FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOverweight and Pregnant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overweight and Pregnant
    Posted: 29 April 2009 at 7:25pm
Hi all

I am hoping to hear from some people that were overweight when they found out they were pregnant. I would like to know how you found your pregnancy, did you have any extra risks, did you have big babies etc. I myself am a bigger girl about 15-20 kg overweight and am pregnant. Most of it put on while working at my job that i just left today in an office environment where i was eating all the time, im now working part-time and in a retail job and find i dont eat as much while sitting at home or at a retail job so am hoping to start being healthier during my pregnancy and will be walking 4-6kms a day.

Anyways any of your stories would be much appreciated, if you dont want to post publicly as such do please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Edited by bexandantz

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 8:36pm
i was probably my most overweight with my first pregnancy ... i didnt have any extra health issues, despite the dr's thinking i should. baby wasnt huge, normal size i thought. its harder to buy maternity clothes, sometimes i despaired i would even look pregnant, and getting up and down on mw's tables was not fun! i never wanted to be big when i gave birth tho...in the end i dont think my size had anything to do with how my labour went, but being fitter is definitely a bonus!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 8:54pm
I was overweight in all my pregnancies and it didn't cause me any problems. My babies were on the big side (9lb, and twins 7lb each at 36 weeks) but then my mum had big babies and she's not overweight. With the gremlins my OB was really worried about gestational diabetes coz of my weight and them being twins but I was reasonably fit and healthy even tho I was overweight so I think that helped.

I was my most unfit with lil miss and the birth was fine, really fast. One thing that was tricky was having CTG monitoring done as there was a lot of fat on my stomach so it was difficult to get a good trace. I vaguely remember seeing something in the notes about that when I was in labour with Maya too.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 9:26pm
I started out fatter this pg (I was an average size 10-12 with Issy).

And there hasnt been much difference in the pgs so far .. bp is perfect .. although my iron was a tad low this time around.

Obv I havent gone through labour as yet, so I cant comment on that side of things just yet, but I havent noticed any real difference in the lead up to the big event. (apart from the fact that my bump is decidedly bigger this time around!)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 9:29pm
I started out fatter this pg (I was an average size 10-12 with Issy).

And there hasnt been much difference in the pgs so far .. bp is perfect .. although my iron was a tad low this time around.

Obv I havent gone through labour as yet, so I cant comment on that side of things just yet, but I havent noticed any real difference in the lead up to the big event. (apart from the fact that my bump is decidedly bigger this time around!)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 9:47pm
Thanks for the replies so far ladies keep them coming.

Emma what is CTG sorry?

Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 10:10pm
I was really overweight, the docs were suprised that I even managed to get pregnant. I had a pretty smooth pregnacy except for a few weeks where I had high bp but that was it, they saig I was at hight risk for gestational diabetes but my GTT results were the lowest my mw had seen. I was worried that I wouldnt look pregnant however I did, by 25wks everyone thought I was carrying twins. I didnt hace a straght forward birth, I had a failed induction where my body didnt go into labour so had to have a cs. during the induction my mw made see 5 anaethetists to make sure I wasnt too fat for an epidural, this was the hardest part of the whole pregnancy because I felt i was being ridiculed for being fat. I recovered really well from the cs but the docs were worried about me getting an infection in my wound because of my overhanging belly, I never got one. I did have to have daily clexane injections for 2 weeks to help prevent DVT.

Sorry for the novel
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 10:18pm

I'm overweight now, and was to begin with, quite overweight if you look at the scales, but then if you look at my proportions not bad iykwim. I'm roughly a size 16 somethings were an 18, and since my first mw appointment at 14weeks I have only put on 3kg so quite impressed with that. I found that since being pregnant I have been eating heaps better, quite aware of what I am putting in my body and since your not meant to have deli meats and stuff it was harder to eat lunch but that was ok got that all sorted (have been naughty a little bit with sushi and stuff).

I know exactly what you mean about the sitting down thing, up until a month before I got pregnant I was working on my feet and that was my only form of exercise then weeks before I got pregnant I joined a gym bahaha what a waist of money thats been.

MW asked me to have the GTT at 14 weeks because my bmi was higher then normal but that was perfectly in the middle. I've had no ms or anything else other then headaches and part of that was stress and dehydration. So all in all its been good.

No idea about the birth yet obviously as this is my first, mw thinks its going to be easy. Msg me if you want to talk more as you get further along

Edited to say that when I say overweight I mean I am over 100kg pre preg weight and I know I am as I was that when I first joined the non-existent gym I go to

Edited by oOElleOo

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 10:30pm
leelee i had forgot all about the clexane injections....

i think that as leelee said too that because you are overweight the medical profession expect you to have problems and do tend to make you feel bad, and act so surprised when nothing is wrong!

ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 10:51pm

When I fell pregnant I was rougly the same weight as  I am now!...I ate about 50/50 diet of healthy and unhealthy food, mainly because for part of the first half of my pregnancy I was commuting from Hamilton to Auckland at 4:30am, and had constant morning sickness that could only be eased by eating lol. I didn't do any exercise either!. I did start to get a little puku (on top of my already fat stomach lol) from 12 weeks on, so don't worry about not looking pregnant Nearer the end of my pregnancy I developed borderline gestational diabetes and high blood pressure. I was induced but arrived to the hospital already dilated, ended up with an Emergency Csection as I developed a high temp (risk of infection occuring), healed well from that. Bubs was bigish 9lb 8oz, but that was genetics (long bones). I definitely want to get my weight down before I fall pregnant again...which I' gonna have to do fast since DP wants to start now!. I will definitely keep up my exercise and healthy eating as well. Good luck with your pregnancy

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 8:03am
I was way overweight when i got pregnant(pregnancy and feeding made me lose weight but i eventually put it back on) and noone even mentioned my weight... i had some PE issues but that wasn't weight related ....the only thing was because I wasn't fit I think my recovery from the emergency c-section was a lot longer.. I'm working on the weight loss now but man it's harder to get off than put on!:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 8:54am
I am 10kg heavier this time around than last time and yep, am overweight. I had no problems last time and don't anticipate any this time either. My BP is normal and I know my blood sugars are good too because DH is a Type 1 diabetic and I use his testing gear to check quite regularly.

Now that I am feeling better I am trying to eat more healthy. Luckily I am not craving chocolate, which is such a downfall of mine normally. I am 'almost' dieting because of how careful I am being. My appetite has also totally dropped off also which really helps.   

Also I am reasonably tall so my BMI is actually only 32.

Charlotte was 8lb9oz which to me wasn't that big. My family have babies that are 9lb plus.

Edited by CuriousG

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 9:54am
bexandantz I was overweight with both my pregnancies but ate healthily and walked like you plan to - of course I didn't deprive myself from a treat here and there!! I lost weight in the first trimester of both my pregnancies and and only gained 10kgs above my prepreg weight and lost it all again in the first 6 weeks so I am back at my pre-preg weight now :) Both of my births were straight forward and there were never any concerns as I was healthy throughout both pregnancies.

All the best of luck to you!!!
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 10:26am
*puts hand up*

Yup, I was o/w with B (was in 3 figures by 34 weeks) and had no probs at all during my pregnancy with him (apart from being SO sick for the first 4 months) I went into labour on my own, but it took 3 days of contractions to get to 10cm, by which time he was in foetal distress, there were no probs getting an epi line in (that was done a few hours before B went into distress thankfully) and while I did have an infection in the c-section wound, that was because of dressing changes not happening when they should have. The rest of my recovery was pretty straightforward.

This time around I started off 10kg heavier than I was pre-preg with B, but have gained less overall than I did with him, and am now sitting app at what I was at the same stage with him. This preg has had a few issues (pelvic probs, extended 'morning' sickness, threatened early labour, and fainting, none of which has anything to do with my weight) I have had no issues with Diabetes, even tho I have a close family history of it, and my blood pressure has been fine, with the exception of my fainting episode where it was a bit low.

Good luck!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 11:53am
i forgot to say i did have high bp but it wasnt weight related and Ethan was 7 pd 3..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Jannat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 12:44pm
I am overweight and have been most of my life :( tried lots to lose weight but nothing worked for me. I am 13 weeks and have not gained any weight yet from my pre preg weight (which unfortunatley is already over 100kg mark).
So far the probs i have had is food always hungry and want sweeties but try to stick with fruit rather than choc. I am having a hard time eating proteins not sure why and my hips are already sore esp my right hip. I hope i can have a natural birth and I have seen there is hardly any maternity clothes for a size 20 0r 22 which will make things hard.
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 1:53pm

I was overweight pre baby too, prob 18/20. I gained around 17kgs when pg. I struggled to find nice maternity clothes to wear too - I ended up getting stuff from Kmart, Warehouse - just bigger sized stuff mainly. I was worried I wouldnt look pg - but by about 26wks it was obvious!

I didnt have any problems, other than sore hips - which I had osteo for, I had a long labour, but who knows whether that would have been different if I was skinny?!

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 2:40pm

I was overweight with both pg's....got pg straight away with both and other than severe ms had no problems, well until the last 4 weeks with both.

Leah was a month early but that was our only complication, and I put on 4 kgs about my pre birth weight. Weighed 6lb 2 oz born.

Joel was 10 days early and I put on 1 kg. At 36.5 weeks I was admitted to hosp with severe pain along cs scar, then had very high bp (only time in both pg's) and started to have early labour pains, but that all calmed down and we waited another couple of weeks. Joel weighed 7lb 8 oz born and was a forceps del.

Good luck with everything.

littlestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:14pm
I just wanted to say thank you to you guys for sharing. I am overweight (20kgs) and do worry if this is putting bubs at harm or anything.
Sounds like apart from feeling as big as a house already there isn't too much extra to worry about.

I am super careful about what I eat cos I am concerned about GD.
Just past the 17wk mark and currently 7kgs lighter than when I started, but bubs has been measuring all ok at my scans so the drs aint too concerned if I drop a bit of weight (I have plenty left)
I was worried about maternity clothes but am thrilled I fit PP no problems and egg clothing (just)
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:32pm
lol littlestar, I was worired I wouldnt fit any nice maternity stuff either, and bought a pair of jeans in XL hoping they would fit... I have had to adjust them to smallest possible fit as they kept falling off me bum! prob the first time I have had pants do that to me lol, I usually have no probs keeping them on as I fill them up oh so nicely hehe. I'm normally a 16 top, and 18 pants/skirt (pre-preg), and it appears size L clothing from PP was quite adequate for me
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>