FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmedicine and the toddler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: medicine and the toddler
    Posted: 17 March 2007 at 7:06am
Do any of you have any bright ideas for getting medicine into toddlers - especially those too young to be bribed - or too stubborn. Have a feeling I'm fighting a losing battle as when we were in hospital it took three nurses to get medicine into Jake and even then - he spat it out!

he has a couigh now and would love some tips to get him to take robutussin (taste kids love my bum!!)
Sponsored Links

Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 8:17am
I have heard of one method from my boss... her son loved batman and owned a batman cape. She was at her wits end and picked up the cape and some scissors and threatened to cut it up if he didnt take it, he did and has since. Not sure if parenting books would condone this though
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 8:41am
My Mum used to mix it with a spoonful of jam or honey. Sounds gross when I think about it now but it worked a treat when we were little!
Good luck Lizzle!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 10:58am
I haven't tried this as Andrew will take his medicine fine. But what about trying it mixed in a drink and getting to drink the drink. Maybe in a cup of juice where the flavour of the medicine is not tasted.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 3:10pm
can you bribe him with a lolly after? thats what my mum used to do
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 4:03pm
Well we had trouble with this one from the first time we tried to give her medicine. What does help is to use a syringe. Then get it into the side of the mouth right towards the back and slowly give the medicine. It works.

If your child takes a dummy you get the medicine ones. And they can suck it that way.

Hope it helps. McKayla doesnt seem to struggle when her dad gives it to her but he told her straight up at about 6 weeks that you will take it come hell or high water and well ....

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 1:35pm
Han is usually really good with taking medicine but had the most awful antibiotics when she had infected eczema.

I just had to bribe her. Lots. And most of it still went down her front... but then I'd give her more. So she *kinda* learnt that she had to take it as I would persist. Luckily we made it through the bottle.

P.S. Dimetapp is yum. I'd drink a whole bottle of their grape flavoured stuff if I could!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 1:36pm
Actually I just remembered how I used to get most of the yucky antibiotics in her... I'd load up a dropper with the medicine and let her have it to suck it out herself.

Dunno if that'd work. She seemed to swallow most of it before realising how disgusting it tasted.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 8:06pm
I was going to suggest syringe like Shirena said. I syringe Siennas meds into her every night, and if you get the back of the mouth they have no choice but to swallow. It's pretty failproof, but I'd save it as a last resort if none of the other stuff works coz I can remember having to syringe antibiotics into Maya when she was 18 mths or so and it becoming a real performance coz she fought so much.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 8:31pm
Syringer here as well, although i 'll admit to sneaking it into his bottle when he spat it out a few times a wile back..
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 8:36pm
See I tried the bottle thing with Sienna when she was tiny coz it seemed like way less effort, but she wouldn't drink the bottle? It was 2ml of meds in 120ml of milk but the little minx just spat it out. Now she's well trained tho, I give it to her at the dream feed and she just sucks it down in her sleep.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 8:38pm
Yip we use a syringe here as well. I just asked Dan before when giving Xanda his antibiotics and Pamol if he worried about how much Xanda actually likes the medicine. He holds the syringe himself and just sucks on it, even when it is all gone he is looking for more.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 8:21am
Maya loves Panadol just a wee bit too much...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 2:37pm
hahaha Hannah has started asking for medicine too... I remember you and Janine posting about how Maya and Paris would fake sick just to get some! Makes me laugh
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 2:46pm
Bay fakes sick to get medicine! but not robitusson he would offer up all of his favourate things for us to throw out just so he didnt have to take it!! and i must say i was taking it when TTC and i would gag on it too!!! extremely foul!!! We love Dimatap

Edited by Baysmum
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 7:57pm
I have to use a syringe to get anything into Joey too. He used to "love" medicine but won't have a bar of it anymore

Post Reply Post Reply