Thanks to our Facebook friends for their family-friendly ideas for things to do in Palmerston North and Manawatu.
1. Victoria Esplanade (has heaps of things often we only do one at a time)
- Feed the ducks
- talk to the native birds
- paddling pond
- bike rides
- Scenic Railway rides
- Rose gardens
2. Marriner Reserve Miniature Railway (Alternative weekends). Click here.
3. Memorial Park: Paddling pool, Park and Bikerides and ducks!
4. Palmerston North City Library: loads to do, books, videos, music days, video game systems (and Wifi). Branch libraries have heaps going on too!
5. Riverside Walkway along the Manawatu River: Bike, walk, run... lovely and more ducks at intervals
6. Monarchs In Apollo Park: This is a developing butterfly park, a great place to volunteer, and wonder and explore!
7. Pit Park: Again, loads to do and help with if so inclined.
8. Freyberg or Lido swimming pools: Both great all year but Lido has outdoor facilities for summer, and water slides for children aged 8+.
9. Vertex Climbing Gym - Park Road - Rock climbing - can cope with approximately 4yrs and up.
10. Te Manawa: A museum and science centre, loads of kid-friendly activities including a house and playhouse set up for kids (all indoor so fab on wet days) and many things free.
11. Beaches: Great to get everyone outdoors and do fun activities with all the family. Collecting shells/ pipis, fishing, swimming, cafes, playground, walks.
12. Makino Pool, Feilding: Great indoor/outdoor pool which is family friendly with large outdoor shade cover and bbq facilities. Late nights during summer.
13. Mini Golf Feilding: Great little mini golf, situated next to the Makino Pool and Park!
14. Focal Point Cinema Feilding: Fabulous cinema that has started showing kids films! Comfy seats, family friendly service with cafe and restaurant! Great for those rainy days.