FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’Fat & Obese’ baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Fat & Obese’ baby
    Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:44am
How wrong is this? Calling a baby fat & obese?? She is chubby sure, but she looks lovely and healthy!

Link

I'd hate to think what they'd say about Lilia, she was 10kg+ at 8 months!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
Sponsored Links

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:52am
awww thats sad, I hate to think that people who are supposed to be looking after others children label them like that.

Tho i don't agree with the mother's comment that babies are supposed to have rolls, Caitlyn didnt , she was a skinny little miss

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:54am
Yeah Ollie was a skinny thing too, still is!

I guess all babies are different, but there is certainly nothing wrong with that bub. Or Lily!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 10:24am
How rude!
I can't believe they're allowed to say that about a child, surely there are rules about commenting on a child's weight or appearance?
Poor bubba, she doesn't look overweight. Chubby yes, but nowhere near obese!

OT but WOW at the fingernails on the person feeding her!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 11:00am

OMG that's awful!  The childcare centre (particularly the staff in question) should be providing an apology to that mother.

I'm pretty shocked at some of the comments this article has induced.  Such as:

"Well she does look very chubby and the staff at the centre are just trying to help her lose some weight. The mother should learn to take some constructive criticism and get her child into a weight loss program now, before it is too late. Would she rather her daughter grow up obese or we she rather hear the truth and be able to do something while she still can.

Posted by: Andrew of Eastwood 8:44am today
Comment 38 of 126"

My nephew was so chubby he looked like one of those dogs from the toilet paper ads with his rolls and Michaela was a little buddha but they're both skin and bones now.  The weight just melted off them when they become active.  I hate to be rude to those of you that had skinny babies (I was a skinny baby too) but I think chubby babies are so much cuter.

Someone in the comments said "This is the "obesity epidemic" gone mad" and I agree with that.  We're so obsessed now with all being the same skinny figures and that's actually dangerous too (my 8yo niece who is absolutely gorgeous keeps trying to go on a diet).  IMO as long as you don't constantly feed your children convenience foods and do encourage them to play actively (rather than being couch potatos) obesity isn't going to be an issue.

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 12:01pm
She looks PERFECT! How absolutely ridiculous! *waves fist*

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by caraMel caraMel wrote:

OT but WOW at the fingernails on the person feeding her!

Originally posted by Comment from Article Comment from Article wrote:

Michelin Girl could lose an eye with mum waving her Edward Scissorhands around like that.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. I wonder is this where the depressed babies are too?

And Daph Lily is perfect
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 12:35pm

I thought this was the most pertinent of the article comments:

"can you imagine the girls reaction when she googles her name in 10yrs "

Yes I'd be horrified in the mother's shoes but I wouldn't go running to news outlets...

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

[P  I hate to be rude to those of you that had skinny babies (I was a skinny baby too) but I think chubby babies are so much cuter.

<P class=posted-by

haha , well going off topic, in some cases , yes, in my daughters, no , she was gorgeous . (and still is )

see? cute, and cute ...tho thinking about it now , she wasnt THAT skinny , more long , but certainly no rolls

ahhh, my little bald eagle .....:-)

back to the article, that little girl is very cute , and I love her little ringlets, I hadn't read what people have written , but doesnt surprise me that a man wrote such an insensitive remark , bet he'd change his tune if it was his kid being called fat and obese

Edited by caitlynsmygirl

Kellygirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 6:48pm
I can't believe that the centre actually corrected the mum claiming we didn't call her a "fat beast" we said "fat and obese". As if that is any better!!!!

My little guy is a big boy, he is in the 97th percentile for both length and weight. Yes he is chubby but extremely healthy. I like to say he is Solid Muscle!! LOL
I love my Buddha Baby!

Edited by Kellygirl

scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:18pm
That is shocking - Australians!! (nah just kidding, I love Australians, I just say that in the hope it would never happen here).

My baby is over the 75th percentile for weight (although she's up there for height too, and I note that the baby Olivia in the article is 25th percentile for height).

I was a very chubby baby and now have a healthy BMI of 21, my naturally super-skinny friend was too - I don't think a chubby baby means a chubby adult ("give them a good start", as my Dad would say)

It's sad to think some children are picked on at early childhood centres , the caregivers should love them all equally, they're just babies.

Edited by anakk
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:37pm
Haha My man is 6ft 4inchs so my girls are very long and skinny! (but very happy and healthy I must say) But I'd have to say I wish they were chubby babies. Theres something so cute about Chubby Bubs. The baby in the article is beautiful and although you can only see her top half she looks perfectly normal and healthy to me!

Are we just getting alittle obsessed with this whole obsesity epidemic??? Fell sorry for the poor Mum who is obviously dealing with idiots lol!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:41pm
How completely idiotic and rude of that centre.

Also what idiot says "fat and obese" aren't they the same thing? i think they said fat beast like the kid heard, so not only are they rude but they are liars too.

NeoshasMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 2:06pm
Neosha would have been the same size at that age..... but now she is thinning out so much it's scary lol.

I think that's awful.

Mrs Te Kani ❤️
Neosha 26/5/2007
lovingmummyhood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 8:18pm
Awwwww that's ridiculous! She's cute and I LOVE her hair!!

Slightly OT but Kelly Caitlyn is sooooooo gorgeous!! Bet you can't wait just a few more months for the next one!!
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 11:07pm
Ha Jack was the fattest thing man he was huge, now hes got the skinniest wee legs ever.

Actually me ad my partner were both hugely fat babies and we are both pretty skinny now. Skinny or fat who cares let babies be babies.
 Post Reply Post Reply