FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedResearch into MCN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research into MCN
    Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:19pm
Hi there

Obviously I don't have a bubba just yet but I am keen to try cloth nappies when the time comes & have been doing lots of research on this forum & on the net in general. Trouble is, I'm still a tad confused but I will start with one question:

How much soaking do cloth nappies actually involve? I only ask b/c we don't have a laundry tub as DH removed it during one of his DIY weekends. I never thought of this being a potential issue when he started the renovations... but perhaps a bucket would suffice??

And my second Q: I see that the MCN systems involve a liner & the outer cover (I'm probably missing vital parts here!), how often do you need to wash the outer cover??

Thanks for putting up with my total ignorance on the subject but I really am trying

Edited by sally belly
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:22pm
You aren't meant to soak MCN's very often at all as it can be damaging and you can cause a build up in them then they don't work very effectively. You just throw them in the washing machine after putting them in a dry nappy bucket.

Edited by kebakat
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by sally belly sally belly wrote:

How much soaking do cloth nappies actually involve?
And my second Q: I see that the MCN systems involve a liner & the outer cover (I'm probably missing vital parts here!), how often do you need to wash the outer cover??

i dont soak my nappies at all, and some people i know rinse any waste off in their washing machine.

some people choose to use liners for their nappies but it isnt a necessity. some nappies require a cover but pocket nappies (which seem to be the most popular type) dont. covers dont need to be washed at every change unless they get dirty but pockets do.

the   snazzipants website has a great comparison chart and also explains a lot about the diff types (as well as brands) of nappies.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by sally belly sally belly wrote:

Depends which system you mean here... it sounds like you are talking about using a separate cover over top of either a fitted or prefold - in this case you don't need to wash the cover each time, just have a couple and leave one to air while you use the next. They will probably need to be washed after a couple of uses (or more often if they get poos on them

If it is a pocket you are talking about, where the outer bit is actually attached to the liner (and an insert goes into the pocket) then you will need to wash this after every use as the liner gets wet/soiled.

Hope that helps a little bit!

and you'd not believe how long it took me to get my head around the different types... so never fear about asking questions! It's how ya learn
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:32pm
[QUOTE=sally belly] Hi there

QUOTE]

You are probably talking about a fitted and a cover... this is one type of option but there are also others. I personally don't have too much experince with fitteds as I use pockets but I don't think you need as many covers as nappies (I'm sure someone else will help you more with this)

Pockets are really easy to use. It is just 'one' nappy that forms a pocket between the outer, waterproof layer and the stay dry layer that goes against bubs bum. You then stuff the pocket with inserts that absorb the moisture. There are a few different types of inserts available.

Hope this helps! (it can seems quite daunting when you first start out)
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

You aren't meant to soak MCN's very often at all as it can be damaging and you can cause a build up in them then they don't work very effectively. You just throw them in the washing machine after putting them in a dry nappy bucket.

not quite accurate as it isnt the soaking that can damage nappies but rather what you are soaking them in. a lot of people use the dry pail method which entails chucking your nappies in an empty pail. The old fashioned method of throwing your dirty nappies into a pail of water is still alive and very practical.

you shouldnt use fabric softener as that will def affect their performance.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by gandt gandt wrote:

not quite accurate as it isnt the soaking that can damage nappies but rather what you are soaking them in. a lot of people use the dry pail method which entails chucking your nappies in an empty pail. The old fashioned method of throwing your dirty nappies into a pail of water is still alive and very practical.

Actually some fabrics don't respond well to being soaked in just plain old water reguarly either. It can speed up the deterioration of the fabric according to a couple of nappy suppliers that I've spoken to.

But tons of people still do it and each to their own
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

Originally posted by gandt gandt wrote:

Actually some fabrics don't respond well to being soaked in just plain old water reguarly either. It can speed up the deterioration of the fabric according to a couple of nappy suppliers that I've spoken to.

But tons of people still do it and each to their own

I soak all my inserts and soak the covers/pockets only when they are 'dirty' as opposed to wet, the only ones I don't soak are the Ecobubs wool and the Berry Plush.

And to answer your question SallyBelly, not having a tub wouldn't be a problem re: soaking coz you can use a bucket, but do you have somewhere you can rinse soiled nappies before you soak/wash them to remove the solids?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 9:39pm
Or you could always hold on tight to the corner of the nappy whilst its over the toilet & flush lol

Not having any experience yet, this is good reading in prep for my washing routine.

If you dry pail do you use a stain remover & what kind. If you wet pail what do you use to soak & what detergent do you use in the machine? And how hot? Oh & while I'm asking all these Q's do you do a separate load for nappy stuff only?
TIA

Edited by Glow
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 9:48pm
glow i dry pail...if it is a pooey nappy i flush the contents (if possible ) then rinse then chuck in the bucket. My whitening agent is the sun.... and the only other things i wash with my nappies are the wipes - oh and gabriels undies if hes had an accident.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Glow Glow wrote:

If you dry pail do you use a stain remover & what kind. If you wet pail what do you use to soak & what detergent do you use in the machine? And how hot? Oh & while I'm asking all these Q's do you do a separate load for nappy stuff only?
TIA

Not sure about dry pailing, but I think some people use either Canesten or Dettol Fresh in the wash cycle as a sanitiser and chuck a few drops of titree oil in their pail to keep it fresh.

I soak mine in Napisan and just chuck them in with the rest of the baby clothes with 1/2 the dose of normal powder plus some dettol fresh and run it thru a cold cycle.

You could always ask our OHbaby! cloth nappy expert, Pippa here
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 8:23am
I only ever soaked her nappies when she was a newborn but this made the liquid poo go right through into the insert and made it a nightmare to get them clean again.

So now we don't soak our nappies, if they're dirty I rinse it off well enough so it's clean-ish then dry pail (plastic rubbish bin with a locking lid) then wash with a hot wash, 1/2 scoop of persil and a few drops of Tea Tree oil to sanitise, if I remember (i.e. very rarely) I put some Eco Store Oxy Whitener in the wash (to get rid of build up if there is any) and we dry them outside or in the garage on wet days.

We've never had any issues with rashes or build up and Caitlin is in cloth 99% of the time, so we must be doing something right
 Post Reply Post Reply