FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJuly 06 Toddlers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 34>
Author
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 9:14pm
Ashlee's day consists of:

Breakfast: one Weetbix mixed with formula milk (at the moment until we buy some blue top stuff) and a bit of jarred fruit swirled in. Bottle of formula.

Lunch: 2 mini Marmite sandwiches (made of one piece of sandwich bread in total), some fruit pieces (be it fresh, or tinned fruit salad), and maybe a small amount of grated cheese. Some days, the sammies will be replaced with a yoghurt and half a marmite cruskit (the cruskit because I don't think the yoghurt is heavy enough to 'fill her up' and she tends to get hungrier quicker with just having yoghurt.)

Dinner: a jar of veges/meat or left overs from our dinner the night before (today it was devilled sausages, carrots and mashed potatoes all mixed together). Her dinner is generally around 4ish, so we'll give her a few bits of brocolli/peas/carrots in her high chair around the time we have dinner so she doesn't think she's missing out

Before bed: 250 ml bottle of formula.

Snacks: between meals, she doesn't often get too hungry, but on the odd occasion she'll whinge for a cracker or a plain biscuit (when we have them in the house!).
Sponsored Links

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 10:23am
Caitlin still hasn't grasped the idea of finger food, perhaps it's due to lack of teeth?!?!

Brekkie: 1 weetbix with formula milk, 200mls bottle

Lunch (her dinner): 1 cup of either last nights dinner turned to mush for her, or a jar of stage 3. The a little jar of the dessert or a yogurt.

Dinner at 4pm: More fruit/yogurt, 200mls bottle

Evening (6pm): peas and chopped carrots on her hair chair tray.

Bed at 7pm after bath: 200mls bottle.

We try to offer her snacks but she's never been one for snacking between meals. But it's usually a cracker, biscuit, cheese slice or fruit

She also drinks heaps of water and juice during the day.

She's been consitent with her weight gain but I'm surprised she hasn't hit the 10kg mark yet. Perhaps she's having too much formula and not enough real food?!!? We have Plunket next Saturday so I'll ask then.

How/when are you guys introducing cows milk?
My plan is to start off putting it in her weetbix, then gradually replace 2 of her bottles with it and leave her bedtime bottle as formula.
I can't wait for her to be off formula and hope that will fix her bowel probs for good and she won't have to take the homeopath stuff forever, but I know the formula has lots more good stuff in it than milk so I'm keeping one bottle a day in her diet.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 10:45am
Erin's food intake usually goes something like this:

Breakfast: 1-2 weetbix, 1 cup yoghurt, then 200mls bottle

Lunch: this varies, usually a cruskit, a couple slices of cheese, mini peanut butter or marmite sammies (made with two bits of bread minus crusts and cut into quarters), and some pieces of fruit... usually either mandarin or banana. About an hour or so later 200mls bottle.

Dinner: Am lazy at this, usually just give her a jar of the stage 3 watties stuff, and then a tin of custard for dessert. Then about 1/2hr before bed another bottle 200mls.

Snacks tend to be pretty random, but she loves those wiggly stick rusk things, cruskits, cheese slices, and fruit.

With her bottles, we have just switched to the toddler milk stuff, and are making her bottles up with 1/2 water and 1/2 cows milk, and then 3 scoops of powder. We will slowly increase this until there is just milk and maybe 1 or 2 scoops of powder.

Edited to add: She has only really just started drinking extra fluids (water or diluted juice) of her own volition - she would drink them before if we offered them to her but not really "ask" for them... now I leave a sippy cup at her level somewhere in the lounge and she will drink from that during the day most days.

Edited by ErinsMama
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 11:16am
Elle's only 10.5 months so I'm being a bit cheeky posting here but I've been wondering about food. Elle has:

Morning Breastfeed
Cereal and fruit (2 tblsp oat cereal + 2 icecubes fruit). This is less than 1/2 a cup in total.

Lunch: Maybe 1/2 a peice of bread with marmite, 1 small can of babyfood (or equivalent amount of homemade stuff)

Afternoon tea - breastfeed

Dinner: Homemade veges and meat, equivalent to 1 small can + 1/2 of a small can of fruit (total is equivalent to 1.5 small cans)
Breastfeed

She has the odd biscuit as well. She won't eat any finger foods unless it's bread or biscuit and she won't do textures. She only has about 1/2 of what some of your babies have.

She also won't drink water...we've been trying for 4.5 months.

She is growing fine so I guess it's ok...?
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 12:19pm

Thanks guys,

We have just been to the GP, Tyrell has a tummy bug and a sore ear AND Broncilitis (so can't spell!)
He is to have antibiotics tomorrow as we have to wait for his tummy to settle, he is not allowed any milk till his tummy settles. Way to cut out the bottles aye......?

So my wee man is finally asleep, I am off to work now as I have had most of the week off with him as his carer has been sick.

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate your help and support.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 6:51pm
sick again? poor lil' guy and no formula?!?!? huh?
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 8:08pm
Get well soon Tyrell
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 9:31pm
You know how all our little ones are starting to drink a lot more water/juice... Well I was wondering, do you ladies think they drink because it's there or because they're really thirsty? I guess I'm interested to know cause it seems Alyssa will drink and drink until her straw bottle is empty if I left her to it (and she also likes those cartons too).. and I remember reading somewhere once about how babies/toddlers shouldn't drink too much water as it can be dangerous...brain swelling or something..

So how do we know how much is too much? Do we actually need to be worrying about this or do they just stop when they know they have had enough?.. I suppose I just want to make sure I'm not depriving her or overindulging her
Deez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 9:37pm
Huh??? Lycan just drinks when he wants too. I just put his cup out in the morning half full where he can reach it and he helps himself...I refresh his drink at every meal time so its not the same drink in his cup all day.

Lycan and Peyton = Moon and back!!
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 10:05pm
It was a while ago I read about it, so just looked up a couple of articles and it's called water intoxication. Something to do with kidneys, and sodium levels in their little bodies...

Anyway, looks like it's more of an issue for under 1 year olds, although anyone can get it including adults... So I guess I don't need to be such a worry wart
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 10:18pm
I wouldn't have thought that you could 'overindulge' them with water! But hmm sounds interesting. Don't know enough about it myself...

Maybe Alyssa just thinks she's so mighty clever drinking out of her straw bottle that it's a novelty thing??! Hehehe
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:44pm

We did small bits of formula but ended up wearing it in our bed last night....yum.
So far today we have had no formula at all, trying to give him small snacks but my boy has just never been a big eater.

He has just had a nap so here is hoping he ends up in a better mood.

That is enteresting Pepsi, I have never heard anything like it. Tyrell is lucky if he drinks more than 20 mls other than formula. Something we are working on!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 4:32pm
Amy - with Tyrell's tummy bug, have they given you any Pedialyte drink to try him on? It tastes a bit yuck (at least to me) but Erin didn't mind it, and that way I knew she was at least getting some kind of fluids when she had her gastro bug. I have some here that you can have if you want as well (about half a litre).
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 4:51pm
Thanks, we were told that he isn't dehydrated(SP?) so no need to use it, Also because of everything else he isn't allowed anything sweet. Which the Gp said that is quite sweet????
Thanks tho, nice gester!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by baalamb baalamb wrote:

Maybe Alyssa just thinks she's so mighty clever drinking out of her straw bottle that it's a novelty thing??! Hehehe

That's exactly what Caitlin is doing. Thinks she Missy Big Girl now she can drink using the carton & straw and will go through 2 of those baby juice cartons a day and some water in her mini pump bottle (she loves that too!)
I'm not worried about it all building up as she nappies are soaked at every change. I used to be able to just change her at feed times, every 4 hours. But now I'm having to change her every 2-3 hours due to her fluid intake
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 8:13pm
Amy - not disputing what your GP has said, but when we went to the hospital we were told that even though Erin wasn't really dehydrated, that it was better to give her the Pedialyte anyway to prevent that from happening, just in case she didn't keep her bottles down or needed more fluid that just her bottles could provide. It is kind of sweet but also has stuff like extra potassium and electrolytes in it as well.

Bought Erin a drinking bottle thing with a flip top straw bit, and she sort of gets it, thinks it is more fun to throw around for now (as she does with most things). There is a 'proper' cup (empty) in her toy basket though which during most play times she will pick up and try to drink from, although I am not so sure it is a good idea to put much / any actual liquid in it just yet (if she is not restrained in her high chair).
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:00am
Hehehe Jax, we have some stacker cups in Ashlee's toybox too and she frequently picks them up and tries to drink from them. Just for fun, I put a tiny bit of water in the bottom of one, and boy did she have fun making a mess of that! It was so funny
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:19pm
I appreciate that you've looked into this with the best of intentions, but I would NEVER knowingly do something that would make my little girl sick. First and foremost, I have checked with my GP - who said that toddler milk is really designed as a supplement to the nutrition they are already getting from their food. Also, on the tin it says that you can use *up to* five scoops of the powder in 175mls of milk or water "to taste". Eventually we plan to wean her onto plain milk, and do not plan to give her the toddler milk long term.
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 8:38pm
*sob* my ticker! my little big girl's going to be one so soon!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 10:26pm
Kirst - birthday? what birthday? I am firmly in denial - although I will probably have to go shopping for wrapping paper tomorrow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 34>