FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow did you tell your parents?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Worried1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Worried1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did you tell your parents?
    Posted: 06 August 2010 at 4:12pm
I'm 28 and 8 wks pregnant with my first child. I was never with the father and was seeing him for a few months...i'm still seeing him but know its going no where. He has known for 3 wks the same amount of time as i and always said he would support my decision. Last night i told him if the scan came bk with the baby being healthy i was going to keep it. He now is rethinking his support. (i had a scan 8 days ago but fetal pole could not been seen) and i guess he thought i would not keep it as he told me he was not ready.

Anyway i have known all along if i go thru with this i would be alone. My parents are going to be devastated and disappointed in me i am worried about telling them (if the scan is ok).

How did you guys tell your parents you were pregnant and were going to be a solo mother?

Sponsored Links

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 8:14pm

Hi Worried1.  I'm afraid I don't really have any advice for you - I became a single mum after my two children were born so the issues around breaking information were more about the end of a relationship rather than the birth of a baby.

I do think that being honest is the best (even if sometimes the most scary) option.  Maybe your parents will surprise you?  And regardless, I think that as long as you know you are making the right decision for you, then you are doing the right thing.

Good luck - I really hope someone else has some ideas for you.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 4:39pm
Like Kate I broke up with my ex after my children were born but I did have to tell them I was pregnant at a young age (19) which I knew they wouldn't take too well. I got my sister to tell them and gave them some time and space to work through their feelings and then we all had a big talk and moved on from there. So my advice would be to tell them understand that they will be shocked so give them time to get over it. My parents were fantastic once they had their head around it. Good luck with it, they might surprise you.
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 6:34pm
I agree with the others, in that the best way is just to tell them straight out. Or if you find it hard saying what you want to say you could always write them a letter.

I was scared of telling my parents both times and I was in a stable relationship, not that it lasted.
Worried1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Worried1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 9:54pm
Thanks for the advice...i've been throwing up options and prob the one that would work for our family i think is i just ring pending on the success of the scan and tell mum and let her break it to dad and then hope he don't have a heart attack! And go bk and face the music in the wknd. Be a big weight off my shoulders i hope.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 10:19pm
I'm suprised you are so worried about what your parents think when you are 28, i'm wondering if you mistyped your age?

I think it will help if you can tell them how you feel about it that way they will know you have thought it all through. Maybe say something like "It wasn't planned but I'm pregnant, I've had a scan and all looks good with baby, "x" knows but is undecided where he stands on supporting me, however I'm happy with being pregnant and am looking forward to having a baby even if it does mean doing it on my own"
Really they can't say much but congrats after that.
Btassh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Btassh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 11:04pm
I was with Rubie's father the time when i told my parents but knew i was going to be in it alone from when i moved.

I was soooooo scared to tell my parents, they always told me they'd disown me if i had a baby before i was 25. I told my mum over the phone and i did not get th reaction i thought i would at all. She was really calm and nice. and now Rubie is here she loves her to pieces!!

Over the phone is a good way to tell them - if they do get grumpy you can always hang up and givem them some space to get their head around it and then talk to them again

hope that helps
mizpix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizpix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 1:33pm
Hi
I am a single mum now, me and my baby;s father split when I was 6 months preg. I was with him when I told my parents I was pregnant, but my mum was really septic about me being pregnant as I had only been with baby's dad for 3 months when I got pregnant. My dad was happy for me though even though the situation was not ideal.
At teh time, my mum said lots of really nasty things about me and my baby and didnt want any thing to do with it, thankfully Dad was lovely.
Mum gradually came round during my pregnancy and by the time he was born was being civil.
Now she loves her grandson to bits, and is nothing but lovely to him. She rings every couple of days to ask after him. She still makes a few snide remarks to me about being a single mum, but over all things are ok.

The day I told mum was the hardest thing I have had to do and I felt awful, but I got it over and done with and then moved on. The worrying about it before hand was almost as bad, so I say just get on and do it! I told my parents in person, I couldnt have done it over the phone.
Oh and by the way I'm 36, and am financially stable etc but still what my parents thought was very important to me!
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 5:37am
My mom was furious at first - disappointed mainly, that i'd never get to do all the things i'd planned.

Now (at 18wks) she's got her head around it and calls each night with a list of names she's thought about. Oh, and she turned a room of the house into a nursary, asked if i'd like to move home and is working overtime to get time off when baby is born to help me.

So, in the end it worked out well - but the first few months were hateful.
rachaels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 8:58am
My Mum was the first person I told - I called her crying from the doctor's room. She could hardly talk to me, I think she was very disappointed because at 22 there was a lot more I could have done with my life.

In saying that, by the time I got home that day, she had obviously decided her feelings weren't going to matter right now and to put them aside for the time being because I got a big hug and a 'I will support you whatever you decide'.

Now she has successfully completed an antenatal course with me and we're preparing for labour - she will be cutting the cord for her grandson and she couldn't be more proud She goes out to buy things for him even when I tell her not to and he's basically her main conversation piece with all her friends
julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 9:35am
Rachels- My mum was the same with me , i told her the moment i found out ( at 23 mum also wanted more for me ) but she sucked it up and supported me through it , She was there when Amelia was born and she cut the cord , she said she had never been so proud of me as she was that day .
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:24am
I was 25 and engaged when I fell pregnant, and didn't tell mum for a wee while because of what her reaction was going to be. Sure enough, she reacted pretty badly, then we found out that it was twins and she slowly started to come around. By the time the girls arrived, she was my support person in theatre with me, and now she can't get enough of them. It's awesome, especially now, as I have recently become a single mum and she is happy to have them if I have an appointment or need to do supermarket shopping. She has come over to help me bath them as well (seriously, 2 wriggly girls in a bath can be hard work!!!).

Sometimes our parents can surprise us My dad dotes on the girls as well.
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:15pm
My mum loves her grandkids to pieces. And even though I am now a single mother it doesn't matter to her. At least this way I am now in the same city as her and she can see Cody whenever she wants and I am really glad that she gets to come to my scans this time round.
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 11:41am
I got pregnant with my daughter at 19 . To a guy Id been dating for , ooh, one night (pretty sure I concieved her the first night we went out *blush* )

I told my mum when I was 7 weeks....her only reaction was "yeah right " , which resulted in me getting really mad and showing her the positive pregnancy test .
My dad picked me up from work a week later and said "what are you going to do about little Kayla or Ethan ?" (what Caitlyn was going to be called ) and I said "im going to keep it "
he replied "good, thats what I was hoping you would do ,and we will be here every step of the way " ....and they have been , apart from my DH , (not C's bio dad , we split up when I was 7 weeks preg) my greatest support, they adore their grandkids and have an extra soft spot for C.

..The only ones who gave me trouble were my uncle, but meh , don't care about him anyway , and my grandmother, but she made it easy for me by not talking to me for 9 months ...now she , like everyone , adores Caitlyn .

So you never know, your parents may be absolutely fine, and the fact that your 28 ,well if they want to be silly about it ,you're a grown woman , really what you do, is entirely your choice .

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 11:46am
Also, I was talking to my friend's mum the other day about how she felt when my friend, her daughter told her she was pregnant at 23.
She said my friend looked white as a ghost telling her haha, and that when she had finally spat it out ,she just hugged her and said thats fabulous
my friend said "oh , I thought you would be really mad!"
"mad about having getting a grandchild ? there are worse things that can happen "

...her mum knows it too, 3 weeks after her baby was born, her daughter, my beautiful friend, died suddenly and unexpectedly of a bloodclot .

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 10:16pm
I was 25 and married when I fell pregnant, I was lucky to have the support of my parents they were great.

Now I am a single mum and hating it. Been seperated since January after nearly 7 years together.

My advice would be to just tell them when you are ready, you are 28 and old enough to make your decisions. (Im 27 and going back to uni with a toddler eekkk)

Good luck with everything.
Manda23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manda23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 9:32pm
I was in the exact same position. I told my parents and they were thrilled, I never would have expected them to be. I hope they support your decision, best of luck :)
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 2:25pm
I was 19 and although I had been with DP 2.5 years my family didn't overly like dp and thought I would be a single mum so were trying best to prepare me, however DP has stuck around and continues to stick around.

I suppose it depends on the age of your parents too or what sort of up bringing they have had too iygwim... My grandma was shocked that I had managed to get myself pregnant unmarried at 19 when sex before marriage was such a big 'no no' however she was excited about getting a great grandchild. My grandfather went 'oh sh*t' and that was it.

My mum said she'd stick by me because it was her job to do that and while she was worried for me and my future she would stick by me no matter what.

I had a friend who got preg young and her parents kicked her out...

I hope your parents have been supportive!
 Post Reply Post Reply