Makes 8. Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup plain flour
¼ cup wheatgerm
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
2 free-range eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated pumpkin
½ cup chopped hazelnuts
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup pumpkin seeds for decoration
1 quantity icing (see below)
50g coloured sprinkles or cachous for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add eggs and oil and mix until just combined. Fold in pumpkin, hazelnuts and raisins.
3. Divide mix evenly between lightly greased cupcake moulds or muffin tins.
4. Bake for 20–25 minutes. Allow to cool
in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks.
5. Ice when completely cool, and decorate with pumpkin seeds and sprinkles.
juice of 1 lemon
230g cream cheese, softened
50g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla paste
1. Beat together lemon juice, cream cheese and butter.
2. Add icing sugar and vanilla paste and continue to beat until smooth.
Recipes extracted from Fast: Good Home Cooking by Michael Van de Elzen
Published by Random House, RRP$49.99