FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLets get debating :insert evil grin here:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 11:37pm
Double post

Edited by TheKelly

Sponsored Links

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Babykatnz Babykatnz wrote:

um... wow...

and I CBA saying anything else in response

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 12:00am
Wow I haven't put mine up yet because I'm too "busy" doing my assignment (trying to make it stretch hehe) I will be back however.

And I aim to be THE most controversial... well not really but maybe someone needs to be just for fun!

I'm with you too tho BK on the vaccine thing but with various other reasons thrown in.

Back tomorrow

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 12:03am
Smacking
I think smacking has it's place but as an everyday form of punishment then I dont think it's acceptable. I was smacked as a child and whenever I was smacked it was for a bleatin good reason.

Circumcision
After doing research on it I find it suprising that people still want to do this to their children. I'm of the opinion that if the boy wants it done then that's his choice once he turns 18 and can make the decision for himself. I'd rather not take that decision out of his hands unless there is a very good medical reason.
I dont think it looks tidier at all or cleaner and I know from my side of a couple I prefer an uncircumcised penis.
From what I've heard the HIV/circumcision thing is based on some iffy research and as such some men in Africa are getting circumcised so they dont have to use condoms anymore which to me is a very scary thing as this will most likely INCREASE the HIV rates.

BFing v FFing
I tried to avoid the other thread because I didnt really know how to put my opinion into words but I'll do my best here lol.
As long as the child is being fed then that's the important thing. Yes, I do think breastmilk is the best milk and I would like to breastfeed for as long as possible. If I'm not able then I am glad there are alternatives that I can use.
I'm also the kind of person who would advocate for a BreastMilk Bank and would contribute if I could. I'm also one who would be eager to wet nurse for someone if they wished it. Yeah, I'm a weirdo lol.

Vaginal birth v Elective c-sect
I have some pretty strong views on this from research that I have done and I think that unless there is a very good medical reason then a vaginal birth is the way to go. I was quite genuinely horrified when I found out that the NZ cesarean rate is approaching 30% when the WHO reccommends that the rate be no higher than 10% to 15%. I think higher intervention rates and the misdiagnosis of certain conditions have their contribution to this.
For me, I'm aiming for a vaginal birth and ideally I'd want a home birth but due to medical reasons (damnitt) this isn't an option for me

When to start solids
Well all I currently have to go on are the reccomendations but I do know that not every child will fit with those reccomendations. I think it's up to the parents to decide when their child is ready whether that be at 4 months or 8 months.

Homemade solids v Storebrought solids
I think home made would be better as you know exactly what is going into it and it's also cheaper. At this point I'm planning to make my own baby food where I can with minimal use of store purchased.

BLW v Pureed food
I guess it depends on the child and the parents and how they feel best to feed their child. At this point I'm looking at doing a mix.

Vaccination v Non-vaccination
I'm still researching this so reserve judgement.

Routine v Non-routine
I barely have a routine for myself but I would prefer to have at least some semblance of routine with my child even if that be a set bedtime and pre-bed ritual to go through.

CIO/CC v Not (coz I can't think of what that'd be called)
Cant really give my opinion until I have experienced this but I think they both have their place.

Cloth nappies v Disposables
I guess whatever works for you. I'm planning on using cloth but you know what they say about good intentions lol I'm not opposed to using sposies but I think that because greener options are avaliable I will make use of them. I seriously dont like the thought of icky pooey nappies going into landfills and i'm the strange sort of person who actually ENJOYS doing laundry lol. I'm also looking at making my own nappies and covers.

Lol so yeah, I'm a hippy in goth clothing.

Edited by lil_lease
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 12:16am
Haha, can of worms??

Smacking
It has its place. Im all for a tap on the hand when and where appropriate in the right context or situation.

Circumcision
Nope - Not here

BFing v FFing
Breast but FF has its place too.

VB except for medical reasons

When to start solids
Not before 6 months

Homemade all the way

BLW v Pureed food
BLW

I do research when I need more information and we Vax here.

Routine v Non-routine
Both

Hmm yep for CC in the right situation and after about 8/9 months old. Not before.

Both
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 6:57am
Smacking
Funny, I was against it until I had a toddler, We don't use it much, and I don't see my self using it when he is old enough to understand time out and naughty chairs, there are much better ways of dicipling, and I don't get parents who say, stop hitting, whack either.

Circumcision
Go for it if you want, it does seem to be more hygenic, I wouldn't do it.

BFing v FFing
Whatever, if you want to be arsed doing all those bottles and sterilising and pay for formula you go right ahead. Though you can't deny that breastfood is always the most nutritionaly best for any baby.

VB, A girl a work is "too posh to push" I think she's just scared. After having an emergency c and a VB the recovery from a VB is a million times better

When to start solids
When you want to, I met a woman who gave her kids weetbix from 3mo and I don't think they grew any extra heads.

When to start solids
Homemade is wayyy cheaper and nicer

BLW v Pureed food
I love both

This is the point I got really annoyed about, because I know plenty of people who fully research Vaccinating before they choose to get their kids done, yes many people do it because they are told to, and thats crazy, but we choose to do a lot of things in life without fully researching (look at what we eat without asking what is in it).
On the other side I have met a lot of people who don't immunise, and they do it out of complete ignorance, I have heard, "I just couldn't be bothered", "we don't have those diseases anymore", and "I didn't want to hurt the baby".
There is a reason we don't have those diseases anymore, and I would be way too worried about the amount of immigrants that are coming from countries that do have still have these diseases to not immunise,

Routine vs Non-Routine
I would like to routine, but I find it way to stressful to try to implement, being that I don't really have a routine to my day. Do what works for you.   However we do have a bedtime routine, I guess, my boys don't just stay up all hours of the night.

CIO/CC vs not
I don't know how people can do the other, my boys would cry my arms as young babies despite anything I did so I would have to leave them to CC. I think that CIO really doesn't work until they are 8 months old or so. In saying all that I do think people that try to sleep train under 6 weeks old are mean and a little crazy ( newborn cuddles are the best)

Cloth nappies vs Disposables
I like cloth, but sometimes I have to use dispoables when I can't cope.
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:21am
No time to weigh in on everything, but I've found the circumcision stuff interesting, since we had a little boy! (I wanted to post a thread, but didn't want it to become a nasty debate, so didn't bother).

I am swayed by the research re HIV, and do reckon it's cleaner (my cousin is an ambulance officer, and said he never reckoned circumcision was a good idea until he saw some dirty old men and now he'd get it done if he had a son).

At the same time, we decided against. I didn't think the reduction of risk for HIV was enough to get it done in itself, and I figure we can teach him to keep things clean down there and if he doesn't later on that's his business. I wasn't keen on hurting the wee lad, and also assume that most little boys his age won't be so didn't want him to look 'different' in the loos at school. Also, you can hardly go back on that decision, whereas if he decides later in life he wants to be circumcised he can change that.

I have no issue with people who do it for religeous reasons (Jewish people etc). On the other hand, I'm Christian, know other Christians who've had it done for religeous reasons, and can't find anything at all to convince me it's necessary for that reason. (Female circumcision is another matter - I'm against it no matter what, because it actually interfears with the use of your girl bits in a way that male circumcision really doesn't).

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:31am
Smacking - I'm completely against smacking... I don't ever see it as necessary and think there are far more effective and relevant ways to discipline a child.

Circumcision - nope wouldn't do it if I had a boy - unnecessary IMO...

BFing vs FFing - For me, I BF... for others, great if they're gonna give BFing a go, as we all know it's nutritionally the best start... but if you wanna FF it's your business...

VB vs CC - I don't care what others do... I would prefer VB (and have had 2) but if necessary would have a CS... If for whatever reason someone else chooses elective CS I really don't care it's their recovery not mine...

Solids - when ready... I will leave as long as poss this time as life is so much simplier just BFing...

BLW vs Puree - need to look into BLW - with my others I did puree...

Vacinnation vs non - Both my kids are fully vaccinated and I researched it and decided it was the best decision - it's a bit unfair to say cos someone comes to the decision to vac they are lazy as lots of us do research it! I agree with Flissty there is a reason these these dieases are no longer around... Also with regards to the "CBAed" comments - if someone really can't be bothered reading all the research themselves, I would think the safest/best option would be to follow the advice of the health professionals - which is the case in this situation

Routine or not - we have always been pretty flexible in our routine and it works for us....

CC, CIO or not - I have never done CIO, CC with my girls and don't really like the concept...

Cloth vs disposables - we mainly used disposables but used cloth about 30% of the time... will try to use more cloth this time but we'll see
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:51am

Is it even worth me putting my answers down here cos I'm pretty sure you'll all know already lol, but heres goes...

Smacking
I'm against it...in theory. Very much so. In practise, in the heat of the momont with a naughty toddler it's a different story. I try very hard not to even slap a hand but life gets in the way sometimes....  

Circumcision 
Um no. It might look better when they're adults lol but the procedure is cruel and uneccesary IMO. 

BFing v FFing
Um gee whaddya reckon?  BF if you can, and for as long as you can. Formula has it's place but nothing beats BM.

VB if you can, c-sections have their place in emergencies though for sure. I'm not so hung up on this cos is there really that many people around who CBA pushing?

When to start solids
When baby is showing physical signs of readiness! From 4.5 months or so I guess. We started at about then or maybe 5 months. Homemade if you have time is best IMO but store bought also fine.

BLW v Pureed food
I love both and we use both.

This was one of the hardest decisions for me to make as a Mama but I think I made the right one- not vaccinate. I'm not anti vax though, just wish people on both sides of the fence would research first instead of blindly believing what we're told. There's mega bucks involved in vaxxing so that makes me sus from the start.   But yeah nothing worse than someone from either camp who CBA doing their own investigating.

Routine vs Non-Routine
I'm a rountine-ish kind of Mama but the first few months it's baby on demand all the time...then a gentle introduction to routines etc. Makes life for everyone easier and prepares baby for the realities of the world and tiem keeping etc. 

CIO/CC vs not 
Absolutely not under any circumstances do we do either. There's been a few times when in utter desperation at our 'poor sleeper' we have left her for a few minutes but it's broken my heart.  Babies cry cos they need something. Sometimes 'all' they need is YOU. Which may not be a good enough reason for us when we're tired but IS a good enough reason for them. IMO.

Cloth nappies vs Disposables
CLOTH. Unless you're in some kind of sire situation then yuck sposies are full of all sorts of sh*t (scuse the pun).  When we've HAD to use sposies (like recently at night for a week or so as I went through all the cloth naps and Canestan-ed them to try and get rid of Clodagh's persistent rash)...we use eco sposies, which are probably not much better for the environment but I delude are slightly better for her than Huggies or whatever.

Oh and we left off Vegetarian vs Meat (just to increase the wind up factor lol)

VEGETARIAN

My work here is done. Now I will go hide in a corner and wait for the backlash

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:55am
Seems vaxing is the most fiery topic on here. Vaccinations have their place and when DS1 stepped on a rusty nail when we were taking the old chicken coop apart we took him straight to the doctor and got his tetanus done because we both believe that vaxing is entirely appropriate in situations like that.
I don't agree that the drop in those diseases is down to vaccinations alone, we have better hygiene, better living situations, clean water, a better diet. All those things contribute to a healthier immune system. I've personally known a couple of children who have had an instant and dreadful reaction to their vaccinations and I've heard from a few doctors that it is very possible that children have more of a reaction to vaxing than is recorded as its not the 'done thing' to pursue any links between a child whos showing unwellness and their recent vaccinations. I have also seen in my research that many doctors do suspect that there are more reactions to the vaxing than is healthy (for lack of a better word) however due to lack of time, lack of support from the medical 'bosses' and the fact that often their income is made up in part from their support of drug companies and the like, nobody looks into it.

I'm not arguing with anybody I'm just sharing a few things I've come across.
Otherwise this is cool - its staying pretty friendly and like someone else said people can share their POV and reasons without it getting ridiculous
myonlineself View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myonlineself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:59am
Just wanted to have my say, then I'll go back and re-read everyone else's!
Smacking
I think a smack has its place, but shouldn't be used in anger, and shouldn't be the main form of discipline.

Circumcision
I think its cruel and outdated.

BFing v FFing
Breast is best and I think its sad when people don't even try and its a shame when people give up early due to lack of support (when they wanted to keep going but felt they couldn't). FF definitely has its place.

The thought of a c-section totally scares the crap out of me.

When to start solids
I don't understand why you would chose to introduce solids prior to 6 months. If your baby is hungry its not like a bit of pureed carrot or something is going to fill them up more than milk....

Homemade is best, but I use storebought fruit....

BLW v Pureed food
BLW rocks

At the risk of causing a backlash, I think non-vaccination is irresponsible and people who pedal anti-vaccination scare mongering stories should be shot. (and yes, I am very well informed on the topic).   

Routine v Non-routine
Not in the early months....

To quote a previous poster: No CIO/CC til after 9 months but limited use is best, if you can avoid it altogether then thats even better. Screaming it out is not acceptable unless a break is really really needed. - I agree completely

I love cloth nappies. But don't really care what anyone else uses.

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Emmecat Emmecat wrote:

Oh and we left off Vegetarian vs Meat (just to increase the wind up factor lol)

VEGETARIAN

My work here is done. Now I will go hide in a corner and wait for the backlash

You cruel and unusual parent you! How can you sleep at nght knowing you're deprivng your children of MEAT!!!!! Hide in that corner lady coz all the cows are coming to trample you!!

Joking Hahahaha....

I think meat has its place and in fact I'm a big fan but other than bacon on occasion I don't eat pork! Do you know it doesn't actually digest? It rots in your stomach/intestines and gets passed that way
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Babykatnz Babykatnz wrote:

um... wow...

and I CBA saying anything else in response

good on you - i wouldnt dignify it with a response either.

Re circumcision and the WHO guidelines, this is what i got from their site:

WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalence. Male circumcision provides only partial protection, and therefore should be only one element of a comprehensive HIV prevention package which includes:

the provision of HIV testing and counseling services;
    treatment for sexually transmitted infections;
    the promotion of safer sex practices;
    the provision of male and female condoms and promotion of their correct and consistent use.

This to me would indicate it would certainly not be something i would need to look into for my boys and it certainly isnt conclusive that circumcision would prevent aids in homosexual males. I cant help but wonder too that if part of the random trials education was also a part of it and that itself may have been why the rates dropped.

JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:03am
This is an interesting topic!

Smacking - No, although the threat of a smack on the butt from Dad was enough to pull me into line as a child.

Circumcision - No, it's mutilation.

BFing vs FFing - If you can BF, go for it. I was lucky to be able to BF. DS slept through the night for first time at 8 months after he was fully weaned from me and FF. Big ups for FF there.

VB vs CS - None of my business really. Most CS women don't get the choice. Anyone who is to posh to push though, how could you readily choose major abdominal surgery... ouch. The vagina is designed for childbirth.

Solids - Between 4-6 months, when the baby is hungry - and you will know! So much easier just BF/FFing for at least 6 months though.

Storebought vs Homemade solids - I had a freezer full of lovingly prepared fruit and veg and DS would not have a bar of it. The only thing he liked was store bought pumpkin jars and the fruit custards.

BLW vs Puree - Not sure, I think DS would have been better at BLW than puree but he's ok now. I put his fussiness down to not having teeth.

Vaccination vs non - Yes. I'm in the 'fully vaccinated and I'm ok' party. I believe in herd immunity and as far as research goes, I have a uni background in human bio, so it was a non-starter. If my child died or was maimed from something that could have been prevented, I could not forgive myself.

Routine or not - Not into rigid routine but a semblance of something was useful for organising my day.

CC, CIO or not - CC was necessary for us when DS would be so overtired, it was the only way for him to sleep. I didn't like it but it worked and I had support from plunket, my MW in choosing to do so. Kathy Fray in OhBaby writes a good chapter on this.

Cloth vs disposables - disposables. I gave cloth a go and didn't like it.

Edited by JessDub

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Babe Babe wrote:

Do you know it doesn't actually digest? It rots in your stomach/intestines and gets passed that way

thats why i gave up meat - *sigh* that was years ago and sadly i am an unfit meat eater now!

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:07am
Originally posted by myonlineself myonlineself wrote:

When to start solids
I don't understand why you would chose to introduce solids prior to 6 months. If your baby is hungry its not like a bit of pureed carrot or something is going to fill them up more than milk....

I introduced solids at just under 3 months with Jake (on plunkets recommendation too) coz he was just so hungry, plus he was lunging at our food, and trying to put atuff in his mouth though he was totally unco. I gave him a mouthful and he rolled it around and ate it like a pro then promptly tried to grab the spoon. Tyler was somewhere between 3-4 months and he also was lunging for our food, pulling off the breast/bottle when we were eating and trying to persuade us to feed him. After a full BF and almost 750ml of formula and a still upset baby I offered him a banana (just held it up, whole) and he guzzled the whole thing.
I think different babies have different tummies. Both my boys were pretty chunky born and they both have always been big eaters, for all the fact they're super long and lean
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:09am
Oh and i agree too with the person who mentioned the poo in disposables.

I could never understand why anyone would want poo sitting in their bin! But i am shocked at the amount of people who dont even know they should flush the solid waste!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:23am
i'm anti-c-sections that are unecessary and this is why:

I was pregnant in Japan with jake and we went to an Obs - as you do. He was telling me that I would probably have to have a c-section as he wouldn't be delivering on the weekends, or after 10 at night. basically they let you labour until they decide it's getting too late (for them) and then whip you off to get cut open. It was this remark coupled with "you don't need pain relief, having a baby doesn't hurt - woman need to get tougher" that made me determined to come back to NZ to have Jake (and we did)

My blood pressure went through the roof - and it was only when I was at that doctors (i measured it at the gym and it was normal). And they tried to put me on a diet too, and told me I shouldn't be putting on any weight at all. They also put my 60kg gf (170cm tall) on a diet cause she was "too heavy" and had gained over 12 kgs in the pregnancy. the diet started in her thrid trimester.

As a first time mum, it was terrifying to hear all the "control" I thought I had been taken away. Thank God for Jo Henwood - my midwife, who took me on overseas and then emailed me all the time dismissing my obs claims as "dumb",
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Babe Babe wrote:

I think meat has its place and in fact I'm a big fan but other than bacon on occasion I don't eat pork! Do you know it doesn't actually digest? It rots in your stomach/intestines and gets passed that way

Um eeww!!! Would that be why whenever I have pork it gives me terrible wind and guts ache?? SO not eating that ever again lol!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:34am
Sheza its not just pork - all meat is digested that way. Originally man (as in the species) were vegetarians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>