FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilo and Ovaltine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milo and Ovaltine
    Posted: 22 March 2007 at 2:10pm
Hi guys,

This is gonna sound stupid...but here it goes!

Zaara is 16 months and hates milk (cow milk) and is still on breast! I want her to start taking Cow milk but she just drinks 20ml or so and chucks the cup. I was wondering if it is ok to give her either Milo or Ovaltine?

I dont give her any sweets as at and she is on prune juice (mixed with water) for constipation.....and on water. Would you give Milo or Ovaltine to such a young kid?

Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 2:25pm
I did that with Paris to get her off the bottle - we let her pick her own special cup and substituted formula for warm wilk with the tiniest bit of milo in it, no sugar, just enough to colour it really.. but she liked it and we teamed it with story time to distract her. it wasn't all the time.. just for before afternoon sleep, bedtime at night, and sometimes after brekkie in the morning. I definately wouldn't give it from a bottle.

Ajya we tried the same thing and she wouldn't have a bar of it, usually just spills things on the ground after a few sips, or spits them out (argh hate that!) she is getting better, but i think it's alot to do with that age anyway.. if she doesn't want milk we just offer water ina sipper bottle, which she skulls back alot of. We try and get dairy food into her other ways, she loves cheese and yogurt.. so that's where the majority of her calcuim comes from, and with her cereal or weet-bix in the mornings we put lots of milk cos that's the one time she'll drink it all up.

By the time they get to this age, they really don't need so much of the "milk drinks" and opposed to a varied diet and plenty of fluids.. if you can get her dairy into her other ways then let her be with water and let her choose her own speical sipper cup to have her big girl drinks in before bed. or if you are planning to wean her.. you might find she changes a little once that happens.. why have second rate cows stuff when you can have the good stuff from mum .. lol

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 2:46pm
Thanks Janine!!

She doesnt drink from a bottle at all, she choose her sipper cup when we bought it, and she drink every thing from it!

She doesnt like cheese and we dont eat alot of yogurt at home but when ever we do, she does have a few spoons of it. She will have cheese spread on bread as a sandwich....but just like me she is not too keen on Dairy. She wont eat cereal with milk in it so I give ger baby cereal with water and fruit salad!

I do wanna wean her off slowly as I plan to try for number two in Aug - Sep and I heard that Milk is not so tasty when you are pregnant (It could be false!!)...but I never wanted to BF her longer than 2 years anyway!

So I thought cutting down Breast milk and giving her cow milk would help...but she hates the stuff...and oh I tried toddler formula...hates that too.....I am stuck!

I will try just a small bit of Milo in milk and see if she likes that!!

Thanks again!

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 2:55pm
Roksana the only way this one drinks Cows milk is with some Nesquick. You get it with the Milo's and I see no problem with it. Plus you get different flavours for them.

I grew up on the stuff. She still only has little bits of it in her sippy cup. (but then she prefers the boob and I am available (( according to her)) 24/7)

Did you try her with Cow cheese wedges? McKayla loves the stuff. Even if she doesnt like cheese maybe try her on that. Yogurt is another good option as well. You get the kiddies yogurt as well.

Otherwise if all else fails, how about pumping some breastmilk and then either taking formula or cowsmilk and start mixing it and giving it to her. So take a cup breastmilk with teeny bit other milk and start slowly adding more of the other milk. Might mean lots of work for you though.

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 2:56pm
Other thing is she might wean once you are pregnant and might switch over then. (or end up feeding through out the pregnancy and then you might have to tandem.

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 3:04pm
How about making some oats with milk. So that way there is no milk like visible to her. Or cook some veggies in milk.

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 3:05pm
.....tandem feeding...Man how will I cope?? Zaara is not so good at sharing...LOL

Ok I wil try all your advice and see what happens!

Thanks

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 3:18pm
yah well she likes mashed potatoes....which has milk in it...but I tried giving her rolled oats in milk (which I love)...and nah she doesnt like it!!

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 3:28pm
Do you make the oats with the milk?

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 3:31pm
Okay your inbox is full again. Was going to tell you to get something called Pronutro. Try that porridge with milk with her. But if you are going to Bombshell on Sat I will bring some for you to try out before you buy it.

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 3:43pm
Yah...I am going there...that would be good! Thanks.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 11:36am
I have the same prob (although Jack is weaned now) hes not interested in cows milk or toddler milk. We were going fine with him eating yoghurt but not he just spits it out. I love choc milk at the moment so I have been putting the tiniest amount in with normal milk and he will drink that down.
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 2:16pm
Your inbox is still full Roksana. How did the pronutro went? And did you try the nesquick.

Me being nosy again.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 8:35pm
My girls drink milo for breakfast, no sugar, and Briona is not much older than your girl... would have been having it since about 13 months I think.

Have you tried a cup with a straw? The novelty might be enough to get her onto a cup.
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 10:00am
OK I tried the Srawberry Nesquick Shirena gave me...and nope she had a sip and threw the sipper cup on the floor...Arrrgggg

Havent tried pronutro yet Shirena...but I just ran out of her usual cereal and she will be having that tomorrow morning (Fingers crossed).

I am running out of ideas now!!

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 10:29am
the straw is a good idea...try getting one of those novelty ones...that go in a funny shape BUT only use it for "special" drinks - those with milk in it....

also maybe put sprinkles on top that she can see or something...then if that works slowly put less and less on....

also does she like custard? another way of getting dairy into her...and maybe with a little bit of icecream on side?
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 10:35am
Joey really likes vanilla flavoured milk. He has soy milk but I know there are s26 sachets of vanilla milk stuff...?

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 10:48am
Yah she like yogurt and that day she had a Mango lassi (Indian yogurt drink). I just dont understand why she doesnt like Milk??? How am I suppose to wean her?? Arrggg

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 11:31am
Roksana I have absolutely no idea how I am going to wean this one when it comes to that stage. I told hubby I am going to have to take a week holiday and he will have to take care of her so there is absolutely no boobs around. But I am going to worry about that later on.

Where do you BF her? If she likes being where the action is maybe take her out of the room when you feed her. Maybe she would want to BF less and will drink her other milk more? I have absolutely no idea what else to suggest.

I know of some mom that actually got desperate and put lemon juice on her breast and told her girl that her boobies is sick so the fairies came and brought special milk to her in a bottle and will continue to do that for her. But I think maybe Zara is a bit to young to understand that.

Lemon wont work on this side as my girl loves the stuff again. So going to have to find something really vile it I want to use that trick one day.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 11:46am
ayja, for a child that was fed till about 15 months, became very attached to the bottle with formula in it however she had had formula since about 6 months when she had her bottles cos i couldn't keep up with expressing. However, there was no darn way that she would drink milk and mostly now, she still won't, lucky i spose she eats the other stuff. I guess just perserverence? annoying, i know.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>