FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCouple aborts twin boys for girl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 6:22pm
Good point Bizzy. I know the doctors and nurses from FA where we went all work just so hard and love the news of BFPs and they have a big wall with photos of babies that they helped make possible. I think this sort of thing can give IVF a bad name to.

Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 10:47pm
IVF babies get a lot of monitoring so I imagine they would have checked at 12 weeks or something. Certainly by 16 they should have been able to tell.
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by LJsmum LJsmum wrote:

SHOCKING that they could kill two babies because they didn't meet their need for a girl. Those poor babies not given a chance at life . Why couldn't they adpot them out?

I agree with above comments she needs serious HELP, not a replacement girl for the one that died.

I feel sorry for the 3 boys their mother and father are consumed with this drive to have a girl.
I wonder when the boys are older if they will think 'why have you done this aren't we good enough'?

Totally agree so awful for the kids she already has and also an unfair burden should she have a girl.

I just don't think people should be able to choose the sex . I can imagine it being more of a grey area when there is some medical reason (eg genetic disorder like hemophilia women carry it but males have the disease) anyways thats bit off the topic.

In this case I think she is mentally unwell and can't understand how she would be allowed to have any further IVF either surely the doctor should refuse and recommend she seek treatment?
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

IVF babies get a lot of monitoring so I imagine they would have checked at 12 weeks or something. Certainly by 16 they should have been able to tell.

The only scan that clinics usually do is 8 weeks which is too early and also the 12 week which is common, but wouldn't show the sex yet either. So unless they were having them very regularly due to other issues, it would be in second trimester easily.
I remember being told that we still wouldn't be able to find out until the standard 20 week scan and I think sometimes you may be able to see at 18 weeks if a scan was booked then.
Either way, its terrible eh!

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 7:05pm
I imagine that because these people were so desperate for a girl, they would have found out at the earliest possible time... I know with FA you can pay for scans that aren't scheduled with the standard monitoring. So hopefully it wasn't a late term abortion - but that doesn't make these people's obvious mental health issues any less

LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 7:15pm
Dh and i have been discussing this and he can't believe that they could do this !
I wonder if their wider family know??? or friends?
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 8:26pm
Well I hope it was at early stage to Hopes - not that it makes any difference really like you say and their mental health.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 8:57pm
I don't think it really matter how far along they were, the outcome is the same, two little boys will never get the chance at life.

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 8:21am
Yip it was still life no matter what stage

5th...and final?? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5th...and final?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:16am
I am thankfull that I live in a country where both IVF and ABORTION are legal and safe, and where women are able to make choices for themselves and their families.

pekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:21am
Truly disgusting, she doesn't deserve another shot at a girl nor any other babies in my opinion!
kelzie_rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelzie_rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 9:51pm
As someone who has been on the TTC journey for almost three years and have had two miscarriages, this makes me so utterly depressed. First off, I think that surely with IVF, you surely get some kind of counseling or talking to, as it seems to be a very very emotional and intense time. And surely, someone must have picked something up, talking to her about this.

Also, surely IVF should be for those who are having problems conceiving, and she has had three boys, conceived naturally.

The husband then goes on to say: "After what we have been through we are due for a bit of luck." Ok, where's my luck? I'm due some luck! They have three healthy boys.

And... There are people - like my husband and I, and numerous other couples - that would have given those boys a loving home.

I do feel bad that they have lost their daughter, but this has three times now, made me so angry and depressed that I've cried.

Edited by kelzie_rose

Started TTC Apr 2008
With PCOS and a bicornuate uterus

Our angel babies
Jan 2010 <3
Oct 2010 <3
Apr 2011 <3
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by 3rdtimelucky 3rdtimelucky wrote:

I am thankfull that I live in a country where both IVF and ABORTION are legal and safe, and where women are able to make choices for themselves and their families.

I'm glad to live in a country where both IVF and abortion are available too.

But I can't comprehend how and why the couple would have gone through IVF only to abort based on gender though. That sucks. It's a totally different matter to falling pregnant accidentally and not being able to keep the baby. They fell pregnant on PURPOSE with HELP and KNEW there would be a 50% chance they would have to abort It just seems so ....... wrong.

What's next, getting a full genetic profile of your unborn child done and aborting if it was not going to have blue eyes?

If they are granted the right to select the sex of their next baby (though I know they can do it in other countries), it just seems to me that we are getting closer and closer to a world like that in the movie Gattaca. And that's a bit scary to me.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense - too late at night for me to be posting really.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 11:08pm
i think that it is sad in many ways... but i also take what the media report with a grain of salt. There are probably some parts of that story that is true but i know also that there would be omissions and half truths too. as outsiders we will never know the whole truth and frankly its probably not even any of our business either.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5th...and final?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 12:42am
Delli, your post makes sense, AND even better, its on topic.

Do we want people selecting the gender of their embryo's before implantation?

the article is not about a women having aborted healthy fetuses because they were not the gender she wanted - this happens the world over, whether conceived by IVF or naturally.

you can undertake CVS from 10 weeks onward.
(there is a blood test that puports to reveal gender from 6 weeks but it has not been scientifically tested so one would hope that method was not employed.)
you can legally terminate up to 20 weeks in NZ and Australia - for reasons of maternal mental health.

If this women was allowed to use PGD technologies available in other countries she could have chosen the gender of her embryo's and would not have aborted them.

Terminating a pregnancy does not make you an unfit mother to your other children (exisitng or future).

although you may not think this is a genuine comment - hugs to those on their TTC journey, i appreciate this will not be an easy topic for you.

i just value healthy debate of issues surrounding our rights as women to choose our own destiny.

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 10:10am
I'm not anti termination at all - if she had her three boys and then accidentally concieved twins and felt unable to care for 5 children and had a termination i wouldnt be writing this.

But to have IVF and then abort healthy babies bases on their gender AND say they'll be going back for another attempt??! Thats messed up.

A lot of my horror is admittedly based on the assumption she would have had to be well into the second trimester to find out the babies sex. But thats assumption.

As for gender selection: Yup, for sure one step away from gattica and that was a creepy film. I'm not sure i am even ok with gender selection even when its for legitimate genetic problems like haemophilia. To me its messing around with nature way too much.

And big, big, big hugs for Kelzie_rose.

Edited by bowie
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 10:42am
Originally posted by bowie bowie wrote:

I'm not anti termination at all - if she had her three boys and then accidentally concieved twins and felt unable to care for 5 children and had a termination i wouldnt be writing this.

But to have IVF and then abort healthy babies bases on their gender AND say they'll be going back for another attempt??! Thats messed up.

A lot of my horror is admittedly based on the assumption she would have had to be well into the second trimester to find out the babies sex. But thats assumption.

Couldn't have put it better myself. That is exactly why I am horrified by this. I'm not anti termination in circumstances and its not my business, but I have been through IVF and for them to do IVF and then terminate IS disgraceful. I'm actually pissed at the clinic that did it. I was always under the impression Aussie was as strict with these things as NZ. And like someone else in here said, there is counseling done before IVF is started and the psychologist wouldn't let someone do it with the kind of issues this couple has.

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 10:44am
Kelzie I hope you get the little miracle you deserve soon hun and the comment made by the husband in the article pisses me off to.

Hopefully like bowie said not all things in that article are true.

kelzie_rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelzie_rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 10:57am
Thanks girls, it's not just me though, there are quite a few of us here (esp in the TTC #1 and under 30yrs old and Charting - TTC after recent MC threads) that are hurting just as bad as I am.

Started TTC Apr 2008
With PCOS and a bicornuate uterus

Our angel babies
Jan 2010 <3
Oct 2010 <3
Apr 2011 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5th...and final?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 5:56pm
Unless you have been paraphrased in the media personally, you may not fully understand the liberties they take.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>