FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour recommended time to have a baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 7:21am
I have a 17 month gap and was youngish when I had them (19 and 21). Its hard work at the start and you don't get a lot of sleep. Jack handled it really well and there wasn't too much trouble with jealousy. Its really paying off now they are 2 and 3. They play really well together and are both into the same things.

Sponsored Links

Madiandmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 8:43am
That sounds good. Well DD is 6months now so that would make for a 15month gap..What kind of support did you have when your second was born? As I have just moved and don't really know many people. And i'm pretty sure I will be needing an extra hand!

Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 10:12am
On the season issue, I really liked having a newborn in January/Feb as the night wake ups and feeds are a lot easier to deal with when it's summer and warm than in the middle of winter. Warm days also make it easy to get out of the house and go for walks when bubs is unsettled.
Two little girls under 2!

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 10:38am
My first was born in July and it was definitely an effort to keep things warm and my power bill made me cry lol my second is due next Feb so I'm hoping it'll be easier allround.

I didn't want my kids too close together coz a. I wanted to really be able to enjoy each stage and b. I wanted to be sure I didn't overload my body. I had hyperemesis with my first (violent vomitting for 9 months) and since I know I don't handle lack of sleep so good I wanted to make sure I didn't go from an exhausting pregnancy to sleepless nights to an exhausting pregnancy AND sleepless nights!!

I know a couple of young mums (under 20) and one of them are lazy, selfish and I'm so sad for the life her kids will have, but I also know a young mum who has a wonderful husband and daughter and you wouldn't know shes only 19. Shes mature and cheerful and responsible and her hubby and daughter adore her. I really think its the attitude you have that defines you, not your age.
ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 10:44am
#1 May - hated it as it felt like the walls in my house were closing in on me as I had trouble getting out with baby due to the cold weather.
#2 October - loved it as the weather was improving and by the time summer came round we had good routines in place. Also carried through winter.
#3 January - OK but too hot to be nursing a baby - felt like I had a hot water bottle on me.

Gap between #1 and #2 is 3 and a bit years and #2 and #3 is 2 and a bit years. Both had pros and cons really but like some others we took longer to conceive #2 so sometimes you just can't "plan" it.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Madiandme Madiandme wrote:

That sounds good. Well DD is 6months now so that would make for a 15month gap..What kind of support did you have when your second was born? As I have just moved and don't really know many people. And i'm pretty sure I will be needing an extra hand!

I used to stay at my parents for one night a week and I had playgroup that we went to. I think something like playcentre would be great if you didn't have heaps of support. Your DD would be settled in before baby arrives and then you can go along when you feel like crap and all the other Mums can help out with your DD or baby.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 6:26pm
I haven't had these two yet, but I'm finding being more heavily pregnant over winter great, because I'm so freaking hot!! I sweat through the nights and our house isn't exactly warm!! I don't think I would be able to do it in summer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 7:35pm
Lots of great ideas there guys! Rachandjack- I think thats a brilliant idea! I do have my dad down here. I think you've all talked me into braving a local playgroup. Of course I will post my experience. Babe- When I was trying out the young mum course I found myself pitying some of the children there as there mothers seemingly dumped them on friends and family just to get drunk! Others just plain disrespected their children often neglecting simple needs. These are the ones that give the bad name to the rest of us!

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 11:52pm
we will have a 2 year age gap here originally I wanted to start trying when Megan was around 9 months but my husband felt it was too soon...

Megan was born at the end of spring this baby is due at the beginning of summer.

ButterflyMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterflyMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Madiandme Madiandme wrote:

Lots of great ideas there guys! Rachandjack- I think thats a brilliant idea! I do have my dad down here. I think you've all talked me into braving a local playgroup. Of course I will post my experience. Babe- When I was trying out the young mum course I found myself pitying some of the children there as there mothers seemingly dumped them on friends and family just to get drunk! Others just plain disrespected their children often neglecting simple needs. These are the ones that give the bad name to the rest of us!

Oh let us know what one you try would love to know how you get on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 6:39pm
I'm trying te south Taranaki Parents centre. They have a young mums group there so i'm gonna brave that!!
And if I enjoy that (hopefully) I may also join the usual playgroups too. They also have a committee thing too so might even go that far if I enjoy it.. Fingers crossed!!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:40pm
We had a summer baby and it was horrible - 35+ degree days in 2008, we really struggled to keep him cool. Plus the last thing you want to do is hold a sweaty newborn all day! I hated being pg over Xmas too, I soaked my feet (which were so swollen) in buckets of ice cold water all day long and just sweated like a pig

This time around will be an end of winter baby which I'm looking forward to. Will be up enough that I'll be able to keep the fire going 24 hours so thats good. And by the time I'm ready to get back into normal life, the days will be getting longer and the mornings lighter

Oh and a 19/20 month age gap, which I'm hoping will be great down the track.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12