But if he did and I couldn't calm him down, then as a last resort I would do the shower thing. I don't think it is child abuse in the least. It won't cause irrepareable harm. it won't hurt them in any way. But it could be a way to calm them down quickly.
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 6:45pm
I was merely passing on a suggestion on something that worked for me. My daughter never stayed under the water for longer than a couple of seconds, but it was always enough to snap her out of the tantrum she had wound herself up into.

I don't believe its in any way child abuse. But if you do, feel free to NOT try it.
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 10:17pm
..my mum thinks that at times I should go into a cold shower myself......

susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 10:44am
and I dont think it is child abuse either
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 6:34pm
Concerned Mum,
So glad to hear that between the 14/12 and now you have found a full proof way of controlling your childrens tantrums. According to your posts.
I take it this no longer involves hitting them? Because after all that is actual child abuse unlike a cold shower.
So who are you really seeming as you created another account?
P.S I don't feel that you are very welcome on here....this is a place for suppor not crisitism.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concernedmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 7:51pm
jjands... yes i have learnt a lot since december of 2007!

It was my opinion only... what are you getting so upset about it for? is it perhaps because you think it is abusive but do it anyway!?   do you want me to delete my comment so it cant offend you anymore? No one else seems upset by it or likens it to abuse, if you dont like my opinion then ignore it!

Edited by concernedmum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 8:25pm
* is very confused*

think I have to lie down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 8:28pm
everyone here is entitled to support free from criticism , parenting is a tough role, and this should be a place that people can freely vent their frustrations and fears etc that come with being a parent free from critiscism from other parents on the forum , a healthy debate is good, a slanging match is not .
That goes for EVERYONE on here -don't make me put you all in time out .

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 8:42pm
You admitted you hit your children this is abuse cold showers are not. Hitting your children is ILLEGAL.
I only posted this topic because I wanted some advice not to have my head bitten off.
This really wrecks my time on the forums...
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 8:45pm
I know what your saying Caitlynsmygirl and I agree like I said above was only looking for some advice and came away feeling like I had been critisised for something I didn't even suggest. Anyway long over this discussion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concernedmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 9:10pm
whatever - i voiced my opinion plain and simple... and it wasnt even about anything you had said, it was about fallens suggestion. You jjands are the one who attacked me and got on the defensive... Maybe time to look in the mirror!
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 9:00am
LOL I'm just going to agree to disagree
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by fallen fallen wrote:

I was merely passing on a suggestion on something that worked for me. My daughter never stayed under the water for longer than a couple of seconds, but it was always enough to snap her out of the tantrum she had wound herself up into.

I don't believe its in any way child abuse. But if you do, feel free to NOT try it.

funnily enough as a mother at my wits end with a 6yr old with ADHD, who is no longer alowd at any of her relatives including grandparents as she is so full on its tireing watching her she also gets so hyped up and frustrated that there is no consoling/calming/reasoning with her just hysteria
today i took her to the doctor & the doctor said . . . when she gets like that put her in the shower!! clothes and all ,as it is the best way to calm a child down quickly, (especially with s as the next step is usually a rage where she destroys anything she can get her hands on out of frustration) i kid you not thats what the doctor said!, and i thought what a dam good idea!!

edited to add :
havnt read all the posts only read half way down this page , so this post isnt to dig at anyone, its mearly stating my opinion,

Edited by CatzKids

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 9:25am
That must be really hard on you I hope the shower thing works

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concernedmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 8:33pm
lol thas funny catzkids that a doc would suggest it and here ohbaby is discussing it too...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>