When Franny McInnes starting selling homemade breast pads on Trade Me in 2004, her plan was to use her hobby to make a bit of pocket money while looking after her new baby. Fast-forward 13 years and now Breastmates - a one-stop-shop for new parents - has grown into one of New Zealand’s most loved maternity brands (winning Gold in the 2016 OHbaby! Awards for best Maternity Range).
Franny thinks mums-to-be and new mums should also look close to themselves for inspiration when they’re putting together their pregnancy wardrobe. “Your pregnant bump is amazing, and the changes that happen to your body should be celebrated, not hidden away under clothing that swamps you,” she advises. “Invest in maternity clothing in fabrics, colours, and patterns that flatter your new curves and that you actually like wearing.”
Franny shares her top five tips for a maternity wardrobe that combines form and function.
1. Choose functional and practical clothing that makes you feel good and flatters your pregnant figure, but provides good value for money.
2. It’s tempting to just buy cheap oversized clothes to get you through, but you’ll feel like you’re wearing a tent. Don’t do it! You deserve to feel gorgeous!
3. If you can only afford a couple of new items, go for clothing that is designed to suit your changing body – maternitywear that will grow with you, and will get you through each stage of pregnancy and early motherhood.
4. A well-designed maternity dress can be accessorised for different looks – wear it with tennis shoes and a scarf for a casual look, or dress it up with low heels and a sparkly necklace for an evening out.
5. My must-haves for a capsule maternity wardrobe are a couple of good pregnancy tops with discreet openings for breastfeeding, jeans with an elastic waistband that feel comfortable on your bump, a maternity dress you feel fabulous in, and a skirt or shorts you can wear casually. Breastmates clothing is great to mix and match, so you can get a number of outfits out of just a few well-chosen garments.
Pictured clothing all available at breastmates.co.nz.