FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLets get debating :insert evil grin here:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets get debating :insert evil grin here:
    Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:33pm
Smacking
I believe that spanking is one of many perfectly acceptable forms of discipline and I use it as I see fit with my children. I am of the GENERAL OPINION that parents who don't give their children boundaries and thereafter consequences that make their children reassess ever crossing those boundaries again are setting themselves and their poor kids up for failure! I also think that its idiot parents like that (that being no boundaries and no consequences) who have created the generation and a half of disrespectful, disobedient, horrible little thugs!

Circumcision
I have two uncircumcised boys but thats just coz I couldn't find anybody to do the deed! I think circumcision is tidier and cleaner and nope I don't give two hoots about anyone who tries to stuff research in my face I'm quite decided that its the better option!

BFing v FFing
BreastMILK is totally the best but breastfeeding isn't always best especially when the poor mama is being affected negatively. I have FF and BF'd and would always try BFing first. Not going to go much into this coz of our other dramatic thread...

Vaginal birth v Elective c-sect
I don't know how this affects NZ but I think the women who choose a c-sect over atleast trying a vaginal birth are weird and TBH I wonder why the heck they got preggers in the first place! I'm totally not referring to anybody who required a c-sect for medical reasons so don't get all huffy coz I'll turn the hose on you. I had vaginal births with both my boys and the idea of getting sliced open gives me the bleeding heebiejeebies!!!! Why would you actually CHOOSE to do that to yourself if you didn't actually have to?? That BTW is a rhetorical question and if you are reading this and you did actually choose to have a c-sect for no medical reason then I'd love to hear your reasonings, not to argue but just coz I can't fathom why you'd make that choice

When to start solids
Well both my boys started early and they both eat pretty much what we eat (be warned - beans actually don't get digested they arrive whole at the other end...) and I really don't care if anyone has a problem with that.

Homemade solids v Storebrought solids
Homemade is always better IMO but then I'm an au naturale girl myself. If you want to feed your baby up on processed crap then be my guest

BLW v Pureed food
Well both mine needed fairly pureed since they were pretty small but never really pureed and now Tys older he gets given lumps and bumps of dinner to hold and chew. I probably more of a BLW but either way I don't really care as long as they get full!

Vaccination v Non-vaccination
We are a non-vaxing household and thats the way we like it. I think non-vaxers make a much more informed decision coz we're the ones who have to defend our decisions so we actually get right in there and find out all the gory details. Pro-vaxers just accept what they've been told and jab their kids. I don't actually care what anyone else does and I certainly wouldn't accuse an pro-vaxer of being a bad parent but I would get my claws out if anyone tried suggesting I was being a bad parent for not vaxing. I know EXACTLY why I don't vaccinate - do you know why you DO vaccinate?? And I mean other than the trite about it being the 'safest' choice??

And I thought of another couple -
Routine v Non-routine
I think routines are better for baby and mama and I don't understand how anyone can function not knowing when their child will next wake or want to feed or anything Its actually been proven in studies throughout the years that a flexi-routine makes for a more satisfied child and I could find the links to back that up but I'm too lazy. I love having a fairly good idea of how our day is going to run, when Tylers going to need a sleep, when Jake is going to need either a sleep or downtime, etc. Not knowing would make my head explode I like knowng that Tyler isn't crying coz hes hungry coz he just had a full feed coz he doesn't snack thanks to our routine. Its a known fact that children thrive on knowing how their day is going to go and having some semblence of structure and I'm stunned by parents who approach the whoile thing being completely gung-ho and doing what suits them regardless of what it does to their child! LOL bet thats gonna get some reactions

CIO/CC v Not (coz I can't think of what that'd be called)
I think CIO/CC definitely has its place. I let Jake 'CIO' at like 1 week old when he decided he wanted to get up at midnight and astay awake having cuddles with mummy til 3am. After one night doing that I put my foot down and the baby back into bed after his feed. I went back to bed and lay there wondering what I was sposed to do if he didn't go back to sleep lol luckily he was asleep less than 8 minutes later and he never woke at midnight to play til he was like 9mo then I did it again but it definitely was harder then but hey still ended up working I don't think its the only way to go though.

Urrrm and there was another one but I've had a blank and Castle has started so I'm gonna go watch that and sneak back here during the ads to see what happens
Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:36pm
Aha - Cloth nappies v Disposables
Why on earth would you put chemical laden yucky next to poor babies botty?? Did you know that theres a chemical that caused bad stuff and it was removed from tampons but wasn't required to be removed from nappies plus cloth is soooo much cuter and once you've brought them they're cheaper and makes you carbon footprint thingee so much smaller
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:37pm
Hell no, no comment
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:41pm
LMAO. Brilliant. Totally disagree with you on a couple of things but hey each to their own

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:42pm
But WOOHOO on the vaxxing comment! hehehe *runs and ducks for cover*

newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:47pm
Nice work! This will be a heated debate.

Smacking
I was anti-smacking, but have to admit that I have smacked DS lightly on his bum on a couple of occasions when nothing else would work. And it did the trick.

Circumcision
NO WAY, evil, cruel, very risky - infection and death!

BFing v FFing
Breastmilk.

vaginal birth except for medical reasons (and no, being really afraid is not a medical reason - get over it).

When to start solids
depends on baby - not before 4 months.

Homemade

BLW v Pureed food
No opinion

Do your research. I partially vaccinated. I think non-vaccination is irresponsible. Not just for the good of your child, but for society as a whole.

Routine v Non-routine
Routine

Do not believe in CIO. unnecessary and cruel.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:49pm

ooohhh Hila *like*  (um except for the comment about non vaxxing being irresponsible...that was crap lol)

edited to add- what did you partially vax for? Cos I tried for months to get one seperately and couldn't )

Edited by Emmecat

BeLoved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeLoved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:02pm
My only comment at this moment in time (because I am too tired and grumpy to fully reply) is its cool too see that there are things that I agree with and also disagree with just in one persons post, just goes to show how different yet the same we all are, and how boring the world would be if we all agreed
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:03pm
Ok, I'll say a few things

Smacking
I dont have a problem wih a tap on the bum or hand

Circumcision
Nope

BFing v FFing
I am pro both, whatever is best for your situation etc

Im a C Section mama, first was an emergency after a damn good go at having naturally! Second was an elective. After having two CS, i dont know why anyone would want to have one when they could birth vaginally, getting cut open and having layers and layers stitched back up is major surgery and it hurt like f*ck afterwards!!!!!

When to start solids
4-6 months, depending on the baby, but as close to 6 months as possible.

I used both

BLW v Pureed food
ehh No opinion

I vaccinate my kids, and thats all I'll say on that as its a touchy subject.

Routine v Non-routine
semi routine, I have just followed my kids cues, but we have always had a bedtime routine to help them settle etc

CC/CIO
I do controlled crying, I have left them to cry a few times when I have been totally over it and exhausted and needed 5 mins to calm down and get my sh*t sorted. It IS ok to let them cry for a bit when you need to calm down!!!!!!
I had a baby with bad reflux and some nights she did my head in, and it made me realise how some parents can shake their babys, its just knowing when to walk away and calm down, and thats when letting them cry for a bit while you do that is OK!

Edited by Sheza
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:04pm
My turn!!!

Smacking
I'm with Bridie, I think smacking has it's place. It needs to be done in context though, and not just cos. I also don't think it should be the first option.

Circumcision
Don't care, cos I have girls at the moment!!

BFing v FFing
Breast milk is best yep, but BFing isn't for everyone. FFing, IMO, is perfectly fine - the point at the end of the day is that bubs is fed. Amber has had one full BF (40ml - woohoo!!!) and Jade has had none, but they had colostrum and breast milk until 10 weeks old. I DO think that, if possible, new mums should do what they can to ensure bubs has colostrum, if it is possible (I expressed mine).

I had an emergency c-s with the girls, and quite frankly I don't really mind if I have to have another one. I had no problems afterwards though, the only issue that I had throughout was letting me labour for so long whilst knowing from the start that it was to no avail cos Jade was bum down so I wasn't allowed a VB. I'm going to try a VB next time, but I'm not going to be disappointed if I have to have another CS. My scar has almost disappeared as well

When to start solids
I think the girls started at about 5 months - again, such an individual choice, if they're ready then they're ready!!

Yep, homemade is better, but I'm lazy so they get a mix I like that I know there is a certain amount of iron in the storebought ones, I get kind of lost figuring out what to make them usually so stick to veges...

BLW v Pureed food
Girls were semi BLW - they had finger foods at lunch, and purees for breakfast and sometimes tea. Like Bridie, who cares as long as they're full!!

I'm a vaccinating parent, and my only reason is cos I would probably rather have the day or two of grizzling than the weeks of sickness or resultant death. Have I looked into it? Nope, but I'm one of those "it never hurt me" types.

Routine v Non-routine
I don't understand how anyone can NOT have a routine. My routine is my lifeline, although it is semi flexible - I don't wake them up just cos it's lunchtime, or breakfast time. Without this routine, I would never be able to plan trips out and the girls would probably be the rulers of the roost!!

Again, like Bridie, I think CIO/CC definitely has its place. The girls have had CIO once or twice when they were younger - don't even remember why!! As long as bubs is happy, fed, warm, clean and had some cuddles then tough bickies, it's bed time.

Cloth nappies vs sposies
I'm an evil sposie mum I had the best of intentions and have about 40 nappies here which I really need to sell!!! But quite frankly, with everything else I needed to do with twins, plus being back at work, the idea of MORE washing and scraping some of those poops gives me the heebie jeebies (especially when multiplied by 2). I may very well actually try it next time (if there is a next time), provided I have a singleton...
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:05pm
Ohhhh, cooooool thread. I can get all judgey judgementalson and then if someone jumps down my throat I can be like "Babe started it!"

Smacking
A quick smack on the hand or bum if a child is being really naughty is fine with me. This should not happen all the time. You should have other measures in place first. Smacking is only for extreme circumstances.

Circumcision
Why anyone would want to cut off the end of a boys penis without a medical reason is beyond me. Religious reasons do not wash with me.

BFing v FFing
Breastfeeding is best. If you can't/don't want to thats fine with me - but please don't give me a bollocks reason for it.

I think people who have elective c sections to save their lady bits (is that why they do it?) are kidding themselves that it would be easier and their recovery is better than a vaginal birth. Contrary to what you might think - you tighten back up down there! You don't end up with a loose v-jay jay!

Choosing to have an elective because of medical reasons is a totally different matter.

When to start solids
As close to 6 months as you can.

Storebought solids are a waste of money.

BLW v Pureed food
BLW all the way!

We vaccinate. We've also done the research - we've just arrived at different conclusions to the non-vaccers. Of course, I think we came to the right one

Routine v Non-routine
Bugger routine until after 3 months. After that a loose routine is great until you feel like you need a proper one. Some babies put themselves into routines - Jude did.

No CIO/CC til after 9 months but limited use is best, if you can avoid it altogether then thats even better. Screaming it out is not acceptable unless a break is really really needed.

Cloth nappies v Disposables
Cloth nappies. Disposables are a waste of money. And no, it is not loads more work. It's easy.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:08pm
i definitely believe in boundaries! and do think that too many parents now dont have enough boundaries. i support the repeal of section 59 and hate that it got called the anti smacking bill.

dont believe in circumcision - unless they change it themselves my boys penis's will stay the way they were when born. However it is my job as a parent to teach them to be clean - no one likes a smelly penis!

BLW rocks - but if anyone prefers pureed food and all the work that goes with it - well thats their cup of tea.
i also believe home made is better but a jar or two never hurt.

Definitely believe that letting a baby cry for an extended length of time to teach them a lesson is wrong...

Believe that if a parent has researched vaccination and made an informed choice then good on them. Uninformed choice i dont care for much!

Breast feeding is best for baby - i truly believe that and i truly believe it is a babys right. I have heard so many stories though and know too that some women believe they cant bf and know that many women have problems that i know nothing about .. So i believe that bottle feeding is perfectly acceptable and dont really care ultimately how you feed your baby.

babe said all i want re cloth nappies!

and there you have my opinions on a few of those things...   

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:08pm
Gotta say my opinions on some of these things have slowly changed over time. I do believe spanking can be an appropriate form of discipline but I've really moved away from it in our house. Jake will get a smack on the bottom if hes openly defiant but TBH the thinking seat and the think act tell method are alot more effective with him. Thats what makes you a great parent IMO though - being open to changing your preconceptions and finding new methods and choices that bring out the best in your own family.
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Babe Babe wrote:

Gotta say my opinions on some of these things have slowly changed over time..........Thats what makes you a great parent IMO though - being open to changing your preconceptions and finding new methods and choices that bring out the best in your own family.

For sure! Not just for parenting - Life in general!

I'm always open to changing my opinion with the arrival of new evidence Sometimes I HATE being wrong but it doesn't mean I'm going to stubbornly refuse to admit I was wrong and change (as much as i'd like to!).

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Delli Delli wrote:

Originally posted by Babe Babe wrote:

Gotta say my opinions on some of these things have slowly changed over time..........Thats what makes you a great parent IMO though - being open to changing your preconceptions and finding new methods and choices that bring out the best in your own family.

For sure! Not just for parenting - Life in general!

I'm always open to changing my opinion with the arrival of new evidence Sometimes I HATE being wrong but it doesn't mean I'm going to stubbornly refuse to admit I was wrong and change (as much as i'd like to!).

yep me too!!

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:21pm
Oh Babe, you forgot RF vs FF Carseats

Hehehehe.

Oh and I do have one more thing to say re Sposies Vs Cloth.

It's just sh*t. It won't kill you. <---- Love the evil smiley.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:27pm
Smacking
Doesn't work for my kids. and i find it terribly hypocritical to yell "don't hit" and then smack the kid responsible.

Circumcision
eeew. why would you?

BFing v FFing
breast really is best.

In the throes of labvour I yelled about understanding why Britney demanded a c-section - but in reality, if you didn't HAVE to, why would you?

When to start solids
when they are ready.

homemade - it's cheaper

BLW v Pureed food
I always pureed, cause I didn't knw about BLW.

Vaccinated.

Routine v Non-routine
under 3 months, non-routine. after that, routine all the way. Some routine is good though regardless - as in bedtime routine.

Under 3 months, yuk.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

Definitely believe that letting a baby cry for an extended length of time to teach them a lesson is wrong...

Agreed!! The only time I've found CIO/CC appropriate is when they're fed and I'm sure they're full, they have a clean nappy, they aren't unwell and its bedtime. I leave Tyler for 15m during the day and I know if hes not asleep by then he needs something. At night its abit different coz he just likes getting up and mucking around so we're trying a few different things to encourage him to self-settle when he doesn't want to and yeah that has involved CIO and CC but its not easy when he goes through those patches to work out what to do. Everyone ends up so tired regardless!
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:32pm
There are a lot of people I agree with so far, (sheza on a lot, though I haven't had a c section )

But, my friends SIL paid for a C section for her first simply cos she didn't want to push (her words via her SIL,aka my friend)
I would ask her why for you Babe, but I don't like her anyway so.....

And I use cloths, but sometimes I hate them

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:34pm
Smacking
has its time and place. i believe that it should be the last step- and a smack never did me any harm. this one time when i was a kid, i was being naughty and told mum she wouldnt smack me (she always said she would be never really did) dam she smacked me so hard i did what i was told for a while after that!

Circumcision
im not a fan and think if males want it they can do when they are old enough to decide themselves

BFing v FFing
BF if you can!

Vaginal birth, if you can but if it ends up in a c-sect its not the end of the word

When to start solids
i think babies will tell you when they are ready, parents just need to know the signs

homemade solids but when you dont have time storebrought!

BLW v Pureed food
mixture of both

I think ill vaccinate but i have never really done any research on it

Routine v Non-routine
Routine!!!! Your the boss not the baby! i hate people that let their baby run their lifes (though i know things dont always go to plan)

CIO/CC to a certain level but you are the parent and you know when things are actually wrong

Cloth nappies v Disposables
Cloth nappies, they are SO cute. i plan to use them fulltime with a few disposables (i think they do have their place even if it is very small)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>