FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOverweight and Pregnant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 7:25pm

Congrats on your BFP

I don't think my experience is one to take much notice of. My pregnancy and birth was a nightmare. 3 months on my BP is still unstable (I'm still on medication), and my sugar levels are still high. I had pre-eclampsia after she was born. Otherwise, the recovery from my emergency c-section has been good. My mobility was fine after birth with only panadol after I got home. I was 7kg under pre-pregnancy weight a month after birth.

Sponsored Links

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 9:06am
The BMI thing can be a joke is all I have to say. I was classified as overweight, when I was 63kg (I'm 154cm tall) and a size 8-10, which is what I was when I got pg (BMI of 26). I'm now "obese" with a BMI of 33, at a weight of 78kg and a size 16. I certainly wouldn't agree with that. I was 98kg when I was in labour with the girls.

Being overweight does predispose you to things like gestational diabetes (which I had), but so does family history (which I also had). I had a lot of trouble with my hips, but that was more to do with the weight of the girls, and the weight I was carrying from fluid. I also had a lot of trouble with reflux - again, attributable to the girls (or, more specifically, Amber hanging around in my ribs). My BP rose a wee bit, but not to dangerous levels (although I had low BP to begin with, so probably a good thing).

My post birth GTT (diabetes test) shows that I'm 0.1 off the level to be classed as diabetic now, and I have been given a tester to try to get my blood sugars down before we get pg again, so I need to watch my diet, exercise and try to lose some of my weight. I am pretty much guaranteed to get GD again though.

Have they classed you as diabetic now Dawn?? I only had my follow up GTT 2 weeks ago, and really surprised the diabetes nurse that it wasn't a definite yes for diabetes, mainly because my sugar levels were so high and erratic during pregnancy. Like I said though, I'm only 0.1 under the level, at the before, 1 hr and 2 hr levels.

I think the biggest thing I have noticed with extra weight and having a c-section is the "apron" which I imagine is worse with carrying weight, than if I wasn't carrying the weight. It gets sweaty
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 10:41am

Kate, no the doctor hasn't said anything. She's repeating the test in another 2 months and will probably decide then. It wasn't a GTT though, just one test. I'm also anaemic :( She wants to get me off the BP meds then hopefully too.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 11:15am
Really??? I was supposed to do my follow up GTT 6 weeks after the girls were born (which is standard), I just kept procrastinating about it. The other tests can't really say anything....GD wouldn't stick around 3-7 months after birth, it should resolve itself pretty quickly after birth.
Mattsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 6:52pm
Hi C&J, I'm obese too, I had problem with a big baby last time - they thought he was big but ended up 8.12 at 38 weeks, so it wasn't that bad. I had a long   induction, but it all worked out in the end. I had gestational diabetes for the last 4 weeks, and pubic symphisis (pain in the pelvis) from about 25 weeks.   I really struggled to loose weight while breastfeeding and after, so I have the same problem this time around.
My most embarassing moment was when the mw was concerned that I was too heavy for the bed they use in the Csection room, ( i wasn't and didn't need it anyway ) MW told me I should loose weight before having #2 so I am dreading meeting her again.

Edited by Mattsmum
J&Ls mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J&Ls mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 10:48am
Mattsmum - get a new MW! That is horrible that she said that to you! Some people are so rude!

J - born 26th April 2008
and
L - born 3rd Sept 2010

Dora269449 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dora269449 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 7:59pm
I put on 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 13kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose the weight you accumulated during pregnancy.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Dora
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456