FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMarch 2011 babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 372373374375376>
Author
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2011 at 7:40pm

Don't worry about weaning off wrapping, I wrapped DS1 until 8 months!!!!! He just needed it, then I decided to not do so and he was fine, I think i'll wrap Lachie for less, but you never know.

][/URL]

Sponsored Links

ArielAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArielAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 10:26am
Hope you all had awesome weekends!

Wrapping/Swaddling – For the past two/three weeks I’ve been swaddling A with one arm out for her day sleeps. It’s going really well so I’ve just started leaving her one arm out at night time. I tried a couple of times last week during the day with both arms out or not swaddled at all but she seems to get too distracted with both hands available for playing/sucking and doesn’t settle well but might try again this week.

RubyBaby – I hope Mothercraft goes well. I think I’ve heard of it – is it a place you go and stay with your bubs and they help you with any issues you are having? Is it a public or private thing?

Cots – A has been in her cot almost since the beginning. To begin with she’d be in the P&T cocoon in the lounge, in the P&T cocoon in the cot, or just in the cot but she’s just been in the cot for at least the last six weeks. She’s still in our room though, want to move her to her own room in next couple of weeks but need to get a curtain up in there first.

Was going to write more but A’s just woken up so better go!
After 16 months TTC, surprise BFP July 10
DD1 Mar 11
After 9 months TTC, BFP on 4th Clomid cycle Feb 13
DD2 Oct 13
amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 2:16pm
Not going to bother with weaning of swaddling yet... just keep going with what works for you ...and then change if you have to.

Having terrible trouble with day sleeps :( poor little girl, needs her sleep but keeps whinging all the way through it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArielAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 8:46am
That sucks about the day sleeps amalyse. I hope that they get better soon.

We started swaddling with one arm out because A was starting to get upset when she didn't have at least one hand out and would just wriggle, squirm and grunt until she had worked one arm out of the swaddle. She managed to get her second hand out last night and true to form, she was more unsettled with both of them accessible so will keep going with just one arm/hand out for a while I think.

As for us, A is teething! The poor thing has had a couple of sore days but looks like it is calming down now (the cheeks are less red anyway). I can see/feel part of a tooth on the bottom right hand side of her mouth and there are quite a few white patches on both sides at then bottom which might indicate there are more teeth just waiting to pop through.

Anyway, better go put A back to bed and then try for a shower.
DD1 Mar 11
DD2 Oct 13
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 4:55pm
Ah yes, swaddling. Seth is weaned off it now since mum looked after for him for a day and a night and she couldn't wrap him up securely enough so he would always wriggle out and he ended up sleeping with his arms out with her so I tried it and he settled fine. Well as well as he does anyway.

I haven't been on much lately because I'm staying at my mums at the moment to try to sort out Seths bad sleeping and it's been rather interesting. One night he slept all the way through the night! 9pm til 7am and not a peep from him in between. Last night was the worst night so far with 3 hourly wakings ALL NIGHT! I'm trying a new technique for settling him as well. It's the Pick up/Put down one. It's working quite well at the moment, when it actually works.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

urfriendlypharmacist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urfriendlypharmacist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 5:13pm
Hello ladies,

Not sure if this has been asked before, but was wondering what methods you used to teach your bubba how to self-settle. DS isn't too bad, but I have been noticing that he is being held quite a lot to fall asleep. Tried to let him cry a little for a nap today, which failed b/c it was too close to feeding time. I am not overly concerned yet, but would like to instill some good self soothing methods.

lil_lease: what's the pick up/put down thing?

Cheers,
kat
karenb_chch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 7:48am
I'm hoping to get to the plunket family center soon (couldn't last week as it was closed due to the earthquakes ... again) for help on settling Emma. She will only fall asleep while being held which can be very tiring. I'm not interested in letting her cry it out, or even controlled crying, so hopefully there are some useful suggestions.

We are off for our first big road trip this weekend - up to Nelson. The longest car trip she has done so far is 45 mins, so the 4 hours to Nelson will be interesting. If anyone has any tips, these would be greatly appreciated. AFM, I'm still getting daily dressings on my former breast abscess - the nurse says she's never seen anything like it, which is not that reassuring, but at least it is finally healing. Hopefully then I will be able to get Emma fully weaned onto formula - she is helping the process by refusing the breast sometimes (which can actually be quite uncomfortable, as I can't express my sore boob, because the dressing is in the way).

Hope everyone else is doing well ... It seems like sleep is still the big issue for most of us.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 7:48am
AA - OMG - teething already! Something else to look forward to!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArielAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 4:11pm
Lillease – that sucks that Seth is being so inconsistent. I’ve thought about trying the pick up/put down technique – definitely let me know more about how you are getting on with it.

Kat – We used to hold A to get her to sleep but that quickly became really time consuming especially as she would often wake and start crying when we put her into her cot, so now I have my own CIO method. I put A into bed singing her a lullaby with white noise going, then I tuck her in, kiss her and say ‘love you, sleep well, I’ll see you when you wake up’ – she almost always will grizzle or cry when I put her down. If it is more of a grizzle I’ll wait ten minutes before going to her, if it’s more of a cry then I’ll wait five minutes and if it’s full on crying then I’ll wait up to three minutes – when I go in I pick up her and give her a cuddle and sing her a lullaby three times then I put her back into bed, and repeat the process. Sometimes she’ll go down right away with a couple of grizzles and then right off to sleep, sometimes it takes ten minutes, sometimes half an hour – very rarely does she cry on and off without going to sleep for more than an hour (at which point I would get her up for feed/play/sleep anyway).

Karen – my understanding is that Plunket advocate CIO/controlled crying. I don’t like listening to A cry which is why I have the three tiers – sometimes the three minutes while she is full on crying is more to give me a break because it can be so hard trying to settle an unsettled baby. It’s amazing the number of times I’ve waited five minutes of grizzling/crying and been about to walk into the room and she’s fallen asleep!

My one travel tip would be don’t stop if you baby isn’t crying even if it’s been two or three hours since they’ve been fed/changed. I know that babies shouldn’t be in their carseats for too long which is why we stopped after two hours but then A was really really unsettled (full on crying for almost an hour, and then on and off for another hour after that!) once we put her back in after a feed/change. I think she would have lasted a lot longer without crying if we hadn’t stopped.

I couldn’t believe A was teething already either! I feel so sorry for the poor poppet – I can definitely see a bit of tooth sticking out at the bottom right hand side, not sure whether the whole thing will pop up. It’s just quite frustrating as lots of things they suggest to help soothe teething babies don’t apply to those only three months old! I’m going to try some Weleda teething powder and might have a look at some smallish teething toys (small as in, will fit in a three months old mouth) – but otherwise I guess we have to ride it out!

Anyway, A is finally awake so better go!

Hope you are all going well and keeping warm!
DD1 Mar 11
DD2 Oct 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 4:57pm
AA - thanks for the tips. As far as I know (from other mums and my PN) plunket here don't suggest CIO/CC, at least for this age group ...interesting with different approaches for different regions huh?

Anyone know how RubyBaby's doing at mothercare?
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 7:38pm
AA, the PU/PD technique made Seths sleeping worse so I'm not currently using it. We've moved onto CIO I don't have any other option at the moment. We've been put onto something called The 3 day Sleep olution and it sounds like it could work so I'm going to give it a go.

Kat, The pick up put down technique is you put your baby to bed and when they stary crying you pat them and stroke their head. If they don't settle then you pick them up and pat their back until they stop crying then put them straight back to bed then repeat until the baby is asleep. In the end Seth would start crying as we were lowering him into the cot and would not stop until we would pick him up. We tried for several days but it was just not working. In the end mum rang plunketline and they didn't sound convinced that it was a viable method of teaching him to go to sleep.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 7:54pm
There was a link in another thread to an article on baby sleep which I think is really good: http://dreamparenting.com/assets/the-crying-game.pdf

No real 'solutions' but some good info ...
bumblebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumblebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 10:21am
Hey girls,
Havent been on here for a while, been on the facebook group more.
Lil Lease just wondering if you heard about the Sleeping and settling tips for baby free workshop at te puawai ora? its held once a month i think the next one is on 11th july 10am till 12pm, i went to one when bentley was bout 6ish weeks old, (tips werent useful for him at that age but did help later on) i did find it useful as there were other mums there too which you can share experiences and tips, you dont need to book either just turned up. theres also a breastfeeding workshop too
[URL=http://lilyslim.com][IMG]http://swlm.lilyslim.com/xSCep12.png][/URL]

[URL=http://lilypie.com][IMG]http://lb1m.lilypie.com/yjadp12.png][/URL]
RubyBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RubyBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 12:01pm
OMG I feel for all you women not living in the Waikato/BOPish area!! Mothercraft is fantastic... I am so confused as to why they don't have them all over NZ!!I am actually going back for a second week because they haven't quite fixed Jacob yet!

Ok this is their way of doing things, and at first I was really not keen, but I have seen an improvement in Jacob, so I am going to do my best over the weekend and see where we go from there.

My problems were that Jacob was feeding every 1 1/2 - 2 hours and was not sleeping through the day. He was sleeping 11 hours at night without waking, but we have established that this was due to pure exhaustion!

So.. they say to let a 3 1/2 month old baby go 4-5 hours between feeds - for Jacob he should be sleeping most of the time between feeds, and should only be up for a maximum of 1 1/2 hours - put to bed sooner if showing signs of being tired.

They are adamant that babies should be wrapped - tightly! Up to the age of about 6 or so months.

So put baby to bed, once (if) they start crying leave them for 10-15 mins, then go in and check they are still wrapped (Jacob was forever getting out of their wrap until they let me use my miracle wrap), and check that they haven't done mass poos (a quick sniff of the air will tell you this - don't need to worry about little bit of poos, but lots and this might be what is upsetting them. Only pick them up for one of these reasons.

Then either put a dummy in - if they are used to being fed to sleep (Jacob), put your palm on their cheek and keep it there till they are settled. Like your boobie is right there. Try rocking the cot, which is easy with their old flimsy cots, but hard with the newer sturdy cots, or try patting them. ONce they are settled, leave. If they start crying again, leave them for 10-15mins again and repeat the process. Eventually they try rocking or driving round the parking lot in their prams (old fashioned baby carriage) with them all tucked in, just to see if they can get them to sleep. Otherwise up after 4 - 5 hours - they like to leave them to resettle up to about 4 1/2 hours, but if they don't get them up, otherwise, if they are asleep at 5 hours, wake them up.

Then they get an hour to feed, then half an hour for playtime. Jacob only got 1 hour, because he was just sooo tired.
We established after a few test weigh feeds that he isn't getting enough - I have the supply, he just isn't getting it (belly too small, too lazy, too tired, poor latch - take your pick).

Will continue this later as my sister has just arrived!

Edited by RubyBaby
[URL=http://lilypie.com][IMG]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/c6rDp13.png][/URL]

[URL=http://lilyslim.com][IMG]http://swlf.lilyslim.com/xr3Sp12.png][/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArielAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 2:24pm
Wow - quiet in here! Guess everyone is using the Facebook page more (must admit I'm there more often than on here - in some ways it's just easier!)

RubyBaby - Glad you are seeing an improvement in Jacob after visiting Mothercare.

Oh bugger, reflux symptoms reared their ugly head again yesterday and having just put Abby down the poor thing is crying again in that horrible "I'm so uncomfortable and don't know what's happening" way - better go check on her.

Hope everyone, and their bubs, are well!

DD1 Mar 11
DD2 Oct 13
amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:18pm
Not impressed we are the bottom of the page... sooo *bump*

After all, our March group is the best!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 2:32pm
Ruby - thanks for sharing that info about Mothercare, sounds like it is really working for you, which is great.

Our coffee group had a visit from Ali Voysey-Jensen yesterday (a Tommee Tippee Tea-Time Talk) and it was great. If you get the chance to have her visit, I highly recommend it. She's kind of a baby whisperer type person, as well as having been a lactation consultant and paediatric nurse, and has some really useful tips for all the stuff we keep talking about here (like settling etc). She gave some really good tips about helping Emma self-settle, and they seem to be working ... she's fallen asleep by herself twice in the past 24 hours which is unheard of!

AFM, I have nearly got Emma fully weaned onto bottles now. Only one real BF, first thing in the morning, so I'm really happy with that. Hopefully I'll be able to drop that feed too in the next few days.
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by RubyBaby RubyBaby wrote:

they like to leave them to resettle up to about 4 1/2 hours, but if they don't get them up, otherwise, if they are asleep at 5 hours, wake them up.

That seems like a very long time to keep resettling! I'd also want to refeed in that time. So pleased you found it helpful. I might try some of your settling suggestions, as Anahera will only sleep on me. Today plunket suggested rocking to sleep in her pram, so my arms get a rest!

Have to dash, but back later to comment more

amalyse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amalyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:33pm
Big problems with sleep here today too. Well we did do the move into the cot - and there's so much more to see there.... Had to get her up and do a few swift rocks to calm her down at one stage and put her back down. But the move had to happen. Gosh knows what we'll do if we go on holiday... She's not very transportable. Will have to get a portacot and train her before we go.

One really good thing I learn about settling... is to give them a really good swift rock if they are worked up, and then a slow one, a fast one etc etc (push if in pram) and then just before they fall asleep you should be down to almost no movement...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 6:38am
Hey ladies, I guess no-one is posting here anymore huh? Could someone perhaps invite me to the facebook group ... I miss you all I'm Karen Burton and my email is robertk3@lincoln.ac.nz Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 372373374375376>