FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbreastfeeding and high IQ!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 8:35am
Jennz if you feel bad about ffding Im sorry but that doesnt mean that the rest of us have to. If you feel like you have failed in any way thats your issue, dont try to tell us we havent done what is best for our babies. Sorry if that sounds harsh but your post just really got my hackles up.

Edited by my2angels
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 8:57am
sorry - edited as i was talking thru a hole in my ****
the delete post button seems to have disappeared!

Edited by GandT
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 9:22am
Totally agree that those are my own issues- it wasn't my intention to make anyone feel bad, just to take responsibility for their choices and not say that scientific studies are rubbish because it doesn't support that choice. I don't feel that I failed- just that I didn't do the best for my baby, which is true.

I also think that it is possible to seperate emotional issues from fact.

I expected it would get hackles up so don't worry about being harsh- I was pretty harsh myself so if I can give it I should be able to take it
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 10:17am
Hey Jennz, I do actually question whether breastmilk is always best. I was on antibiotics before the birth then had god know how many drugs during and after the c/s and then in the three months that I breastfed 38 of those days were also spent taking antibiotics. I don't think all those drugs passing through my milk into bubs would have been doing him much good and they had probably killed off half the goodness in my milk. I know for a fact that antibiotics kill the bacteria in the gut that makes Vit K, and we choose not to give him the Vit K injection (because we believe they are born without it for a good reason) so I was taking alfalfa tabs and probiotics, but who knows what else all those meds killed off, and what that did to his system was probably more damaging than if we had given him formula.

I saw on Dr. Phil that in America you can buy human milk to give to bubs if you are having difficulties yourself. It all gets tested etc first. Maybe that would be the way to go in the future rather than formula.

Mazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 10:36am
To add my 2c worth:

Yes, I agree breast milk is better for babies than formula. No, I don't think formula is evil or bad for babies, it has its place.
I do think that formula is hugely overused these days and there are many, many women who could be breast feeding if they had the right support or encouragement or education or whatever, which is sad in an overall/societal sense.   
However, I also think that there is no way I could ever know all the complicated reasons behind why individual mothers make the choice/need to formula feed, so on an individual level there is no judgement or feeling of 'oh she's not doing the right thing'. All of the mums I know who feed with formula made the decision based on what they thought was best for their babies - who the heck am I to tell them otherwise! We all have to make decisions about raising our kids, it would be nice if the whole 'breast vs. formula' battle could be dropped and we could get on with the job of being mums (and dads). And live in a fairy land with flowers falling from the sky. Sorry - had to lighten the tone there somehow.

I would add that, as a mum who breast feeds, often I do feel like I have to tiptoe around formula users or be overly supportive/enthusaistic towards them when discussing feeding, because they are often so defensive right from the outset. On the flip side, I also notice a lot of 'older generation' women I have met have been very pro-breast feeding and not shy about making inappropriate comments about it, as in 'oh good, you're breast feeding.' Like I need their approval. So I can understand some of the angst/annoyance.

There's got to be a balance somewhere!

Mum to two gorgeous girls!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 10:43am
Well said Mazzy, as I wrote on one of my previous posts I think it would be nice if we all supported each other rather judged each other for our choices.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 10:58am
Yeah cuppeatea it should of said how long you need to bf for for it to make a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12