FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight Loss for IVF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
MaeBeeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Loss for IVF
    Posted: 18 December 2010 at 7:50am
Hi,

I need to get 10kgs off FAST as I want to do my next round of IVF in March. With Christmas looming I plan to start a full-on attack of weight loss after Boxing Day. I don't drink a lot so can certainly quit having a wine after Christmas Day.

What have others done to lose weight FAST. I know that 'fast' isn't good but I am aware of that and whatever quick plan I do would only be short-term, just to get rid of some kgs, and then go onto a more sustainable plan.

I have looked at the 14-day detox and it seems really good, and know of some who have had great success on it. Is there anything else out there?

I am also limited to my exercise cause of a knee problem (that is pending an operation - ho hum which I can't do when trying to get pregnant of course) - so yes I can cycle, and I have a treadmill.

Also, if anyone else wants to join me on this journey then please feel free. Perhaps we can keep this thread going as a weight--loss thread for IVF'ers as well as for ideas on losing weight quickly.

I will monitor my weight with a ticker from www.myfitnesspal.com once I get the ball rolling.
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 7:51am
PS: I am not after any diet plans that cost money, because my IVF is private, not public-funded, and money is tight esp as we haven't had any success yet.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 8:49am
You will find with those detox things you will loose it really fast and gain it back really fast as well so you probably won't keep it off for those couple of months. Its easy enough to loose a kg a week when you have plenty to loose if you just stick with some really good eating and a bit of decent exercise. I lost 5.5kg in 6 weeks doing that. And theres exercise you can do with a bung knee. Swimming is FANTASTIC for shedding weight and being very low impact. Even if you aren't a good swimmer just do lengths kicking with a flutterboard. I did that while preg up until the end and I had loads of pains everywhere in the last month but swimming was great

Edited by kebakat
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 10:33am
Hi MB, the best way to lose the weight is eat less. 70-80% of weight loss is on what you eat.

I have done liquid diets & they don't work, you may lose a bit but it is hard to keep it up & sill feel happy.

Cut out breads, sauces, dressings. Eat fruit & salads, drink heaps of water & watch portion sizes.

Now I know you will not think that it is a quick way to lose the weight but it will be a steady loss & if you put the effort in & get moving like walking you will see a loss.

My kids are getting swimming lessons for the IL's for xmas & I want them to go swimming after in the pools so that means me getting in & I am no where near ready for public swimming or will be by then but I am going to bite the bullet & hope I don't see anyone I know. I am also going to go swimming when the kids are back at school & kindy, so is the plan. I have 3 weeks to go.

I am starting my walking back up from tonight & will do it every night so it is a bit of a head start as I was going to start after xmas...but why wait.

You have 10 weeks before March if you start now & you can eat what you like on xmas day, that's what I am doing...free pass & lots of salads.

You have the perfect goal to lose weight for & you have support in the weight loss thread once you see a loss it will fire you up & there will be no stopping you...

Good luck & I know you can reach your goal

Edited by jazzy
Shezzey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezzey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2010 at 7:20pm

hey Maebeebaby... sorry about your ivf hun    and lots of hugs

I have been using myfitnesspal.com for the last few weeks and have lost 4kgs.  It really works for me... also I have only been drinking water and coffee or tea... no sodas or fruitjuices as they are loaded with sugar!  Good Luck Doll x

HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 6:54am
I'm also on a weightloss drive to lose weight before restarting fertility. Low GI combined with portion control is working for me. In 3 months I have lost 5kg without any exercise, and the occasional sneaky herseys chocolate kiss! (Imagine if I found time to exercise!!!!)

Basically no potatoes, sugars, white flour or white bread. Most snacks are now fruit, or yogurt. Breakfast is porridge or low gi bread with banana or a smoothie. Pasta and sushi for lunch/dinner. Lots of fruit and veg.

With the low GI I don't find I get hungry, so its easy to eat less.

I also think the portion control is a major factor. DH is also cutting back his portions while still eating everything he normally eats (including fast food!) and he is losing weight quickly too.

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:06am
Im on duromine and this is hepling a lot. Im sure you will google it but basically it makes you feel full faster so of course you eat less. I havent weighed myself since i have been on it (less then 2weeks) but i know i have lost weight

Oh there is a long list of side effects and a lot docs wont give it to you because of them. I havent had any side effects, the only problem i have had is actually eating! I have to remember to eat during the day at work
Rubyrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubyrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:31am
I went to a nutritionist last year and managed to lose 8kgs over about 4 mths.
I've been told by our FS to lose about 5kgs before we start IVF in July so need to get back into it ( things have sort of gone 'pear shaped' after the mc)
Basically this is what I will do(again):
Brekkie: hard boiled egg or ww baked beans on burgen soylin bread toasted
Lunch: small tin of salmon/tuna with huge salad or steam fresh veges and another piece of toast. Used to cut into crouton size pieces to mix it up a bit on the salad
afternoon tea: yoghurt or glass of milk
dinner: 1/2 cup protein (chicken, meat, fish) and half the plate needs to be green, ie salad or veges &
can have small pototo

Usually by the time i finish lunch I cant do the afternoon tea thing cause am still full.
She also said to walk 3kms in 30mins atlest 5-6 times a week.

she had those bmi weigh scales (awful things) and this menu plan helped reduce the fat percentage quite considerably.
TTC#1 Jan 07
Me 39 DP 41 MFI
DI#1&2 Sep & Oct 09 BFN
DI#3 Feb 10 BFP - mc @ 9wks
DI#4 Jul 10 - BFN
DI#5 Aug 10 - BFP - chem pg
IVF #1 Aug/Sept 11 - BFP - chem pg
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:25pm
Honestly, I know they recommend a BMI-related weight for IVF, but when you look around yourself, people at both extremes of the scale fall pregnant - some with reasonable regularity! Look at Posh Spice at one extreme ... she looks like it wouldn't even take a stiff breeze to carry her away

I think you're best to take care of yourself (portion control and healthy eating can't set you wrong) but don't place your body and soul under the extra stress that ditching a lot of weight would place on it - it does upset the apple cart some, and that's the last thing you want. The best thing you can do is be healthy and follow the clinic recommendations. All the best MaeBee - it's a hell of a ride, and those negative results hit hard
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
kiwikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 9:43am
I am on a big weight loss drive at the moment too.

The most important thing is to NOT STARVE YOUSELF.

If you do that then your body stores any food you eat as fat because it thinks there is not enough available. That is why liquid diets and most detox's dont work, as soon as you start eating real food again your body panics and stores it in case it is the only food it is going to get.

I have been doing weightwatchers for the past few weeks, and while I havent lost as much as I could have (I have had a few drinks leading up to christmas), eating well can easily loose you a kg a week.

Cut out as much sweet stuff as possible. Make sure you have a bit of protein with each meal, and limit carbs.

I start each day with two vogels and tomato.
Lunch is usually a salad or a low fat subway roll.
Dinner - half a plate of greens (salad, stirfry, grilled veges etc), a hand full of protein, and a patato or some cheese or carb.

There are heaps of ways you can mix this up. Stuffed veges with low fat cottage cheese baked in the oven is a nice variation.

Just watch your snacking - vege or fruit only. Make sure you are getting enough calcium (so a low fat yogurt a day is good), and make sure you eat regularly.
Due 14/10/11
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 1:06pm
One thing to realise about the "detoxing diets" is that its just working on shedding water, so you arent actually losing any weight as such (well only water, no fat, which is your goal).

Eat less, move more
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

Eat less, move more

If only it was that simple, we would all be skinny.
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 6:35pm

Eat less, move more

And you move a LOT
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
trouble06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trouble06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 9:53pm
Mmm - I have just looked at the fitness pal website and it looks great. I am trying to lose about 5 km by the end of Jan.

I so miss Vogels toast (twice toasted with avocado!!) .... yumm pity that you cannot buy it here in Melbourne. The toast range over here is pityful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 10:25pm
Trouble, I did pm you a few days ago on your request, did you get it?
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 6:35am
Originally posted by MaeBeeBaby MaeBeeBaby wrote:

Eat less, move more

Umm it really is that simple ...

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 7:39am

Originally posted by MaeBeeBaby MaeBeeBaby wrote:

Eat less, move more

Umm it really is that simple ...

well no it is not...the concept is but as we all with a weight issue know it is not always about eating less & moving more. It you are an emotional eater you have to battle with that all the time.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 10:13am
Nah it is that simple. I am an emotional eater. My heaviest I was 99kg. You just have to learn a bit of self control and find another outlet for your emotions. The only real healthy way to loose weight is eat less and better and move more.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 10:28am
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

Nah it is that simple. I am an emotional eater. My heaviest I was 99kg. You just have to learn a bit of self control and find another outlet for your emotions. The only real healthy way to loose weight is eat less and better and move more.

If it was that simple there would be no weight problems would there.

We all know the best way to lose weight is eat whole foods & less & exercise is to tone up.

Dealing with why you over eat & changing the relationship you have with foods are harder.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 11:52am
Originally posted by jazzy jazzy wrote:

Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

If it was that simple there would be no weight problems would there.

We all know the best way to lose weight is eat whole foods & less & exercise is to tone up.

Dealing with why you over eat & changing the relationship you have with foods are harder.

You still need to eat less and move more .. pretty simple, those that do follow those two simple rules lose weight, those that don't ... well don't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>