FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVB after VBAC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VB after VBAC
    Posted: 11 January 2011 at 4:28pm
Did you need to have an appointment with an OB/GYN?

Thought I could go to birthing clinic this time but mw said not allowed birthing clinic won't do it cos of risk of scar rupture (I know I know it's so ridiculously low it's not worth worrying about). So that got me thinking maybe I might have to see an OB like I did before my VBAC.

I thought a VB after a VBAC would be like any normal VB but seems not quite so

Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 7:22pm
Yea it's ridiculous but you have to, every time. I had c/s then VBAC then two more VBs and still had to have an OB apmt this time.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 7:30pm
oh well, guess I will turn up nod and agree then leave and do what I plan anyway

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:27pm
Yup!!! Doesn't take long!
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 10:02pm
Oh thats interesting! Thought VB after VBAC would be normal, good to know these things!

+1 May 09 Angel
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 9:47am
you dont "have" to do anything.... its not like it will make a difference really or be any different to last time

fadeless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fadeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 12:02pm
As everyone said yes you will be referred with following pregnancies. With my last 3 babies i just rang up and cancelled my OB appointments cuz i could be bothered going. Another reason i didnt go was because baby #3 and #4 were homebirths and they wouldnt have been happy with me if i had told them that was what i was planning.

Edited by fadeless
DD 9 ~ DD 8 ~ DS 7 ~ DS 5 ~ DS 2 ~ DS 14mths ~ DD 3mths
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 1:12pm
If I'm too busy, cos I work part time and study 10 hours a week then I may just not bother going to the appointment. I'm still a bit annoyed I can't go to the birthing clinic, and my mw doesn't do homebirths so I don't have that as an option. Love my mw and would not want to change to one that does.

I just thinks it's really pointless, especially as they could be using those appointment times to see other women about other things. I might even end up writing to the DHB about it if I can be bothered.

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 4:25pm
I guess its cos the scars still there and whether you have had a VBAC or not, so same "rules" apply.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 7:43pm
It is annoying but your uterus is still scarred, you still have a teeny increased risk of rupture so the centres cant take you becsause its "high risk"... I guess they dont have the facilities for dealing ith rupture which I believe is a crash section and high chane of hysterectomy but dont quote me on that... i have severe nappy brain today!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 8:03pm
Yeah I get the risk is still there, but I've read a study that showed you are more likely to have a uterine rupture during a first labour than you are to have a scar rupture during a VBAC so I wonder if it's just over hyped a lot.

I do understand the not being able to go the birthing clinic, especially as the one I wanted to go to is not a small transfer away but I don't get the need for the appointment. What are they going to tell me they didn't tell me last time? Plus like I say I think it's wasting time that could be better spent on other patients, I know women that have had to wait ages to see an OB/GYN for either pregnancy or non pregnancy related things yet they are wasting time going over the same information with women that have already had a VBAC so already know all the risks and protocol. Surely if they wanted to refresh our memory or something they could just make a booklet and get mw's to hand it out and then only refer those women that want to book in for a c/s or who want to see an OB just to have the risks run over again in person. (I'm talking those who've had a VBAC or a second c/s not those that have only had a c/s)

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 8:43pm
Yea I'm with ya on that suggestion. I don't know why they have to, maybe just in case you've forgotten or something - us preggy mothers don't have the best reputation for memory!! Also you'll probably never be able to birth in a birthing centre. I've had a VBAC then two more VB's and still a town hospital won't take me on because they want me in a city hospital. I say my chances of rupture are so, so low that it shouldn't even be an issue. But who cares what I say lol
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 9:00pm
You don't have to have an appointment. The midwife has to recommend you have an OB appointment but you can decline.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:02am
Originally posted by RachandJack RachandJack wrote:

You don't have to have an appointment. The midwife has to recommend you have an OB appointment but you can decline.

Ok cool, I'm not against seeing them if needed I just think it's not only a waste of my time but also a waste theirs to see them just for this when they could be seeing other women who really need to see them.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Originally posted by RachandJack RachandJack wrote:

Ok cool, I'm not against seeing them if needed I just think it's not only a waste of my time but also a waste theirs to see them just for this when they could be seeing other women who really need to see them.

Yeah fair enough. I think the system is pretty good, there are clear guidelines on when mws HAVE to refer but women can always say no and is still entitled to all the facts but from the midwife rather than the OB.
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 2:14pm
I didn't need to see an OB for the baby after my VBA2Cs.... Different strokes for different folks maybe??
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 7:56pm
The mw should still have offered (or perhaps you made it pretty clear you wouldn't go?). Here is the link for when women need to be referred if you are interested.

Referrals
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 12:43am
LOL I probably made it clear I couldn't be bothered but I certainly don't remember her offering
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
 Post Reply Post Reply