Craft: make cosy beds for tiny dolls
Gemma Adams shares how to sew cosy beds for tiny toys.
You will need
- Wool or cotton wadding (from Spotlight)
- Embroidery thread and needle (Spotlight)
- Fabric (from The Fabric Store)
1. Cut the wadding to the size you’re after. Our bed was 14cm long x 9cm wide and the pillow was 5cm x 3.5cm. For the bed we cut the wadding 21cm wide and folded it into thirds, and for the pillow we cut the
wadding 10cm wide and folded it into thirds. Next cut two pieces of fabric for each bed, as big as the wadding but with a 1cm seam allowance for three edges and a 2cm seam allowance for one of the
2. Pin together the fabric pieces for each pillow and bed with right sides facing. Sew round three edges, leaving one short edge open. Snip the excess threads and the two corners, then turn right-side out.
3. Once round the right way, stuff in the folded wadding, making sure it gets right to the corners and sits evenly.
4. Neatly tuck in the excess fabric on the open edge and sew closed. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with both beds and pillows.
5. Using a measuring tape, or by eye, pin positions for the tufting ‘dimples’ on each bed. At each position, sew through all the layers with embroidery thread, returning to the front of the bed and securing the ends of the thread with a knot.
Your beds are now ready for your little ones to enjoy with their tiny friends!
Styling and photography: Gemma adams @blackbirdgoods
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 49 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW