Thanks to Holistic Health Coach Carly Shankman for the tips below:
Busting those sugar cravings and getting off processed food is all about getting adequate protein and fats to keep you full, satisfied, and burning ketones instead of glucose. If your body is used to burning sugar as fuel, it will continue to do so until you teach it otherwise…
1. Coconut Oil (Fat) – Definitely my favourite oil to cook with and add to green smoothies. Coconut oil is a unique saturated fat because it is chalked full of medium-chained fatty acids which are easy for the body to convert into fuel. Remember “saturated” just means the oil is typically solid at room temperature. Saturated oils are the ONLY oils safe to cook with.
2. Eggs (Protein) – To me, eggs are the perfect food. They contain everything needed to sustain life – protein, antioxidants, minerals, and B vitamins – including Choline, which is a rock star! Choline is essential for the liver and gallbladder to emulsify fats. Choline also helps aid brain function in adults by maintaining the structure of brain cell membranes and acts as a precursor to neurotransmitters. If you are looking for foods that bust your sugar cravings, eggs are a no-brainer. I eat mine every morning cooked in coconut oil along side some avocado.
3. Kombucha – Kombucha is a carbonated probiotic drink full of enzymes, minerals, and essential vitamins. However, the nutritive qualities are not the only thing to brag about. This drink is great for you digestive system, helping you break down food and re-populate your gut with healthy flora. After the fermentation process, where the good bacteria turns sugar into nutrients, there is some residual sugar left over which makes this drink a semi-sweet treat.
4. Almond Butter: Nut butters (including almond, cashew and pecan butter) are great because of their high protein and fat content. Protein and fats are the keys to keeping you satisfied, happy, and out of the cookie jar. I tend to stay away from peanut butter because peanuts are a common food allergen for a lot of people. Choose almond, cashew, and pecan when possible.
5. Frozen Fruit – My favorites: Frozen grapes & frozen bananas sliced with a little almond butter. Pure bliss!
6. Green Smoothies – GREENS MAKE YOU CLEAN! Pack your blender full of your favorite greens and watch as your body magically begins to clean itself out.
7. Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes are a slightly more complex carbohydrate than regular potatoes with a far greater nutrient profile. This means they break down slower and don’t cause the blood sugar spike that you have to worry about with white potatoes and other simple starches. I love them because you can make them sweet, savory, salty, WHATEVER! Delish.
8. Avocados (Fat) – Avocados are a great source of healthy vegetable fat. It is rare to find fatty vegetables and fruits in nature, which makes avocados a real delicacy! Put together with eggs for a match made in heaven.
A word about artificial sweeteners: THEY SUCK. No really, when looking to steer clear of sugar please, please do not replace it with articial sweeteners. They quite simply are a toxic storm of chemicals. Not for your beautiful body, my friends.
Read more of Carly's words of food wisdom here.