FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone due October???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 2:10pm
What about the expensive stuff…for nursery? What are the basics...e.g. cot, drawers???

Sponsored Links

bonjovi6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonjovi6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 5:27pm
So, was the cot you looked at in farmers a touchwood?
I love them but couldnt justify paying so much. This will be our 3 child, but I completly understand you wanting all new for your first. We just bought a second hand one(In like new condition) for $270. I dont think you need a brand new set of drawers, but totally optional.
Big items are bassinet, car seat, push chair, cot(unless you buy one that is like the touchwood and its a bassinet,cot, first bed, then couch), a bath, musical mobiles, a baby rocker is wonderfull. Dont forget wollen singlets, cotton singlets, socks, hats, baby blankets/sheets, underlays for keeping the mattress dry, stretch and grows with domes on the front(I found they were great), baby powder, baby soap, shampoo, nappy rash treatment, baby wipes. 3 of each will do for now untill you know what everyone is buying you.
I think thats about all, that I can remember anyway(it has been over 5 years). I'll have to go look at Shauns gear and see if there is anything else.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 7:02pm
car seat you HAVE to buy new, so I've heard
Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 7:37pm

not necessarily.Plunket rentals are just as good as new.they have to be otherwise theyd be a bit hypocritical.same with baby factory.

our cot we brought brand new from farmers for $299 and $60(half price when u bought cot) for an innersprung mattress,so ended up a pretty cheap deal for an american size cot I thought.

BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 7:45pm
I bought a new carseat but only coz Mum and Dad were paying Otherwise we would have had a Plunket rental. As long as you check the expiry date on the Safety seal and all the straps/harnesses etc. are intact and it hasn't been in an accident it should be fine. Although I don't know if I would buy a second hand carseat from someone I didn't know coz you never know the history.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 11:22pm
oh, thats actually what i meant, I'm sure the plunket and rental ones must be safe....with safety checks and everything. But i think I'd be very wary of buying from someone I didn't know
bonjovi6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonjovi6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 8:09am
One thing I just remembered, There is a car seat that has like a big plastic "T" thingy that goes in between the babys legs. I cant remember where I read it but these are bad for boys as it put undue pressure on his private parts.

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 9:59am
those seats are calles T-bars. i think they are either evenflo or century brand.oh hang on, both brands have the T-bars.
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 1:09pm
We are getting our carseat from baby factory - ex-rental - they have to test them and all that before they can seel them.. so it's probably a heap safer than buying off the net, or out of the paper etc.. can never guarantee with that sorta thing that they haven't been in an accident.

For our cot, we used a portacot with Paris - with the basinette part.. it was all we could afford at the time, and never ended up getting a proper one. it was $179. was good cos we could pack it up and go anywhere and never had to worry that paris wasn't used to the bed she was sleeping in - cos it was her usual one!

we got a scotch chest of drawers for paris, and it fitted all of her stuff in it. we have just replaced it, and got the new baby a set the same.. mike had paris's "old" ones.

that's about it, cot, drawers, carseat, buggy. people give you heaps of rattles and clothes. a bouncer is good so you can stick bubba in it when you are cooking, also when you have to grab a shower and baby is awake (despite best intentions and planning, it WILL happen) it fits in the bathroom so you can keep an eye on bub the whole time. and we got given a soft playgym with the circle mat attached to it. from really early on we put paris under that and she loved it, it was a godsend.

you really can get away without spending a complete fortune.. unless you WANT to, that is.. there's nothing wrong with shopping.. lol.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 1:26pm
Well I am hoping that some of the expensive stuff will get given to me by my Mum and Dad........Well I know they will. However I will start buying a few things (Lay Buy) so that I have the essentials. I was thinking that I will start buying when I am around 20 weeks. Do you guys think it is to early/late? For lay buys I mean?

I am not going to buy any cloths or toys, as I know I will have plenty given to me. But I will buy a few for the hospital and when I bring the baby home.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 1:30pm
most hospitals give you nighties and cloth naps to dress baby in... so you don't actually need stuff for the hospital - its easier to use theirs.. that way ou have no washing to do when baby gets home.. plus, sometimes if you change baby, and something gets mixed up accidently with the hospital washing, it can be a nightmare to get back.. use their stuff!!

we put our cot and buggy down on layby at 8 wks with Paris. go for it.. it may seem so far away.. but boy does it go fast!!!!

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 1:39pm
Thanks Janine...I was wondering if the hospitals give the initial baby cloths....

I know even tho I will have 20 weeks to pay every thing off ...the time will fly fast.

My mum and I might go window shopping this weekend to see what is around. Then compare prices and quality.

After that we will decide and lay buy some items.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 3:05pm
Thanks Janine, you just made me feel better! I thought I was the only nutter that laybyed things almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant!

The first thing I laybyed was some blankets and clothes at K-Mart when I was about 8-9 weeks, then I laybyed the pram just after 3 mths, then the cot etc. later on.

Maya's godmother bought her a flash baby gym from farmers, it's a mat with a tunnel and it cost her $90, but Maya loved it soooo much. I got it out again a few weeks ago when a friends baby came over, and Maya and her little friends were more into it than the baby

Here in West Auckland our liquor sales are administrated by a trust which means they have to put a % of money back into the community, so they run a scheme where you can get a brand new carseat for $25 when you have a baby. You just have to take baby's birth cert and proof of address within the first 3 mths of birth. I didn't live here when Maya was born, but it is something for us to think about next time round.

Oh, and I never thought about taking the bouncer into the bathroom with me, what a great idea! I just used to leave Maya in the cot with the mobile going so I knew she was safe. The mobile was another great purchase, cost about $35 but Maya would lay and watch it for ages.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 3:14pm
I have some Fly buys points and I saw things like baby monitor, mobile, playmat gym etc.....I dont ever get any thing for my points, so I was thinking I would get those.
However I know that friends and Family might also give us those...arggghhh I am confused.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 3:36pm
Use the Fly Buys points. Then you can tell family and friends what you already have so they can get you things that you don't have already.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:04pm
Thanks Emma....
I think the mobiles are sooo cute......
I also like the bouncer and gym......
oh choices choices........

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 6:12pm
I got the playgym for Jayde from Flybuys. They have different stuff on special every month on their website. So you have a bit of time if you want to wait until the things that you want require less points.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 8:04pm
I got Maya a pop up tent and a matching play tunnel from fly buys. Great wet day activities!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 8:08pm
That car-seat scheme sounds really good.. i spose, it is a way to ensure that all babies travel in one - even those from families that could not afford one. if only they did that everywhere.

I did not know that about the flybuys having different specials and stuff.. i have never really looked - mike says we are saving ours for a new cordless phone, our old one stopped working and i have been tied to the wall with our other crappy phone ever since. the cordless was so great when paris came along.. meant i could feed her and still talk.. have it beside me just in case etc.

oh yeah, YAYAYAY, mike talked his mum into the buggy, we get it next weekend.

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 8:38am
i've got a 2nd hand carseat.... just made sure plunket gave it a good checking over before i used it.
maybe i'm a bit too trusting, but the lady i bought it from seemed very honest and the carseat looks in great condition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>