FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs the media coverage getting to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by CatzKids CatzKids wrote:

NZPIPER:
2 of the guys and the young chick got beaten up really bad in the holding cells under the courts by some gang guys, the policec just stood back and watched - good on them! 

Good job!!

My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

Sponsored Links

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:40pm
wooo hooo.... give them more.....HA HA GIVE THEM MORE!!

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 7:53pm
This is just my 2c worth....but isn't wishing that they would go through the same thing, stooping to their level in a sense? No matter what they did (and I agree that what they did was disgusting plus other words I just can't think of) it shouldn't be a person's perogative to wish violence be inflicted on another person, particularly where that other person is in no way involved with the original offence.

I do, however, wish that the death penalty still existed for those who deserve it (such as these particular people).

ETA: And to be honest, I am just as sickened at the thought of police officers standing back and watching while prisoners are beaten - regardless of how much they deserve it. It makes a complete mockery of what our Police are supposed to stand for.

Edited by minik8e
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 8:10pm
I have to agree with you there Minik8e.

What I also find sad is that once upon a time these terrible people were 2 years old and what happened in their life to turn them into the monsters they are.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 8:39pm
i was reading their defence today. apparently putting Nia on the clothesline and swiging her around was done out of "affection"...WTF? THAT'S your defence????
pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 10:16pm
I feel sick when I read about the court case and what they did so I have had to stop myself reading it. It just upsets me so much.

How anyone can do that I don't know. I remember on the news a shot of the mother at the tangi. The media spoke about how the mother was such a hardworking, caring mother who worked long hours to look after her family and didn't have a clue this was going on blah blah blah. Poppycock!

I hope the lot of them get the book thrown at them!

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

What gets me the most, more than all the horrid (and IMO unnecessary) public recounts of what those animals did to her, is the picture all the news organisations are bandying around of her in the yellow hat with this huge smile. She looks so happy and sweet and innocent and I can't help but think of my own kids when I see it, and think about how lonely and sad she must have felt in her last few weeks of life.

I'm leaving this thread now coz I'm getting upset again

I just read what you wrote Emma - that is so true, such a cute smiley precious girl. I am leaving this thread too.....

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by RachandJack RachandJack wrote:

What I also find sad is that once upon a time these terrible people were 2 years old and what happened in their life to turn them into the monsters they are.

yeah..pity that because of (POSSIBLY ) a cycle of abuse, an innocent child got the brunt of it .
Do we know much about their background yet ? because not all criminals come from bad backgrounds, so I dont want to make assumptions, ...but it just goes to show how important it is to break the cycle of violence

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

i was reading their defence today. apparently putting Nia on the clothesline and swiging her around was done out of "affection"...WTF? THAT'S your defence????

Yes, i must remember that next time Caitlyn wants a cuddle 'no sweetheart ...no hug...but let me show you the clothes line "

I read a witness statement that said she was put up there, fell off , cried and they laughed at her and put her back on .
The other thing I didnt understand was why nobody called the police sooner ...yes i know they were afraid, but you can make anonymous calls, can you not ?

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 7:23am
They have said that the 19 yr old ex-partner of the mother has a developmental age 4-5 years behind his age....so basically that of a 14-15 year old (now - I think he was 18 when it all happened). Why a 34 year old woman with numerous children would want to be in a relationship with someone with that kind of delayed mentality I will never know.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 9:26am

minik8e, I'm not picking on you here so please dont take offence....but.....you say you dont think its right that people fight violence with violence....but you would use the death penalty on them??????  Isnt that a bit contradictory?

I am not necessarily for violence but I just dont think anything should be done to protect them from any violence should it happen....afterall noone protected that little girl.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 9:39am
Yeah I know it sounds contradictory. I just think the death penalty comes about as a result of a trial with statements and facts, it isn't a random unassociated person choosing to inflict violence on another person from what they are believed to have done.

And I think the Police have a duty to protect anyone that is supposedly under their care/protection/responsibility, regardless. Their job is to help and assist people, and deal with justice. Standing back and watching someone be beaten doesn't really go so well with that.

You're right though, no-one protected Nia. Maybe I'm naive, I like to think that karma will get them. I just don't think anyone has right to wish violence on another person.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 10:52am

Maybe deep down, most people are ok with violence if they believe the person deserves it.

Now that is just an observation and a thought about how societies work.   Minik8e, you say you are ok with death penalty if they have been tried and all the facts are out...but not just someone taking the law in to their own hands...and normally I would be inclined to agree with you...so why dont I?  It just got me thinking.

These guys must be real monsters to evoke such a reaction from us.  In other countires it would be black and white...they'd be killed, stoned etc. 

I agree.....go with karma.....and make sure she is MAD!

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 11:14am
LOL I do totally agree with you.

I think the hardest thing about this particular case is that we know so much more, due to the media attention. So far, we haven't actually seen any remorse at all from any of the people who have been charged. One of nature's most basic instincts in most cases, is to protect our young - they are, after all, our future. However for Nia, even though it was obviously long term suffering, and "outsiders" knew about it, by the time intervention came about it was too late. So a complete contradiction to this natural instinct. No one protected her, and she deserved none of it. And for them to plead not guilty, and try to defend themselves, when the facts are really quite cut and dried, is incomprehensible and makes people angrier as the offenders don't seem to care that what they did was revolting and undeserved - so it's hitting people right in the heart.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

Originally posted by RachandJack RachandJack wrote:

yeah..pity that because of (POSSIBLY ) a cycle of abuse, an innocent child got the brunt of it .
Do we know much about their background yet ? because not all criminals come from bad backgrounds, so I dont want to make assumptions, ...but it just goes to show how important it is to break the cycle of violence

Exactly, I'm not saying all bad people have bad lives or all people who have bad lives are bad. But I hate to think that these people are like this for no reason? There is no hope for them now but there is for all the 2 year olds being abused right now.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 6:56pm
In the absence of the dealth penalty I am quite happy for those animals to get prison justice. That probably makes me sound horrible and i'm not normally a violent person but when it comes to peadophiles or child murderers then I just don't care why they did it i want them irradicated from our world.

I still have no sympathy or feelings of leniency (sp?) towards them if they were abused themselves. At some point everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions and not blame it on their own past. Lots of people come through really disturbing childhoods and don't go on to commit these kind of crimes.

I'm also sickened by those that didn't report it, anyone could of anonymously if they were scared. Obviously they were not hiding the abuse so any number of people could have phoned. That part I almost find to be the worse.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 12:42pm
I am inclined to agree with pretty much everything cuppatea said , I tried to be PC and think that it wasnt very good for them to get beaten , but well...Karma's a bitch int it ?
I dont know how I feel about the police standing back , on the one hand I agree with kate on the other I think they deserved everything they got.

And I also agree with the second statement re abusive childhoods etc , they cant blame ALL their actions on their childhood, ...the past can define who you were, but you are responsible for who you become .

And I think its disgusting that nobody reported anything , and yes , you can do anonymous calls if they were too scared , reading witness statements about seeing her 'thrown up on the clothesline ' while the neighbour was out having a smoke ...for fs sake, why weren't you on the phone calling the police?
She was let down by a lot of people .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12