Better than a batch of oatmeal cookies, these sweet cereal balls are filled with wholesome ingredients. Almond butter, for example, is high in calcium, protein, magnesium, and vitamin E; rolled oats add fibre. The brown rice cereal imparts a satisfying crunch.
Almond Butter Cereal Balls
Makes about 12 balls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 to 2 minutes (plus 15 minutes refrigeration time)
⅓ cup agave nectar or honey (for babies over 12 months only)
1/4cup almond butter
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup crispy brown rice cereal
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup raisins
1. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the agave nectar, almond butter, and butter and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cereal, oats, and raisins.
4. Drop the mixture by tablespoons onto the baking sheet.
5. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving.
Storage: Leftover cereal balls can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Recipe from Fast & Fresh Baby Food, by Jacqueline Burt Cote