Thanks to our Face book friends for their family friendly ideas of what to do in Nelson.
1. Kaiteriteri: This is a beautiful part of Abel Tasman with a golden sand beach and activities for the whole family, such as mini golf, playground, bush walks, kayaking. Such a tranquil place to visit.
2. Little Trains at Tahuna. It's a miniature scale train that families can ride on, which runs each Sunday and public holidays. Great fun for kids of all ages and really good value for money! And you can even have birthday parties there.
3. Natureland Zoo. This is based in Tahunanui at the beach, not too far from the trains. They have a lot of different farm animals that families can interact with.
4. Founders Park: This is a historic park that showcases Nelson's heritage and is a great day out for the whole family where you can learn heaps.
5. The Brook Sanctuary: This is a bird sanctuary just minutes from Nelson city. It is a tranquil place with a couple of walks where you can take in nature at its best! There are plenty of birds and an information centre where you can learn about the different birds/wildlife.
6. Nelson Museum: A great place to take kids to learn about Nelson’s heritage.
7. Queens Gardens: Based on Hardy St in the centre of Nelson, there's heaps of room and plenty of ducks to feed!
8. Beach Cafe: This is a brilliant, child-friendly cafe in Tahuna at the beach. This cafe is a must — the food and atmosphere are great. And you can watch the kids on the playground while you relax.
9. Rabbit Island: A recreation area with lots of good picnic spots, cycle and walking tracks, a popular beach for swimming, kite boarding and building sand castles.
10. Action Center: Good family attraction for those odd rainy days (yes it does rain in Nelson/Tasman), with bowling, mini golf, indoor courts and playground.