FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBabes Fantastic Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 7:19pm

ooh i'm interested in some merino, say 1.5m in both boys stripy colours and girls  stripy colours. Already have bags for both but pjs and leggings would be good. (good ole grandma and her sewing machine!!)

Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 7:47pm
Hi Lisa,
The two stripys I got were orange and black (so cool), and green and grey. Theres also white, grey, black and dark blue that I've brought so thats all I remember (I only have a boy ). I'll havta check out what other ones they have when I go in next and let you know, sweet? PM me your cell number and I can let you know whats available while I'm in town. It'll mean end of next week you should receive it
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 7:54pm
Hey Babe, you are AMAZING!! I'm so inspired! I really need to teach myself how to sew.
What do you use to clean your Oven? I used baking soda the other day and sprayed it with water and left it over night, it got off some of the grease but not all of it, what would you suggest?
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 8:05pm
i am so inspired. i want to pick your brain what do you do for your cloth nappies? We have been soaking in nappysan but it is sooo expensive!! i am a germ killing obsessive person though so havent tried anything else.
kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 8:13pm
Thanks for the great tips Babe! I might also be interested in merino, but need to source a sewing machine {and sewing skills!} first

Little Angel, April 10
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by angel4 angel4 wrote:

what do you do for your cloth nappies? We have been soaking in nappysan but it is sooo expensive!! i am a germ killing obsessive person though so havent tried anything else.

best sanitizer is the sun...
i have used ti tree oil in the past in my wash... also baking soda and vinegar. you dont need to soak nappies to kill bacteria.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 9:16pm
Baking soda sprinkled in your oven & then spray with vinegar.

Babe...might come out to Shannon for coffee...we can hit the merino shop!

Will PM you when I get back.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 9:29pm
You have inspired me to do something with pears and jars!!! I unfortunately don't have your skills though so need to ask what I am sure is a silly question but how would I preserve pears and how long would they keep for? Would the benefits over shope brought pears in a can (ie the watties ones - juice not syrup) just that they would have no preservatives? Where do you buy preserving jars from?
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 9:36pm

Edited by Babe
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 9:55pm

Edited by Babe
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 10:01pm
Kriss I got a basic brother sewing machine for my birthday last year and taught myself how to sew at christmastime. For people who are learning I'll post a sweater pants tute. I looked for one on google but they make it way more complicated than it needs to be!!!
Jam08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 10:32pm
Hi Babe

Just wondering if you could tell us where you get the merino from. I'm from down south also and would be keen to go look if it is local.

Cheers
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 8:41am
Jojo its the Levana factory in Levin so people from palmy and wgtn could trip up or down quite easily. They have a HUGE amount of material cottons and all sorts (if anyone from outside the area wants sweatshirting material there all sorts of colours!!) they make the material out the back then they have the shop at the front with seconds, cutoffs and some firsts too. I just got 4 metres of seconds merino for $40 (I don't know whats wrong with it it looks perfectly fine to me!) and an offcut metre of blue 100% cotton for 50 cents which will make a sweater for Jake I love a bargain!!!!!

Where d'u live? If you're close to me maybe we could catch up?
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 9:16am

Edited by Babe
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 10:49am

as requested  

Yoghurt and egg conditioner-for oily/flyaway after shampooing whisk together  5tbls natural yoghurt & 1 egg massage into scalp. Leave on hair for a few mins then rinse.

Egg and coconut conditioner-all hair types. Heat 2tbls coconut oil. Then add 1 beaten egg and 1tbls vinegar. Massage into hair while still warm. Keep your hair covered for 30mins with a steaming towel, shampoo then rinse.

Hair rinse- Rosemary is easy to get hold of and makes your hair shine. Make it like a pot of tea, boiling water some rosemary leaves leave it to steep (u can gently simmer it too if you like) and after shampooing rince your hair with it, pour it through, catch what comes out and keep repeating until you've had enough or your arms are tired! Don't rinse it out let it dry naturally for a nice shine.  

sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 11:39am
I have to agree with you babe on the make your own pasta sauce its much cheaper its also way healtheir have you seen how much salt and sugar they add to that stuff its unbelievable.

I also agree with the vege garden it doesn't have to be big there is nothing better than the satisfaction gained from eating something you grew out of your garden plus you can control what you put on it. On that note i have been playing around with neem granules this year and they are great pest control on brassicas you just need to apply it once a month.

That fabric shop sounds fab wish we had that here I have a sewing machine that doesn't get much use i must drag it out again and have aplay i have so much fabric ( once upon a time i was going to make a quilt) maybe i should do something with it.

Ohh you have highland cows i so love those animals. Hey whats the coat like is it coarse or soft i always wondered.

One of the most important tips for shopping for vege and fruit is buy wahts in season its always cheaper.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 9:43am
Thanks Selina will def be trying all your suggestions!!

Sweetpea I'm horrified at the amount of crap that goes into processed food! I've always been fascinated by the amish simple lifestyle so while some things aren't possible (like going without a car! or my computer!!! or my dishwasher!!!!!) I enjoy the natural way of living. The one thing I'd really like that I can't have right now is a milking animal - fresh milk is soooooo delish!!! We used to have fresh milk when I was a kid and I miss it!

Highland coats are soft AND coarse lol the body coat is coarser but weirdly enough still quite soft and their faces are so soft! When I'm helping halter train the calves I get to give them lots of cuddles and over christmas we hand-reared a couple in our backyard which was hilarious. Jake used to play in his paddling pool and you'd have the dogs climbing in and out with him and the calves drinking from the edges too. I had to keep them from climbing in though coz they're still alot bigger than my baby.

I'll try neem granules then. Its been abit of a fight in the garden this summer with the pests (on top of the dogs that bury bones under my veges, the chickens that think my garden is there for their sole pleasure and the toddler that digs the poor seedlings up with his spade in an attempt to copy daddy!) so good to gather as many tips as possible so that I actually get some veges out of the garden this year!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 10:22am
my husband is a big believer in companion planting to combat pests...and marigolds look so pretty among the veges.
we have been using a bokashi bucket for our food scraps lately and hubby has used the compost to extend the garden....
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 12:24pm
Oh Bizzy I love companion gardening! Anything you can tell me would be avidly read!! I've been slowly creating a pottager type garden so we have nasturtiums, chamomile, pots of mint etc in our garden but I only started this garden over christmas (we brought our place in July/August but got so battered by the storms that the garden went down the priority list ) so I'm still working at it. Please post as many gardening tips as you can pleeeeeaaaaasssseeee????!!!!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 5:53pm

Edited by Babe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>