FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWere your parents ’criminals’?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 10:54am

I just had a heated discussion with a couple of the ladies I work with (both have children my age).  They are pro-smacking and think that half the trouble with youths today is that they weren't smacked   I was arguing the point saying that smacking is not an effective form of discipline and that there are other ways to discipline a child which they both disagreed with.  I went on to say that children are so little and yet people think it's ok to smack them and yet if you smacked an adult it would be called assault to which one answered "yes but that's just pc bullocks too"

I think banging my head against a brick wall would be a more useful and enjoyable way of spending my morning tea break.

Sponsored Links

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

They are pro-smacking and think that half the trouble with youths today is that they weren't smacked  

well thats a load of cr*p , my brother was smacked heaps, and given some good whacks with the wooden spoon, and he still was (and still is ) a real pain , he was in court recently for dangerous driving, he does a lot of drugs and is rude and obnoxious ....so I can safetly tell your workmates that his problems had nothing to do with not being smacked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:04am
I think one of the main trouble with youths these days is the ease in which they can get things, and boredom.
And a lack of good role models , tv and the computer (she says as she types away ) are not parents and not role models .

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:16am
lmao that's a great site Jen! Love the messages page, some people are pretty thick huh?

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:26am
I know!

"My parants used to hit and hurt me an I tirnd out good. Wunce my bruther recovid from his head injury, he wus good too."   
And the one about wife beating and the 'hidings-for-tax-cuts'. DH and I were cracking up
I still think the 'sign the petition' page is the best one though- see the names?
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:29am

Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

I think one of the main trouble with youths these days is the ease in which they can get things, and boredom.
And a lack of good role models , tv and the computer (she says as she types away ) are not parents and not role models .

Lack of responsibility and being encouraged to stay kids for too long has a lot to answer to as well. 

I cringe whenever I hear someone say "they're too young to know better" in regards to their toddlers and young children.  IMO they're only too young to know better the first time they do it.  Another pet hate is "they're much too young to be disciplined/put in timeout etc" and then a few years down the track the parents have no control over their children because they've always let them get away with bad behaviour in the past.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:35am

The comments page on the website you posted is cracking me up. 

Such as "That's absolutely outstanding and contains nothing controversial in any way. However I'm a bit confused. I couldn't find a single reference to wife beating, and we all know the benefits of that....
R, Nottingham"

Some people are taking it all very seriously and others are totally taking the piss too.

Edited by MrsMojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:36am
meant to add the lack of responsibility and being babied too long as well , I think those are definetly key factors

I must go look at this site ! sounds funny

Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:44am
OMG, thats hilarious!!!

ETA: I can't believe some of the people who left messages really thought it was a serious site!! Thats fantastic

So, did any of you Welly mums attend the smackathon??

Edited by joshierocks
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:47am
Older generations beleive in alot of really outdated stuff. As we evolve certain behaviours become outdated, they become socially undesirable, unlawful and eventually future generations look back on it and think it barbaric that we ever considered doing it.

Less than a generation ago corporal punishment was acceptable, hopefully smacking is heading in that direction where it becomes a distant, shameful memory very quickly.

I think there seems to be this big lack of responsibility going on when it comes to raising our children. The whole 'it takes a village' idea isn't how we raise our children anymore- everyone seems so quick to blame everyone else. Parents blame the schools, who blame the social workers, who blame lack of government funding etc etc. Its about time people stepped up and started getting their villages back (says she who is completely isolated on the other side of the world ).
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 11:54am

Originally posted by Jennz Jennz wrote:

I think there seems to be this big lack of responsibility going on when it comes to raising our children. The whole 'it takes a village' idea isn't how we raise our children anymore- everyone seems so quick to blame everyone else. Parents blame the schools, who blame the social workers, who blame lack of government funding etc etc. Its about time people stepped up and started getting their villages back (says she who is completely isolated on the other side of the world ).

I totally agree!  Many parents are too busy nowadays to care for their kids and that saddens me so much.  It's great when grandparents or other family members step in and share the load but sadly it seems nowadays more and more families are doing it alone and choosing earning money to spend on things we don't need as more important than working less hours and spending time with our children.  It was highlighted this week in the news article about parents who are dropping their primary school aged kids off to school up to an hour before the gates even open so they can get to work.  Imagine the kind of trouble kids can get into in an unsupervised hour (the ones in the article were playing chicken with cars on the motorway) and lets not forget there are unsavoury adults out there that will see unsupervised children as an opportunity (like the guy that posed as a truency officer).

Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

Originally posted by Jennz Jennz wrote:

I totally agree!  Many parents are too busy nowadays to care for their kids and that saddens me so much.  It's great when grandparents or other family members step in and share the load but sadly it seems nowadays more and more families are doing it alone and choosing earning money to spend on things we don't need as more important than working less hours and spending time with our children.  It was highlighted this week in the news article about parents who are dropping their primary school aged kids off to school up to an hour before the gates even open so they can get to work.  Imagine the kind of trouble kids can get into in an unsupervised hour (the ones in the article were playing chicken with cars on the motorway) and lets not forget there are unsavoury adults out there that will see unsupervised children as an opportunity (like the guy that posed as a truency officer).

Totally agree with both of you.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 5:24pm
I think when you bruise or damage the child, you've gone to far. A slap on the hand or bum is pretty harmless......but I like to think you can do other things instead of smacking.

This is more my stance on it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12