Fettuccine with smoked salmon, dill and capers
800g fettuccine pasta
1. Place the fettuccine in a large pot of salted boiling water.
2. Add a drizzle of olive oil, the boil the pasta according to packet directions, moving it around with tongs so that it doesn't stick together.
3. When pasta is cooked to "al dente" (firm to the bite) consistency, remove from heat and drain in a sieve. Run sieve with pasta under cold water to stop the pasta cooking further.
Smoked salmon with dill and capers
10ml (1/2 tbsp) olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
20g (2 tbsp) dill
200g smoked salmon
250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
250ml (1 cup) white wine
350g (11/4 cup) fresh cream
Zest of one lemon
50g (21/2 tbsp) parmesan cheese
1. Place the olive oil in a large frying pan and heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry lightly until soft but not coloured. Add half of the capers, half of the dill, and 50g of the smoked salmon and cook for three minutes. Add chicken stock and white wine and cook on high heat until it reduces to about 250ml or one cup. Add the cream and lemon zest, then stir and wait until the liquid is quite thick, like a sauce.
2. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the rest of the salmon, capers, and dill. Add the fettucine and toss through with tongs. Finally, add the parmesan and mix through until the sauce lightly coats the pasta and there is none pooled in the bottom of the pan. Serve hot.