Thanks to our Facebook friends for their family-friendly suggestions of what to do in Christchurch.
Here are 16 great activities for preschoolers and their parents:
1. Willowbank Wildlife Park: A great for kids to explore and see birds, wildlife and farm. Feed the eels, and the farm animals. In the weekends they have donkey rides.
2. Orana Wildlife Park features zebras, giraffes, lions, and cheetahs.
3. Halswell miniature trains: A great day out with cheap train rides, ducks, playground and enough space to have a picnic.
4. Ferrymead: Take a step back in time and enjoy this theme park (the only ride is a ride in an old tram). They have old style tea rooms, and shops etc that you can see what it was like in the old days.
5. The Christchurch Gondola gives you wonderful views of the city, mountains, oceans and harbour. You can also explore the Time Tunnel, a dramatic reconstruction of the history of the Port Hills and Christchurch once you arrive at the top. Also has a cafe.
6. Canterbury Museum: It has a hands-on approach to discovery - bursting with wonderful things such as digging for fossils. It costs $2 per person, under-threes are free.
7. Halswell Quarry is a unique 60.4ha park. Important historic buildings from the quarrymen’s days are being preserved and the once noisy rock face is now a quiet park full of short walks and wetland ponds. Also features six sister city gardens.
8. Christchurch Botanical Gardens: Settled in Hagley Park are these amazing gardens. There is a playground for the kids and a free pool in summer. While on the way check out some of the tallest and oldest trees!
9. Sumner beach: It as a playground area and also a cafe.
10. Christchurch Airport: Watch the planes land and take off!
11. Arion Farm Education Park, Harewood: Get to see and touch a variety of farm animals, ride a pony and have fun in the playground.
12. Take the Lyttleton ferry over to Quail Island - a great place to explore, have a treasure hunt, swim (if it’s warm).
13. Paddle down the Avon River. Hire a boat or paddle boat on the Avon River. You can watch the ducks.
14. The Airforce Museum: Good for toddlers and older children - they run a treasure hunt with prizes at the end and there’s a kids’ play area where you can see all the planes.
15. International Antarctic Centre: This is a favourite with the little ones who particularly love the little blue penguins
16. Christchurch Trams: The trams are a hit now, they go through the new parts of the centre city and learn about the old.