FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedlamb shanks recipes please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lamb shanks recipes please
    Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:33pm
so i brought some lamb shanks in the groceries and now i want to know how to cook them.

so whats your fave lamb shanks recipe?!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:45pm
The most devine lamb shanks ever (and ridiculously easy) - just cover them with heaps of mint sauce and cook them in the crockpot. Mmmmmm
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 6:12pm
my grandmother makes one , with onions and hearty oxtail soup poured over, and a bit of wine, and put in the crockpot,incidentally , thats what i have cooking in the crock pot now , for DF, i dont feel like lamb tonight
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 6:38pm
I like to stick garlic in mine, then coat with oil and sprinkle with salt and roast in an oven bag... simple but nice.
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 8:06pm
I cook them in a roasting dish for 3 hours. I use the Maggi cook in the pot sachets. One each of Lamb Ragout (sp?) and lamb casserole. YUM!!
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 10:56pm
Hi Bizzy

Here's my recipe for Braised Spiced Lamb Shanks:-

Spicy Marinade:
6 lamb shanks (or 4)
1 Tbsp chopped coriander
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 tsp cracked pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 pottle natural unsweetened yoghurt

For Braising:
3/4 cup beef stock
1 Tbsp tomato paste
100 ml dry white wine (optional)
12 peeled baby onions
4 peeled, chopped carrots
12 button mushrooms

Method:
Marinade lamb shanks overnight in fridge. Remove and fry until golden brown with a little bit of oil. Remove from pan and put to one side. Add peeled, chopped vegetables and fry for 2 mins. Then add tomato paste and cook for further 2 mins. Add wine & stock, bring to the boil. Then add sealed lamb shanks.

Place in oven and cook for 2 hrs @ 180 degs C.

Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 10:37am
This is a delicious way to cook lamb shanks - big hit in our home

Ingredients

Lamb Shanks
Flour
Salt and Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup Red Wine
Cranberry Sauce (I use the Ocean Spray thick jelly that comes in jars but any will do)
2 Onions Sliced
3 Cloves Garlic sliced
2 Carrots peeled and sliced
2 cups stock (I use beef)

Method:

Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
Dust lamb shanks with flour seasoned with the salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a frying pan and brown shanks all over
Transfer to a casserole dish and add all other ingredients - make sure you spread the cranberry sauce over the shanks as this makes them all sticky and delicious. Use enough stock to cover the shanks.
Bake 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is falling off the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply