FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedweight gain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weight gain
    Posted: 12 February 2005 at 4:13pm
Hey guys, Haven't been on for the last few days, so thought i should update you on our dramas. Jayde has only been gaining 100gms per week for the last 4 weeks. Plunket is'nt worried but i am. I know this isnt normal and she has flatlined if you look at her plunket book (Alyssa was putting on about 200-250gms at this age per week).

I went into our family centre yesterday to get some help. They weighed her and she had only put on 2oz in 4 days. Then they got me to feed her. I was doing everything right she just screamed or refused to suck when she went on. The last time i feed her was at 440am and she refused to feed until about 11. At which time i asked them if they had a breast pump for me to express into and then i could give her a bottle. I expressed about 50mls and she gobbled it up. They told me not to feed her when she is sleepy or asleed as they dont feed well. But at least she will take the breast then. Doing it their way she refuses all together. Grr. I went home so frustraited and sad, thinking i had wasted my time.

Rob's gone into town to buy me an electric breast pump today so i can give her a bottle after feeds at night at this stage.

grrr. I just felt that plunket wasnt taking me seriously. Im going to see my doctor on monday maybe she will have some suggestions or may be able to do tests or something to see what is wrong with her. Silent reflux has been mentioned by my plunket nurse so may need to go on medication for that.

ANyway who said no2 would be easy.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2005 at 10:26pm
I feel for you so much. I had the same dilemma with Paris. She was born a good weight (for our size) and yet she just didn't thrive and gain weight. It was about the same stage as you are at now that things started going wrong with breastfeeding for us as well. What you have described is what happened at every feed for us, from about 6 weeks onwards.. to varying degrees, sometimes i would have a day of sucesses, but usually that was followed by many days of failed feeds.. so yes, i would wait till she was pretty much asleep because she would resist less. All i can say is, get help, if plunket is no good (a few people I know have found the same thing) perhaps get in touch with your hospital lactation consultant? maybe you could get referred through your gp etc. Make sure you keep trying, and asking for help until you get solutions that work.. it gets very disheartening when you go somewhere for help and come away feeling like maybe it's all in your head.   we went down every road possible with Paris too - reflux is a very prevalent prob in Mike's family so we were quite worried about that as well.   I'm worried about the same thing happening with this one, almost to the point where i sometimes question whether or not i should even try. but i will give it a go, and think maybe if it doesn't turn out, I will cut my losses much earlier. however, I can only imagine how hard it would be to have had sucess with my first.. then problems with the second. Hopefully this is just a phase baby's going through. I hope everything works out for you. do what you have to do to keep your baby healthy, but also remember that your sanity is important too!     Good luck.    

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2005 at 10:32pm

I just had a look back at Sophie's well child book.  In her first 5 weeks she went from the 90th percentile to the 50th percentile, putting on 100 - 200 grams a week (not for lack of milk on my part).  From there she managed to stick to the 50th percentile.

I know it's hard, but try not to stress too much as bubs will pick up on it. 

Hope you work out what my be causing the poor weight gain

Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 1:45pm
I can empathise Maria, Maya was fine as a newborn but at about 4 mths stopped gaining weight and was eventually diagnosed as 'fails to thrive' at 8 mths old. It was a long hard road getting a diagnosis tho, I was fed every single excuse from "she's just got a fast metabolism' to 'some babies just grow slowly' and it wasn't until she ended up on the 3rd percentile that anyone would take notice.
In saying that tho, Jayde was a healthy birthweight, so it is possible she is gaining slower and will stay around average weight. But the best advice I can give you is to do what you think is best. Don't let anyone second guess you - you are her mum and you know best.
Good luck!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 6:32pm
Thanks for the support guys. She seems to be feeding better today, maybe its just me being hopefull. Anyway its nice to know other people have been in the same boat and that their babies have come out fine. Its hard not to worry though aye. Anyway ill get the GP to check her throat and ears etc tomorrow. Thanks again for your words of support its just good to know that someone is listening.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 8:11pm
mm, I have found this site is so great for boosting confidence and supporting.. am so glad i found it, gives me a bit more hope that this time i won't feel so lonely and isolated.. and that's gotta be a plus.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 8:55pm
You won't be lonely and isolated Janine - you have us to moan to!
I remember when Maya was sick in hospital and Willie was nowhere to be seen, these wonderful ladies on here were so supportive. It was great just to feel like someone was interested coz I was pretty lonely and depressed, and my 'perfect' baby was turning out not to be so 'perfect' at all. (But of course she is )
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 9:03pm
Being over here, having some people who are sensible to ask questions has been a life saver for me. japanese people give babies tea from 1 month.....tea???
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 11:38am
argh!that is so scary!

mind you, i nannied for an indian family, and by 9 months their little girl was gobbling down the hottest curries with her mum and dad. her nickname was "curry baby" simply cos she would refuse everything else if she has the option of hot food. (just the smell of it cooking was enough to give me hot flushes and eyes water)

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 12:33pm
Yeah, I saw a nine month old slurping down noodles for new year. then again when i worked at *cough* Burger King *cough*, I used to see lots of mums feeding their offspring chips, and these kids couldn't sit by themselves, all of five-six months I think!!
Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 2:52pm
cough cough I worked at burger king up till i was 7 mnths preg with xander and always saw babies eating fries n nuggets.when and wot BK did u work at lizzle???
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 4:40pm
Maya has fries
She first had them at 9 mths when she was in Starship. She was really underweight and the dietician came to see us, and we were looking out the window of her room at Macca's and the dietician said "you know, it wouldn't hurt that girl to have a few chips. Might put some weight on her".
She loved the chips, although I did feel really guilty giving them to her, and expert did tell me to do it!
Now she only has Macca's about once a month but considering how many foods she can't eat, she doesn't get too many treats so I let her have Macca's occasionally.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 8:59pm
yeah, paris is a chip fiend. anything starchy... pasta, noodles, potatos, chips. 9 months isn't too bad for noodles.. they can be a nice alternative for potatoes etc sometimes. only thing i hate about most fast food places chips is 1) the fat content.. and 2) soooo much salt!   but yep - paris had "donalds" for the first time a few months before xmas... (up till then we couldn't afford it) now, she just eats the chips, scrounges some of my sundae, then wants to play... so basically.. she's a normal kid. lol.

lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 9:16pm
Sophie likes chips - as long as there's plenty of tomato sauce.  I don't mind her have some junk food as she is such a good fruit eater.  I often have to tell her she can't have any more as she has had so much.
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 9:24pm
yep, paris loves the sauce.. she dips her whole hand in and eats it by itself.. i'm mean, sometimes i just don't give her any, otherwise she eats it all and wants more.. just the sauce, not the chips. lol.. actually i think emma said about Maya doing the same thing on a post a while ago.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2005 at 3:31am
I worked at BK (as those of us in the know call it ) in palmerston North....umm for about two years 1997=99 i think.
Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2005 at 10:31am
ok that was way before my time then.I was at the downtown one from 2001 -2003.I am guilty of giving Xander chips too but wot can u do when they stare at u eating them lol.
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
melz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2005 at 3:54pm
I had a girlfriend who was always very "my child won't be having any junk food at all apart from fish & chips occasionally". That all changed when her girl was big enough to let her opinion known and now she is allowed chips and pizza and stuff. Everything in moderation I say. Angie LOVES chips and stuff but she is the same as Sophie and eats tons of fruit. She has even be known to turn down a chocolate biscuit so she could have some grapes.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2005 at 6:53pm
Yep. Maya is a sauce fiend too. But she also eats heaps of fruit and veges so it kinda balances itself out. And I always request chips without salt for her.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2005 at 8:22pm
yep,. we keep it pretty balanced with paris, it helps that daycare give fruit etc for morning and afternoon tea, and good hearty meals of veges and meat for lunch... definately nice to know if she's fussy at dinner that she's at least had a good serve of fruit and veges that day.

and yep - paris usually turns down bikies in favour of raisins cheese and crackers.. and she hates juice most of the time (except those cute little just juices if we are out).. only milk or water for her!

Edited by mum2paris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>