FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSingle Parents UNITE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 3:51pm

Rach I'm good thanks.  Things just seem to tick along here really.  When I don't have the kids I have been trying to finish painting the lounge - probably the longest it's taken anyone to paint anything!!

Codysmum - brilliant that you will be all set up for the baby.  I think from memory you can earn up to $80 per week on the DPB (but I can't remember whether that is before tax or after).  I was always going to go back to work and also get child support so don't get thye DBP but in Wgtn things would be pretty tight too.

Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 3:54pm

Ricker have you spoken with anyone at the Family Court?  If you are afraid that her Dad will attempt to take her without your consent you should see if you can speak to someone from the Family Court in your area tomorrow.  I'm not sure on the actual process around it but you can put in place a Parenting Order that is then enforceable by law.

And Codysmum I forgot to say that my understanding is that you would be under no obligation at 8/9 weeks pregnant to tell a prospective employer that you were pregnant.

Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 7:56pm
Happymumma I checked the WINZ website today and you are allowed to earn $80 before tax and sometimes an extra $20 if paying for childcare. And if I do get around to finding another job it won't be till my MS is totally gone so I would tell them cause I will prob be almost 20wks by then. . I am not to bothered about it, could always just do a paper round or something just for a little extra cash and it would be a good way to get exercise .
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 8:11pm
Does anyone know anything about judicial conferences? My ex and I haven't been able to agree on custody and I filed for a parenting order back in April. We went to councelling but didn't manage to come to any agreement and he filed a defence to my order about a month ago. We have a judicial conference scheduled for the end of the month but I have no idea what to expect.

Ricker if you think he might take your bub without your consent you should file for a parenting order. If you don't have one then he can take bub and you can't do anything about it. My ex threatened me with this quite a few times and my lawyer said that unless there is a parenting order in place each parent has equal right to care of the child and can take the child without the other parent's consent. That's why I filed for an order in the end.
RicKer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicKer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 8:47pm

Edited by RicKer
drumstx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumstx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 9:57pm
oh ricker i feel you   my ex is being a poo! keeps threatening stuff and then i jump and do something to protect myself. it is never ending. the newest is that we have been given a week at ronald mcdonald retreat in rotorua for my youngest and he is now saying unless i let him take one of the children away with him he will try and stop us from going! aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhh the kids are so excited about going is just so mean! why why why do men do these things and why is it seem to be okay for them to just think that it is a right to run over their spouse on the way. rant rant rant i will be back with more no doubt
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 8:23pm
It depends ricker - there are two types of parenting order. There is a consented parenting order where you both agree on access. You can go to your lawyer and get the current arrangement put in writing, then it gets served on him to sign so it can be filed in the court.

If you can't get a consented order (or if like me there is no agreement to start with) then you can file for a non consented order. This starts a process called the early intervention process where you both go (seperately) to a parenting through separation course and also to councelling (joint or sepeartely) to try and come to an agreement. If no agreement then you get a judicial conference (this is the stage I'm at now) and then mediation. If you still can't get agreement then the case goes to court and the judge decides on the custody arrangements.

Keep writing in your book. I have been writing everything down for 9 months now and its been very very helpful. I keep a record of any conversation we have, any access he's had, any texts sent and I print any emails I receive. Its been very helpful coz after a few months you forget what happened and when. Also my ex is denying some stuff that happened back in November and December and I have emails as written proof.

That really sucks drumstx. Vent away!

ETA to correct some of the info.

Edited by Shelt
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 8:24pm
Forgot to say that if there is any suggestion of violence or that the child is endangered/there are safety issues then you can apply for an emergency parenting order and circumvent some of the process.
RicKer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicKer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 9:09pm

Edited by RicKer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 8:08am
Oh you poor thing Ricker.  So far my situation seems relatively straight forward in comparison.  I really hope you get things sorted so that you can have some peace of mind.
julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 7:37pm

found out today my daughters fathers GirlFriend (or should i say "fiance") is pregnant , he told me they had been trying to get pregnant for a year ( Amelia has just turned one 3 weeks ago ) , his GF is only 18 or 19 , i feel sorry for her , at least i got to live , party , and travel the world before i got pregnant to an ar**hole. he started asking me all these questions about midwives and how much newborns cost , the cheek of him!!!!!! he has never ever paid one sent towards Amelia or offerd child support , he wouldnt even sign her birth cert and didnt even contact me on her 1st birthday or get her a present or anything yet he still aknowleges hes her father , kept going on about how the abby better be a boy ( he did the same thing when i was pregnant )

. sorry for my rant , just needed to get it off my chest and thought you guys would prob understand my anger at this situation . I thankgod for my patrner , he really is a million times the man my ex is , he has a child from a previous relationship and he pays so much child support and sees her all the time , to me that shows what a mans really like (how he treats his children )

Ricker - it doesnt sound like your in a very nice situation , hope it gets better

Edited by julz
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 7:53pm
Oh my, I only just found this thread.

I'm a single parent too I'm Trudie I'm 23 and I live with my ma & pa. They're my life savers when I need 2 mins to myself.

My story..
Baby's dad and I were never together, just friends that ended up sleeping together. We kinda got over it and stopped then about a week later I found out I was UTD. He was shocked when I told him but I told him straight up I was keeping it.
He took hardly any interest in the pregnancy. Came to the 20w scan for a 'nosey' (his words) then I didn't see him again til I was 32w. Then he had the cheek to ask to be in the delivery room. I said no. And waited till bubs was born before I told him he was arriving so he didn't just show up.

He's on the birth certificate. And I set up child support but I'm not sure if he pays or whatever coz I'm on the DPB and the money doesn't come directly to me. We've had one fight about him not visiting (he didn't come for 8weeks) and he went on to say things like 'I want some F'ing say in MY son's life' which I got extremely upset about.

If he comes he stays like 40mins at the most.

I wish he'd just go away. But thats not fair on my son..Altho his behaviour now is not fair on him either.

It's sad.

Anyway I think thats it lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 8:32pm

Oh Julz that's tough!  I don't really know what else to say 'cause it's just so crappy that a Dad can seem to care so little about one child and not another.  My children's father dotes on one of ours and although he says all the right things, (and would deny black and blue that this was the case!) doesn't appear to really care about the other a great deal.  It makes me so sad for her because I know what it's like to grow up believing that your Dad doesn't / didn't want you.  It sounds like you have a great partner and if he's as wonderful to your daughter then she is a lucky girl in the end.  It's her biological Dad that will be the loser.

Trudz isn't it weird that on the one hand they show absolutely no interest and then on the other seem to think they have the right to make decisions!  Will never cease to amaze me.

Ricker - are you okay?  Have you managed to sort anything that makes you feel more secure?

Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 6:29pm
Advice needed ladies.

Exdp is going to be working in Napier for possibly at least a year so wants to see Cody next weekend.

He lives 4-5 hrs drive away and wants to meet half way on friday then again on Monday. He wants to have Cody down there with him so that Cody can see that side of his family. I totally understand it all but mum is going on how it is too soon for Cody and that exdp is just thinking about himself, blah blah.

I would rather that he did come up here as I don't fancy the 2hr return drive on Friday then again on Monday, especially since I have been feeling rather lethargic lately. And I know that it will be easier for exdp to have Cody down there in his own space rather then up here with mum around. And if it is going to be the last time he sees him for a year then fair enough.

So any thoughts ladies?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 8:06pm

Personally I would say that if he wants to see him (but doesn't think that contact in the next year is important) then he should be the one making the effort to come to you.  You have enough to deal with without that kind of a drive.  I think the other thing to consider is how Cody will feel.  Is he likely to be excited at his little journey (and excited by seeing Daddy and family), or not cope so well because it is a different environment and out of his routine?  If my DS hadn't seen Daddy for a while and we did that he would be quite upset by it - particularly as it's outside of his normal day to day environment.   If exdp feels his son is important to him then he should make the effort (and I would have thought would want to make that effort more than once in the next year).  Sorry - I hope that's not too opinionated!  Just ignore me if it is!  I think I just feel that it is constantly women who make the effort and go the extra mile (I know that's a terrible generalisation but in this case you will be making a lot of effort if you end up driving halfway twice over a few days).

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 9:26pm
I pretty much agree with happymumma. I think that if I was in a similar situation and my DD hadn't seen her Dad for a while and then he wanted to take her for the weekend to an environment that she wasn't used to she wouldn't cope very well. My DD suffers separation anxiety and doesn't travel very well either so that may be something to think about - its a lot of traveling for a small person for what is basically a weekend away, effectively 8-10 hours of travel and a weekend with a bunch of people he doesn't know in an environment thats not familiar. I know some kids would cope ok with that but mine wouldn't - would Cody?

Also, I get where you are coming from with how he might not see Cody much if at all for the next year but like happymumma said if he's not going to make the effort for the next year then shouldn't he be making the effort now? And if Cody is that important to him then why wouldn't he at least make some effort over the next year to see him. In a year's time Cody will have totally forgotten who he is. Napier isn't the end of the earth after all.

Sorry if I've said stuff that upset you - just ignore me if I have. I know this stuff is difficult, I have the same dilemas about trying to put my own feelings aside and work out what is best for my DD.
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2010 at 10:11am
yeah I am worried that Cody will forget him. Exs brain works a bit differently to normal I think and he doesn't think things through proberly. This job he is taking isn't his best option and he may not get paid reguarly but he is taking it any way. Men!

We have only been up in auckland for a month so Cody should still remember his old home and exs family. I think it will be good for him to see all that side of the family so will proberly take him down. Though it will also mean that I get back to auckland right in the middle of rush hour But oh well, at least I will get a child free weekend and it''ll do the ex good to look after his son for a few days, he won't know what hit him and then maybe he will understand why I was always tired at the end of the day.   Though he better not palm him off on his family so that he can go and do something "ímportant" with his mates.
Btassh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Btassh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 11:00pm
Hi everyone!! I'm Tash, just found this thread..I have little Rubie have been a solo mum before she was born

sorry for my novel of a story

My ex and i got together through mutal friends when i was living in Nelson, I never really like him but had just went through a really bad break up so i thought if i got into a realtionship with someone i didn't like i wouldn't end up getting hurt again...bad mistake!!
Anways about 3 weeks into our relationship i moved in with him as my old flatmates started doing drugs didnt wanna be around it...anyways found out i was preg at 6 weeks. Througout the preg we founght heaps he went to counselling for anger mangement then i had enough kicked him out. However we were still trying to make things work.
He drove me to Picton the day before i moved back to auckland and decided he wanted to come with me so we drove all the way back to nelson to get his things...we went to a strange house i never knew he was living at, he came out with his things and a handprint on his face and told me i wasnt allowed to get out of th car...was all very strange.
We moved to auckland, one night i was snooping through his phone and found out he had been dating a girl, and started living with her the week after i kicked him out and was still texting and calling her so i told him to leave and he went back to nelson to her.

He came to every appointment in when i was in nelson and wanted to come to the birth but i refused. I didn't really hear from him when he moved back to nelson. He didn't know Rubie was born until she was 2 weeks old only because i asked if he wanted to know about it all. He has seen her 2 times in 5 months. 1st time because i took her to nelson where his gf's children were calling her their sister!!!! and 2 weeks ago he came to auckland for the weekend. he wants to be a big part of her life yet doesn't want to travel to auckland more than twice a year or pay for her other than child support -because 12 a week covers everything she needs!!

I couldn't imagine sharing Rubie with him, i feel sick everytime i see him and he has no idea what to do with hiim - he is rather strange, very intelligent but doesnt have any people skills
Btassh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Btassh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 11:00pm
he was very controlling physcially and emotionally.

sorry for the novel!!!
mizpix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizpix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 4:04pm
hi ladies
Reading your stories makes me feel thankful that my situation is nowhere near as bad as what you have to put up with.
I am a single mum. Me and A's dad broke up when I was 6 months pregnant. We had only been together 3 months when I got pregnant. He knew I wanted a baby and that we were not taking precautions, and told everyone that we were together for the long term.
I have always had problems with depression, but did not admit to it. A's dad kept getting annoyed at me because I couldnt communicate my feelings to him adn said I was just being difficul. This got worse once I was pregnant. He refused to go and meet my parents and tell them about the pregnancy, so I had to go alone, and my mum was really septic about it. This really made my depression bad.
Things gradually got worse, between us and eventually he told me he didnt want to see me any more. He said he would be there to support me and our child though and that family was very important to him.
At the point we split, I had a big melt down and finally got help for my depression. I am much better now. I have even been to him and talked about it, but he just doesnt understand and thinks it is a load of sh*t.
He came to A's birth but was on the phone the whole time and in and ouof the delivery room, and was absolutely no help. For the first couple of weeks he rang most days and visited a couple of times a week. This has tailed off and I havent seen or heard from him in over a month. He has put his name on the birth certificate. He is broke and so cannot help with money. I dont mind so much as I have a good income, but I always said I wanted him to be part of A's life and he cant even do that. I have been back at work full time for 6 weeks now and miss spending time with my wee boy.
While I do have an income, I have a huge mortgage and so little money left over, but we manage OK. I dont have a proper house cause I cant afford to build one on my land and so A and I are living in a converted garage. There is only one room and it's really difficult like this with a baby. I dont know how it's going to be when hes bigger. I cant see things changing for a few years at least.

I really love being a mum and would love more children if I ever find another partner. I dont know what chance of that though as I dont imagine ever being able to get out and socialise and who would want to take on me plus a child.

Still I would not have it any other way. I love my baby more than anything
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>