FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMarch 2011 babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 376>
Author
belle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 12:17pm
I love what your GP says about BF travelchick, if only all health professionals were the same. My GP is very supportive with us FF, however I had a Plunket nurse tell me I should have stuck with BF and my supply would have increased, and it's not really that hard. When I asked her how many kids she had her answer was none, so I guess her attitude will change when she's had one!

As for being asked by Plunket how I'm doing, have never been asked. It's lucky I'm not having too many issues coping, just the usual frustration at baby not sleeping and feeling tired myself. I'm kind of loosing faith in Plunket, Sophie is 15 weeks today and we have had a total of 2 home visits. Is this normal or are we missing out? After the first visit at 6 weeks we didn't hear from them for 1 month. When I rang and asked if I was meant to be going in for visits they had no record of us at all, apparently our file has been misplaced or lost. They came the next day, but I'm still waiting for another visit since 10 week check. I'm not to worried, Sophie gets weighed and checked by our GP (who is also a pediatrician) when we need more Gaviscon, so maybe I'll flag Plunket all together.

RB and Amalyse I know what you mean about babies trying to pull one over you, Sophie has started doing an ear piercing scream when she wants something, usually when she can see I'm getting a bottle ready, obviously I'm not doing it fast enough!

Hope your Dr's appointment went well LL, and things are starting to get a bit easier, or you are getting plans in place for extra help and support from DH. It can be exhausting trying to look after a baby and keep the house in a half decent state on your own. Especially when the person who is meant to be helping is attached to the XBox!
Sponsored Links

karenb_chch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 4:00pm
Hey Belle, bummer about plunket. I had 2 home visits with Emma (at 5 and 8 weeks) and have just visited the local plunket rooms today with the next appt in a month. I would call them and give someone a bollocking.

All the health professionals I have talked to have completely supported my decision to FF, with comments like "I don't blame you" and "Well done for BFing so long", which sure helps. TC - I totally agree with your comments that bfing is not the be all and end all of parenting. I felt so much relief when I finally decided that enough was enough. I just wish I could stop already but need to wait untl abscesses are completely cleared.

Emma has decided that the only place she wants to sleep today is in my arms. Very hard to get anything done but if it means that she sleeps, then I can type one handed...
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:47pm
Hey ladies :)

The doctors appointment the other day went pretty ok. He checked out Seths ears because I thought that maybe they were troubling him but they're fine. We've started on Gaviscon and Seth is actually enjoying his bottles now. Before I would have to burp him every 50mls because he would spit the bottle out and not want any more. Now he takes a full 100mls to 130mls without stopping and LOVES it. He's so much happier now. His sleep is still terrible though but it's getting a bit better, slowly.

The doc also agrees that I have PND and so started me on Citalopram. Even after only 5 days I'm feeling calmer and more able to cope. It's great. The side effects are a bit weird though.

Ah yes, FFing guilts. I have soooooo been there. I'm still mixed feeding most feeds but I still don't like having to give my boy formula. I had a massive cry to the LC about it back when Seth was only a few weeks old and she was awesome in reassuring me.

The xbox day didn't go quite as planned lol, they ended up watching a movie instead.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 2:30pm
Hey LL - glad to hear things are looking up for both you and Seth!
mumzie4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumzie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 3:25pm
Hi all,busy morning here with saturday sport.I dropped Eden of at mums because I didn't fancy taking her out in the rain.Gosh,it was only for 2.5 hours but man I missed my little girl!It was the first time I had left her with someone for longer then 10 minutes,funny how you worry even though you know they are in a perfectly safe placeIm not looking forward to tomorrow,we have a planned powercut from 9am until 4pm,yikes,might have to be board game day Hope everyone is having a great weekend with our wonderful little ones
mum2QTs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2QTs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 9:43pm
Hay Guys,
Been such a long time since i've been on here, so thought i'd pop in a and say hi.

Sorry about the PND some of you are going through, but good on you for getting help. I'd go insane with out my coffee group, it's really good as most of us have older kids as well around the same age so know what each of us is going through, plus we offer to look after each other kids if need be.

And a big hello to all you new ladies

Well we have just been busy as at the moment as we are going to India next month, so so much planing and sorting out what we need to take.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend and will post some more once i sit down a bit longer and can go through posts
amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 10:57pm
Hey LL - what are the side effects? Are you signed up for any support groups? I'm going back to therapy again soon. I think cause DH is actually "getting to me" that much. Apart from having his income a lot of the time I feel like a solo mother... Really sucks, he may be very involved for 3 hours a day on the weekend and perhaps 30minutes on the weekdays....

belle - I hope it comes very difficultly to her when she has a child! I know it's mean... but seriously... you can not underestimate how hard it can be - it can also be very easy for some people - which seems totally unfair. I realized it could be hard, but not that hard!!

My plunket nurse is BRILLIANT by the sounds of it - she books the next appointment at the one before, I think we're ahead of schedule... We had two home visits at about 5 and 8 weeks then another when we went to clinic at a 11 and a bit weeks (that was a the 3 month check)... We have our next one booked in for July I think at the end - for the 5 month check (she will only be 4.5 months)
On our first visit when she saw how concerned I was about weight gain she was SO quick at getting me sent through to someone. She's a real gem actually, lovely woman... Might have to go ahead and mention to Plunket how pleased we are with her!
nubba View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 11:03pm
Gosh ladies.... not been on here in soooooo long but must admit to lurking when i get the chance!!

re plunket - i have to admit i think they are a bit slack. we had the most amazing midwife so i think i had unrealistic expectations of how my plunket nurse would be. She is nice enough but i feel like we are just a number to her and she is not that interested in my well bring...more interested in paperwork and getting out the door!!

DD is going through a growth spurt at the moment so feel like i am constantly breastfeeding and shattered hopefully it won't last too much longer
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 8:26am
lurker I think like all health things there are not enough plunket nurses and they have big case loads
susie
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 3:45pm
Amalyse, well so far I have had tiredness, feeling like my eyelids are stuck to my eyeballs and eyelid twitching (believe me it looks weird and feels even weirder!) which makes me see double, makes everything blurry and makes my eyes water terribly.

I haven't signed up for any groups or anything like that. I wouldn't know where to find one!

DH has improved in his involvement with Seth but he still doesn't do a lot. I don't mind though because what he does do really helps.

We have plunket coming on Tuesday. I'm wondering how much Seth weighs now since he's feeling SO heavy now!

I have to take Seth back to the docs on Wednesday but I'm amazed by the difference in him just from the Gaviscon. He's not screaming after feeds anymore and he's hardly spilling at all anymore!

amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 7:28pm
LL :( That sounds yucky... It will take a few weeks to start working, so just hang in there - i'm on an SSRI as well!
Found this one http://www.postnataldistress.org.nz/index.php but not in whangarei - was thinking emailing them and ask if there is something like that in Whangarei?

I hope you find some encouragement in the fact you're growing a wonderful healthy happy chubby boy! Hehehe :)

I agree - there is NEVER enough funding for such things like plunket. I think many of them would be overworked. After how well they have been with me, I am going to start giving more support to them! If I had privately paid for all the support I have received from them I would have spent probably 600 or 700 dollars so far!
travelchick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travelchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 8:10pm
I have found plunket fantastic too Amalyse. You can always support them in other ways - like being on committees etc that support/fundraise for the Plunket rooms/parents centres/play groups. I attend a Plunket playgroup, mainly for DS1 who is 2, but it is a great place to network with other mums and make new friends, and some of the mums who attend are on various plunket committees and they ensure the rooms have appropriate toys, playgroups to meet different community needs etc. People have quite varying experiences with plunket nurses, but there is more to Plunket than that.
amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 10:04pm
http://www.mothersmatter.co.nz/default.asp

LL - there is a postnatal distress forum, perhaps if you can find someone in Whangarei? - i'm happy to find something if you're not so keen to do it. PND affects so many people that there will surely be something there. I will call around tomorrow if you want me to :)

travelchick - yeah i'm quite keen to go and help out there once the little one is a bit older.
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 10:27pm
LL, my AN group has been a life saver and we still meet weekly (and all have 2 kids now). You should ask your PN about any parent groups in your area when you see her on Tuesday. Glad to hear that you went to see your GP. It takes alot of courage to admit that you're not feeling all that great. Do you have a F/up apt arranged to review how things are going? Would be gd to mention your side-effects. Hopefully they'll resolve soon.

mumzie4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumzie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 9:54am
Cough cough cough ALL night.Off to the doc we go.Poor little munchkin
mumzie4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumzie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 3:23pm
My poor wee darling has Bronchilitis,by the sounds of it we might be in for another all-nighter
ArielAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArielAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 4:02pm
Hi girls,

Sorry, I don't get on here to post much any more but I do lurk and see what you are all up to!

That sucks mumzie - hope that the night isn't as bad as you think it might be.

LilLease - Good on you for getting help (for both yourself and Seth). I didn't want to believe that A had reflux but she is a much happier baby now she on Losec. I hope those side effects settle down for you though.

PND - My Plunket nurse asks how I am feeling and whether I am getting out of the house. For the most part I feel good - I'm sure the occasional bouts of tears are bought on by hormones and/or lack of sleep!

Plunket - I really like my Plunket nurse. She has been a midwife aswell so I think that helps. She's not judgmental either and has a way of giving advice which doesn't make you feel like a terrible parent.

We had a terrible nights sleep last night - A woke up every 1-2 hours from 8pm so as you can imagine I didn't get a lot of sleep. She's had a couple of 1hr naps today but a silly courier banged on the door earlier and woke her up from what would have been her nice long nap (I usually get one of around 2-3hrs). I've just put her down again, hopefully she'll sleep for a while - I'm sure she needs it!

Oh, and the 12 week/3 month shedding of hair has started - I'm glad that it was mentioned in our antenatal classes (and elsewhere) as otherwise I'm sure I would have been freaked out at the amount of hair coming out in the shower and when I brush!
After 16 months TTC, surprise BFP July 10
DD1 Mar 11
After 9 months TTC, BFP on 4th Clomid cycle Feb 13
DD2 Oct 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 5:15pm
Could be worse AA - Emmas afternoon nap was interrupted by me half falling on her as I ran/stumbled to her during the earthquake! (I think she might have slept through the quake otherwise!) Seriously over them by now.
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 8:38pm
Amalyse, I'm feeling better already but I have a feeling that's because the pills make me tired so when I sleep I sleep better than I have been. Lack of sleep would have been a part of me feeling so crap but I know there's more to it than just that.

That would be really great if you could do the searching for PND groups for me, I barely get time on the computer at the moment and that's all taken up by checking FB groups and here lol.

Kabe, I have a feeling that my AN group has excluded me Either that or it's fallen apart. They used to meet up every 2 weeks but I only made it to one meetup and then offered my place as the next location for the coffeegroup and after that I haven't heard anything from them.

Yeah I have to take Seth back to the GP this week for a followup on his reflux and to get another sript for more. I might just mention it to him while I'm there though vision changes and tiredness were detailed as possible side effects in the info pamphlet I got with the pills.

Mumzie, that your little one has brochilitis. It sounds terrible.

Seth is really fighting sleeping at the moment He's still not sleeping properly during the day and now it's getting harder and harder to get him to sleep in the evenings. He's sleeping pretty on overnight though which is good, he's down to one wakeup between 12 and 7.

mumzie4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumzie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 9:07pm
karenb thinking of you and all the other chch families,hope you all have a safe night
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 376>