FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs this permanent? Advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this permanent? Advice please
    Posted: 08 August 2007 at 9:39am
Hi all. I took Kaleb to the paediatrician and he's been checked out as all fine in 'bottom' area and was told his drop in feeding could be related to this and/or that at 3 months babies tend to have a decrease in appetite and this can be all of a sudden.

He was taking 5 bottles a day (I would offer 260ml and he would take whatever he needed). The last couple of weeks he's wanted 6 bottles a day (initially offered same amount but still not finishing so lowered to 200 or less depending on time since last feed). This week he has woken for feeds and has taken 7 bottles a day (again offering the 200 and taking anywhere from 120+).
Before he upped his number of bottles (but not amount) he was sleeping from about 10.30pm to 5-5.30am but then started waking at around 4. Last weekend he woke 2.30 one night and 1.30 the next.

I had thought this might be a growth spurt but then surely he would be adding an additional bottle not reducing amount but increasing number of feeds?
**Is he likely to go back to what he was doing and possibly sleep even longer? Feed more again?
**Is there anything I can do to help him get back to his original pattern?

Also is it common for babies to 'sip' while they feed? Some of his feeds Kaleb takes a couple of sips then turns head, comes back and takes a couple more sips... This can continue for whole feed.
Sponsored Links

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 11:55am
Haleigh did it for a wee while but she was only on 200ml at that age she didnt go up to 250ml til she was 6months.
She used to just have a little, spit the bottle then want more, she prefered being propped up feeding herself the bottle it seemed to be the only way to feed her without battles.
Her sleeping didnt get affected though she stil slept from 7 - 7.
Im sure he will go back to normal, if he only wants 150 - 200ml it shouldnt be a problem
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 2:57pm
He might start sleeping a bit better when he starts solids and his tummy stays a bit fuller. He might be having a really big growth spurt that lasts a few days.

Sorry I can't really help with the milk thing but I do know Jack was having 8+ feeds a day at that age but he was bf so I'm not sure how much he was having.
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 10:20pm
that is a lot of feed....i got told off at plunket the other day cause i was giving Ella 220- 240mls water (pre mixing formula amount) and was told i was over feeding and that was the cause of obesity yadda yadda....

anyways they do say between 150-200mls a feed...and I know Ella is piggy and will finish whatever bottle is in front of her - d she is doing 3 bottles and at least two BF a day....so a good 1000mls a day easy by time she is done....GO FIGURE on why she is not bigger....

Ella only "sips" if it is water (she doesnt like it) or if she isnt really hungry....and so then i remove boobie or bottle and she doesnt demand it back so she doesnt get it....Im not about to force feed a good feeder.
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 12:01am
Kathryn, do you think he might be ready for some stage 1 baby food? I'm only asking because when I asked Plunket how I would know Sam was ready to start on solid food she said that she would start waking during the night because the milk wouldn't be enough for her anymore? Perhaps ask your Plunket nurse?
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have no idea how much Samantha has at a feed because she is b/fed

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:00am
He mightn't go back to his same routine, but set himself a new one (after the night waking is over, I mean - no-one wants that for a new routine!).  They like to wait until we're good and settled with the routines we have with them, then they blast us out of the water with a brand spankin' new one! 
Andie
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 12:33pm
Yeah they are always changing their routines. I would wait until he is 4 months before starting solids but that doesn't seem to be too far off for you guys.
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 2:10pm
Thanks everyone.
Plunket told me that 5 bottles a day at 240mls (water) was fine. And yeah wouldn't worry if he was wanting at least 150ml its just sometimes he's taking only 80 then 100 at next feed...
Yesterday afternoon he took 200ml at 3.30 then woke from nap and wouldn't settle so I offered him a 60ml bottle which he took in about a minute (5pm) then wouldn't go back into his cot so kept him up, bathed him and offered him his usual feed and he took 80ml of that. At 10 when he woke he took 120 then slept through til 6 this morning. So without tempting fate maybe he's getting into new/old routine and doing his own form of cluster feeding?
 Post Reply Post Reply