FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtantrum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tantrum
    Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:08am
Hi Girls, does anyone have any advice for me? My 4 your old daughter will not stop screaming and crying and today I've had enough! It's been going since 7 this morning and is still in full swing :( I know today stems from her refusing to go to sleep last night until nearly midnight but she wont sleep now when she's up she's screaming at her brother and now I've put her in her room she's screaming and kicking the wall.
What can I do I'm so sick of it
Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:29am

Wow, since 7am - that girl has stamina!  Is DF around today or are you dealing with this by yourself?

It's been awhile since I've had to deal with older children's tantys and I've never had a child go for that long so I'm not sure that I can offer any advice.... just sympathy.

I think you've done the right thing.  It's really hard for a 4 yo to articulate her frustrations particularly when it's due to overtiredness and she doesn't understand it herself.  IMO timeout in her room is a good idea because 1) it gets her brother out of the firing line and 2) it show's that you will not put up with that behaviour.

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:35am
DH is making me mad I wish I could say "just get over it, you don't have any responsibilities what else were you going to do today" and then go to work
Thanks at least you think I'm doing something right..I don't want to be to close last week she kicked me in the stomach don't think bub will appreciate it too much. I just wish she'd stop. I hate to think what the neighbours think :(
Surely she'll tire herself out eventually??
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:38am
Poor you! I know how hard it is to be patient when it just goes on and on, especially since at 4 they can answer back and say horrible things too!
When my 4yo is being like that I do the same as you have. Put her in her room and as calmly as possible tell her she can't come out until she can behave herself and treat everyone nicely. (For Ella this includes asking for things in a nice voice and not whining)
At 4 she is old enough to be left for a good long while (assuming she is safe in her room and can't hurt herself or anything), so if you can bear or block out the screaming and kicking for a bit, I suggest waiting her temper out. Ella has never done the screaming etc for longer than 20 mins or so. Once it goes quiet I give her another 10 minutes and go in to see if she's ready to come out and enjoy the day with us.
I don't know if your girl is like mine, but with Ella, I just can't reason with her when she is all worked up crying or in a temper. Its easier to just let her get it all out, away from us and then try again when she has stopped and is ready to listen and play again.
Also, if you're lucky she might fall asleep while she's in there! (fingers crossed!)
Another thing I *try to* do when Ella is really, really overtired and emotional is keep acknowledging her feelings and sympathising with her. Eg: Oh Ella, I know you're feeling really tired and sad, it must be really hard for you to be patient with Ben, why don't you come and give me a hug'
Sometimes that backfires and she tanties anyway, but sometimes she responds really well to it and I get lots of cuddles and love instead of tantrums
If all else fails, you could try snuggling her up on the couch with some popcorn and a DVD this afternoon. Close the curtains so its like a real movie and hope that she drifts off!
Good luck!!

ETA:   "Ella has never done the screaming etc for longer than 20 mins or so" - I mean in her room, without a target or audience.

Edited by caraMel
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:39am

at DH!

Originally posted by jjands jjands wrote:

Surely she'll tire herself out eventually??

Yeah, you'd think so.  Is she even winding down?

I totally agree with not giving her the opportunity to lash out at you again.

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:41am
Don't stress about the neighbours, unless they're bored old snooty curtain-twitchers I'm sure they'll know how dramatic 4 year olds can be!

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:44am
Thanks CaraMel.
Yeh next time I might try sympathising with her see if that stops it before it starts. I'm glad you guys have said it's ok for her to vent her tsntrum in her room because when my mother in law is here and I do it she tells me I'm a horrible person and goes off at me about it. Yea she can't hurt herself and I leave the door open halfway so I can peak on her every 10 mins or so make sure she's ok. DVD and popcorn sound like heaven might try that this arvo.
I'm so happy I discovered these forums they make parenting easier
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:47am
she starts to wind down for about 2 mins and I get all excited and ready to get on with my day and then she starts screaming all over again
The neighbours just turned there music up lol
It breaks my heart hearing her scream like this after my inital anger wears off
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:56am
Hang in there, she will get tired of it once she realises you're not buying into it!
I'm a softie too, I find it really hard to see her so upset.
Could you do something with her brother while she is in time-out?
If she can hear you guys carrying on and having fun and realises she's not running the show she might want to play ball again.

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:02am
I did what you suggested and went up to room ( she was screaming "you will let me outa here!")
So i just said I know your tired and upset and that is why I want you to have a sleep and then you can come outside and enjoy the day with eveyone. She said ok and now we're down to quiet sobbing . And even our cats have decided it's safe to come inside.
Thank you sooooo much!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:19am
That is awesome! Well done chick!
Fingers crossed she has a good long sleep and wakes up her old self again.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:32am

Yay, good on you for sticking to your guns (and good on CaraMel for the great advice).

I hope she has a good sleep and is back to being a lovely little lady when she comes out of her room.

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 11:16am
She's stll asleep :) I'm stoked and the real estate agent rang and she has a house for us to look at today-today is getting better!
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 11:18am
Fantastic!
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 11:26am
I wrecked it she just woke up screaming her head off hopefully she'll sort herself out once she wakes up a bit more.
Do you think it's normal for a 4 yr old to do this?
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 11:37am
My niece (at 8yo) still throws massive tantys.  Yes, I think it's completely normal.
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 10:55am
Im 27 and at times I throw massive tantrums

poor you,tantrums are a b*tch , ive been lucky with C she is usually pretty well behaved , and time out works for her but ive seen my friend's 2 year old behave appallingly (but that is because her mother has allowed her to believe she is the boss and panders to her every whim and rewards her for her bad behaviour, god knows what she'll be like when shes 4 ..you say no to her and she glares at you , charming )
however you , are doing pretty much everything I would have suggested, and showing her you are in charge, which is so important.
Obviously my addition is a week and abit late, but just wanted to say as far as I could tell you were doing a good job

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2008 at 2:49pm
Thanks all feedback is good because its a reoccurring problem...yeh I still throw them too but she'd beat me hands down everytime lol
My tanty's have been alot worse since I've been pregnant tho.....DH hates me
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 9:32am
I have a suggestion thats not not very PC, but used to work a treat for my DD. It was suggested to me by a friend who has 7(!!!) children.

When she had those tantrums where she completely lost control I put her into the shower, clothes and all and turned the cold water on. It used to snap her out of it really quickly. Then we could concentrate on finding her some dry clothes and moving on with the day.
concernedmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concernedmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 10:35am
Originally posted by fallen fallen wrote:

I have a suggestion thats not not very PC, but used to work a treat for my DD. It was suggested to me by a friend who has 7(!!!) children.

When she had those tantrums where she completely lost control I put her into the shower, clothes and all and turned the cold water on. It used to snap her out of it really quickly. Then we could concentrate on finding her some dry clothes and moving on with the day.

sounds like child abuse to me!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>