FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBabes Fantastic Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 11:32am

Edited by Babe
Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 11:45am

Edited by Babe
Katep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 1:08pm
You should have your own tv show. This is waaayy better than 'money man' as EVERYONE can do this stuff.

I am awaiting my very first loaf of bread to come out of the oven. Made pizza bases the others day....YUM. And have even made homemade pancakes (instead of driving to McDonalds) on lazy sunday morning. YUM TOO.
Will try the muslei bars once supo is open tomorrow.

Mum to the Gorgeous Leah!
              7 months
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 2:24pm
Which loaf of bread did you do??

Tip for the no-knead bread - don't overcook it and cover it (while still in the breadpan) with a clean teatowel which should soften the crust abit. Our fave is def the knead white bread mmmm but they're both good. The thing with the no-knead is that you can adjust it to make what you want i.e fruit bread - add raisins/mixed fruit/whatever and allspice just mucking around til you get the desired result.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 2:56pm

Edited by Babe
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 2:58pm
Just keep in mind when going shampoo-free that as the seasons change, so does your hair. You may need to change your routine frequency every 3-4 months. (Ie, if you washed twice a week, you may need to change it to once).
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 3:07pm
Sugar wax recipe:

1 cup sugar
Half a lemon for the juice
1/4 cup honey
Cornstarch (to powder with for tautness making it more effective)
Something to spread the mixture with like a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, cheese spreader or spatula.
Cotton fabric (a pillowcase ripped into strips is good)

Mix lemon, sugar, and honey in a bowl. Microwave on high for about 2-3 minutes, until it bubbles into a smooth consistency. Otherwise heat on the stove. If you use the stove use LOW heat. Wait until it cools a little down so you can touch it safely. Microwave it for 20 seconds if its cooled too much. It needs to be cool enough not to burn and warm enough to spread fairly easily.

Make sure your legs or where ever is clean and dry. Then dust area with cornstarch which draws out oil and makes the whole thing more effective. Spread a thin layer on your leg. Cover with a strip of fabric, and rubbing the strip the opposite way of hair growth, about 3 times.

Grab the fabric end and pull it off very quickly against the direction of the hair growth or the other way if you wish. It will hurt but the more you do it the less painful it is - just like waxing. Reheat the mix if it gets too hard to spread. This stores for a long time. Remember that each time you use it you'll need to reheat it so store in a microwave safe container.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 3:19pm
Liquid handwash from Dear Wendyl NZWW

250ml boiling water
1tbsp grated sunlight/pure soap
2tsp glycerine (toothpaste aisle in new world is where I found it)
2tsp rosewater

Melt soap in boiling water then stir in glycerine and rosewater. Pour the mixture in a soap dispenser while still warm and it'll set, ending up with a jelly-like texture.

I was using another recipe using borax but I think this will be kinder to my hands! I haven't tried it yet but I have a full day coming up where I'll be making this, washing liquid, shampoo balls and cleaners so will let y'all know what I think.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 3:51pm
Homemade deodorant

3 Tablespoons shea butter
3 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
2 vitamin E oil gel caps (puncture and squeeze out the oil) (I used EPO capsules )
Essential Oil (I used vanilla)

Melt all the ingredients (except the oils) and give it a good stir. Takes about 30 seconds in the microwave. Then add the oils, stir again, and pour it in a jar, then place it in the fridge to set.
I found this on the net somewhere and wrote it down but its good!

I really want to try this one but I havta source coconut oil first! I tried with jojoba I think but hmmm not so succesfull...

Coconut oil
baking soda
arrowroot powder or cornstarch

Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder. I use about 1/4 cup each. Then slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon until it maintains the substance you want. May need to be stored in fridge.

Edited by Babe
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 5:08pm
Katep howd your bread go?? I always make extra pizza bases and freeze them and do the same with pancakes and crepes and pikelets. Just separate them with baking paper. Means its easier to haul out, heat and serve when you want something special but don't have time.

We do have bigger bills (vets, etc) and a credit card and qcard debt (we each brought a card debt into the relationship ) but we've now set it up so everything gets the minimum payment then when one is paid off we add the $10/$20/whatever amount we were paying on that to another bill so it goes from say $10 to $20 a week or even more. Then thats an extra $20 we put on something else when the second bill is paid and so on. So far we've paid off 3 big bills, have 2 plus the two cards left and everything will be paid off by June. We just add all the money we can into our bill account and portion it out from there.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 5:42pm
Baking Soda Mouthwash

Mix 500ml of water, 1/4 Teaspoon of baking soda or Sea Salt, 1 drop of Pure Peppermint Oil, and 1 drop of Tea Tree oil. It leaves a great refreshing minty taste in your mouth and helps prevent bad breathe.

The Honey Milk Baby Lotion

For a lotion that you can refrigerate and use for up to a week, you will need ˝ cup of runny honey and ˝ cup of cream or milk (cream being the best option). Pour the honey into the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir until the two are completely blended. Allow the mixture to stand for five minutes before placing in a glass jar with a lid and refrigerating. When completely cool, it will be ready to use.

Baby wipe recipes -

1 chamomile tea bag
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon baby bath or shampoo
1 drop lavendar oil
1 cup hot water

OR

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons baby wash
1 1/2 cups water

OR

Two camomile tea bags
Two teaspoons of almond oil (or baby oil)
A drop of some essential oil.
Two mugs of water

Mix together and spritz onto babys bum or use in like a huggies containers and pop your cloth wipes in there too.

Oatmeal baby bath -

Blend up a bag of rolled oats then sprinkle a handful or so into babys bath and mix.
I do this for Jake (especially during summer when he would get so many bug bites!) and his skin is so soft!!! It relieves itching and good for dry skin, eczema, diaper rash, chicken pox, etc.
I actually add it to my baths too on the odd occasion I have them If you don't want the mess then put the oats in a cotton bag and hang under the tap. Squeeze every so often to release the milk into the bath.

For diaper rash try using ground slippery elm as a dusting powder (slippery elm is great for kids who get abit blocked up too) and of course cornstarch/arrowroot is a great baby powder substitute if you use it. Add dried, crushed lavender for a soothing scent. I used it for Jake when he was a baby.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 5:48pm
Bloody hell woman, you're a legend
Mum to two wee boys
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 5:53pm
have I done too much posting?? Sorry if I have I've just got so much info and I'm having a real lazy day so thought I'd just potter on with it!
I'll stop if its too much. I don't mean to take over - other people can post their tips too!!

Edited by Babe
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 6:40pm
Noo don't stop! This is great! Over the holidays I'll be making bread, muesli bars and ginger beer, and when my cleaners run out I won't be buying more.
With the washing gunge, do you do a warm wash? Just that I made a similar type thing several years ago but found I had to do a warm wash or it gunked up the machine. It didn't have borax in it though, maybe that makes a difference?
Also, how do you use the homemade deodorant?
And (sorry so many questions) ..
Originally posted by Babe Babe wrote:

Oatmeal baby bath -

Blend up a bag of rolled oats then sprinkle a handful or so into babys bath and mix.

What do you blend with rolled oats?
Can't believe how many great ideas you have..please keep them coming :)

Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 6:42pm
This is GREAT! Keep posting away.

Although DH looked at me as if I was mad when I suggested going to the saleyard and buying a cow to be butchered. I got big puppy dog eyes and a speech about how he couldn't kill a cow - this as he's cooking a nice juicy piece of scotch fillet!!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 7:17pm
Ok glad people are actually reading and enjoying

Genie I just use my fingers then rub any excess into my hands. I know that homemade deodorant can irritate different peoples skin so if you start getting a rash or whatever then stop using it k.

I mean put the rolled oats in the blender and grind them to dust pretty much. Sorry wasn't clear on that. You can add dried lavender to the blender for a sleepy scented bath though actually!

LOL BecM that cracked me up! Typical man we had beautiful homekilled steaks for tea too DP decided he needed red meat and since I was threatening to defrost some soup coz I don't feel well he offered (all noble and self-sacrificing of course ) to cook dinner!

I guess the whole animal thing is a little more difficult when you're new to it. I suggest starting with a sheep or lamb and going from there if that helps

I have some tried and true herbal remedies for all sorts too which I'll post if anyone is interested??
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 7:26pm
yes pleae I'll take a herbal remedy or 10 lol what ya got?
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 8:13pm
Well I kinda jumped the gun on that!! I went looking for my book where I keep all my recipes and remembered that I'd given it to my mum while she had Jake I will post them but it'll be Tuesday.

For now drink lots of honey & lemon drinks, get some fortacold and take garlic capsules and vit c if you're fighting off a cold or flu!
Beware that garlic lowers blood pressure for all those who are preggers and already have low BP.

Edited by Babe
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 8:18pm
Definitely in the keep posting brigade
Mum to two wee boys
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 8:25pm
Yay! After doing so many posts I was abit worried it was overkill. Please share your experiences with the recipes and ideas, also what you might change or whatever.
If you've got any questions ask, I have a recipe or idea for pretty much anything I'm a homemaking geek!
And of course feel free to post if you're enjoying the ideas so I know I'm not posting to myself
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>