An easy dessert with a big wow factor. This recipe is from Sarah Bowman, as printed in Sweet: Treats to Share.
1 cup hot espresso (strong coffee)
1 cup Marsala
2 eggs, separated
½ cup sugar
250g sponge fingers
3 tbsp good-quality cocoa
1. Mix the coffee and Marsala together.
2. In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks, sugar and mascarpone until pale and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the mascarpone mixture.
4. Dip the sponge fingers into the coffee mixture until they are super-saturated. It doesn’t matter if they fall apart as you put them into the glasses. Place two in each serving glass.
5. Top with 2 tablespoons of the mascarpone mixture. Dust with a thick layer of cocoa, then repeat once more.
6. Chill until ready to serve, or overnight.
Reproduced with permission from Sweet: Treats to Share. Published by Penguin Group NZ. RRP$45. Copyright recipe © Sarah Bowman, 2014. Copyright photography © Manja Wachsmith, 2014. Available nationwide.
For a recipe from the same book for Gluten-free lemon orange meringue pie click here.