FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilitary Wives and Families

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 1:44pm
Emz, really? Thats interesting. I could have sworn he said he was training for up coming deployment. He was supposed to be going to afghan but that got canned - i believe he is going to the solomons. He's been there once before on a longer tour just after we got together. I probably got my wires crossed re: training for deployment vs training because lying in mud is what they do. I ask little about what he gets up to because i'm not sure i want to know .
Sponsored Links

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 2:28pm
Ah yeah Sollies would be it, DH was there last year. Those deployments are only 4 months though? So that's something that you can look forward to. Have a good friend over there atm, 2nd time in a year (went with hubby last year). Solomons is decent communication as they don't work much, although Skype is a bit slow but still can be used :)
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 6:07pm
Yeah he did a deployement there about 2 months after we started going out a few years ago - he was gone 8 months then and it was a "4 month" as well! He always ends up staying longer, no idea why as i'm pretty sure last time his unit returned but he didnt, he has some kind of special talent
He didnt have skype last time though, i didnt know they do now - thats awesome!!! Hopefully we can juggle so he can 'talk' to DS!
tictacjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tictacjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 7:40pm
Bowie- my DH was his CO's driver, he was first to arrive, last to leave, ended up in Timor for 9mths when everyone else did 6-7mths. Some roles need significant hand-over time.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 8:00pm
Dh's exercise is only for 3 months missing him a lot more this time than I normally do, think being a SAHM we've spent a lot more time together as a family than when I was working full time.

Haven't noticed any difference with DD guess she's too little to understand, hope she's excited when he comes home and doesn't forget him.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2011 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Bowie Bowie wrote:

Yeah he did a deployement there about 2 months after we started going out a few years ago - he was gone 8 months then and it was a "4 month" as well! He always ends up staying longer, no idea why as i'm pretty sure last time his unit returned but he didnt, he has some kind of special talent
He didnt have skype last time though, i didnt know they do now - thats awesome!!! Hopefully we can juggle so he can 'talk' to DS!

Yeah, don't rely on Skype as the connection can be pretty dodgy (funny that being a 3rd world country lol) but it's great for the kids.

It really depends on what he's doing, but Sollies and Timor are very prescribed at the moment (4 months, and 6 months respectively, usually only out by a couple of weeks unless something happens). I know what yo mean though, DH went to Timor at short notice for the riots on '06, supposed to be 1-2 months, came back 6.5 months later just in time for our wedding!

We are having possibly our last Skype session until D gets home tomorrow, sinking in that we're finally going to be a family again and Ava will learn what it's like to have a Daddy around for a while
TrinaL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrinaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:20pm
One of the hardest things is actually when they come home as you have your own little routines and everything your way Then you have to consider another adult and their opinions etc. Even the little things like haveing to share the remoteor him being in the shower when you want it and are used to it always being availiable.
Sometimes kids take a while to adjust particularily older ones when the other parent comes home and it is someone else setting the rules etc and they are used to only one person doing this, especially if the rules are slightly different.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 8:04pm
Dh is due home in a couple of weeks while I'm excited about him being home, I'm also a little nervous of how its going to be.
This is the longest he's been away and at times I've struggled to cope with being the only one taking care of DD.
I guess I'm expecting him to help a lot more when he gets back and not really sure how to get what I need.

How do you adjust when they're home?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
BeLoved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeLoved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 8:22pm
I am not a military wife, but DH and I spend months apart at a time due to his work, and as DD has got older (now 2.5) I have found it harder as she understands he is not there and its her that I worry about as she misses him so much. Our next baby is due in a couple of months and DH will leave to go away with 3 weeks of baby being born and will be gone almost full time for 7 months, goodness knows how it will all go, I know I will cope fine with the practical stuff you just do, but the emotional stuff, missing him, DD missing him and mostly DH missing out on all the new things with the new baby will be hard.

C&J - I find the best way to do it is one day at a time, and don't have high expectations of how it will be as it can be disappointing at times, try to remember that your DH is adjusting to being home as much as you are adjusting to having him home and enjoy it, as someone said above it is hard when you have got set into your own little routines and ways of doing things and living alone as such, but you do get use to it all over again. My DH went away when DD was about 5-6 months old for 2 months and she was soooo excited when she saw him for the first time when he got back, we got in on video and its gorgeous, they do remember their Dad's, she was beaming when she heard his voice. Hope the next couple of weeks go quickly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 8:31pm
We've been able to Skype him a couple of times and DD was excited to see him and hear his voice, not sure how much she understood.

I've managed as well as I can, I've just got on with it really not much else I can do.

Emotional support for myself and as a Mum has been harder to come by.

DD has changed a lot in the time he's been away 3 months is a long time in a baby's life.

I admit the possibility of him being away again over the next couple of years has made me think twice about having another baby as I don't know how well I'd manage with pregnancy and a toddler and then two under 3.

Beloved how have you found it?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:08pm
It takes a lot of adjustment - he needs to blend into the family, not you adjusting to what he wants. There may be a lot of disagreements! DH and I have spent nearly 12 months apart so even after him being home for 7 weeks now, we're still adjusting (doesn't help that I've had no time off with him).

I don't really have much advice, it just kind of 'happens' because you make it work. As for having more kids, you do cope :) DH was away when I had terrible MS with DD (lost 10kg), and I was in hospital with DS for over a month. We still got through but it was tough. I figure if I got through that, I can get through most things!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:29pm
That's true. Has made me want to wait till DD is a bit older before TTC #2.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
BabyRixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyRixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 9:07am
x

Edited by BabyRixon
BabyRixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyRixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 9:19am

Edited by BabyRixon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314